• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nintendo Comments on Changes in Western Localization of Fire Emblem Fates

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:05 am Reply with quote
"No expression which might be considered as gay conversion or drugging that occurs between characters,"

Yeah I can see why they might want to follow up on such a blatantly discriminatory statement, but damage done IMO. Really badly handled, hope the PR blowback is as it should be. I've defended the right of a video game company to do what it wants with it's own property during localization before, but that kind of statement is a huge overstep.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:23 am Reply with quote
Still not sure how to feel about this. Like, it's clear that Nintendo is only changing it to avoid controversy overseas, despite the fact that there are Japanese people who were also upset about the game disastrously handling the very concept of gay people.
FtKaru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:30 am Reply with quote
Still upset about "Rhajat"
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:40 am Reply with quote
How about Nintendo address the blatant short selling of their collector and special editions over and over.

They could have gotten out of this one by maybe changing the potion to a spell (remove the date rape notions) and when they fall in love use the excuse that love is blind and that it is not that she now likes men but rather she has fallen in love with the protag's personality or something. At the same time they could make it so that she is distracted by cute things/girls but still hetero.

I would also not mind if a select number of the potential relationship characters changed their sexual orientation based on the Protag's gender, just for variety and because sometimes you just want to be married to a certain character regardless of your protag's gender.
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:48 am Reply with quote
The amount of people threatening boycott over this miniscule change is ridiculous. I mean seriously if you're going to not buy a game just because of a small change in a completely optional side-quest you probably werent that interested in buying the game in the first place.

I think the whole character sounds utterly awful, but that wouldnt have stopped me from wanting the game, edit or not. And yet, the people like me who are offended are the ones who get accused of 'overreacting' by the people loudly yelling about how they'll never by a translated nintendo game ever again now Rolling Eyes
Nosehair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:02 am Reply with quote
tumblr/reddit having a heyday over this one boys. people who only have two feelings, "offended" and "not." now they are targeting nintendo. when will it stop? never. it's easy to get upset about something. it's a challenge to find something to compliment.

spoiler[too many low-road taking bandwagoning talentless nazis.] really wish they would stop harassing everyone, especcially those who are only trying to make a fun child's game. they even added gay as an option to try and appease them. big mistake, the lesson learned here is the worst thing you can do is acknowledge that the tumblr/reddit crowd and their opinions exist. sure they might have complained saying why no gay option? but would have moved on to the next target soon enough. but now they have removed gay conversion, im sure most stopped reading after that and went straight to tumblr/reddit to find all the other winners who were just appalled by such a devastating act of hate.

tl;dr? then oh well tl;drspoiler[ nobody is forcing anyone to read here]

Last edited by Nosehair on Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:03 am Reply with quote
Oh well I dont like same sex marriage anyway.
sharkjack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:56 am Reply with quote
I think characterizing this as a side-quest diminishes the impact. For people who recruit Soleil, this is not some minor point to the side, it is one of her support conversations, often a highlight for character development because it literally and figuratively strengthens the bonds between the most used members in your army, creating emotional attachment beyond their stats.

Fire emblem used to have more diversity in the support relationships, both in terms of characters that were gay and just in terms of how the highest levels of supports ended up affecting the characters. Fire emblem Awakening turned the support system into a marriage system, which had the problem of reducing supports between women and men to if they were going to marry or not.

When If/fates was announced, they said they would fix that, but that fix distinguishes between same sex and 'regular' marriage.

So in all of this when it was found out that one of the characters was written to 'fall for girls' but only be able to marry male characters, that didn't sit too well, and when it was then discovered that her way to marry a guy involved her getting her drink spiked with a drug without her knowing, and her falling in love with the main character as a result, a lot of people took offense to that.

It doesn' t matter that it ended up turning out okay, because that is something the writer has too much arbitrary control over. What matters is that one of the few characters who is coded gay, has no gay options and is treated in a way that subtextually justifies gay conversion therapy.

It is entirely fair for that to piss people off enough not to buy the game. The original post that started this mess was intended to let people make that informed decision.

I'll have to see what the translated version of the conversation ends up being before judging it, but the overall problem of how they deal with marriage won't change, so it will always be a band aid solution.
Silver4000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:02 am Reply with quote
So... like... they didn't really explained the changes... only that "it's to appropriate for that particular territory".

And then they end up explaining which game has same sex marriage... they totally avoided the question...
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:12 am Reply with quote
@sharkjack: I agree with what you've said. I definitely think that people have the right to not buy this game based on that scene, I was just saying that I was still interested in it despite being offended by it as I plan to ignore this character. And that I find it ironic that I know a lot more people who refuse to buy it because of the 'censorship' when the scene and character is more offensive than this 'censorship' (I hesitate to use the term because it doesnt sound like anything is really being removed and its probably just altered dialogue) and a more legitimate reason to not buy something than 'its not exactly the same as the glorious japanese version' which was criticised in Japan anyway. However, people who are offended at the scene are said to be 'overreacting', and not the people going on about how they will never buy the game or any other nintendo games in english.

The whole thing reminds me of how a lot of the people who complain about people being too easily offended these days were the same people getting ridiculously bent out of shape over red starbucks cups.
MisterLuck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Making changes is not unusual when we localize games, and we have indeed made changes in these games. When we localize a game we do so in order to make it appropriate for that particular territory. All our choices were made from that point of view.

This is America though, we have freedom of expression. So you already failed at localizing this game.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:44 am Reply with quote
All this does is remind me that the gaming community still isn't ready for complexities of sexuality yet. Mostly because the world at large still hasn't sorted itself out in that regard.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
I didn't think they would remove them, but it's nice to have confirmation that the same-sex marriage options are still going to be there.

Nosehair wrote:
but now they have removed gay conversion, im sure most stopped reading after that and went straight to tumblr/reddit to find all the other winners who were just appalled by such a devastating act of hate.

Um, maybe I'm just not reading your post clearly, but you seem a bit confused as to what "gay conversion" actually means? You claim that "easily offended tumblr/reddit people" would see removing it as an act of hate, but it is actually gay conversion itself (the attempt to turn a gay person straight) that is the act of hate.
JDude042

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:54 am Reply with quote
I've never played a Fire Emblem game in my life, but I don't see what the big deal with this scene would have been other than the male protagonist putting a potion in said female character's drink without her consent. This character named Soleil could be bisexual at best judging from the context from the scene, or maybe she just has a complex of getting flustered around her own sex. Or how about this... maybe there was no real deep meaning behind the scene and some game designer is just laughing his, or her ass off over all the controversy they've created. It's just a video game, not real life, when is Nintendo gonna grow up and stop treating everyone like children? It's kinda ironic though considering 10+ years ago Nintendo was considered the "kiddy" console in the video game market compared Sega, Sony, etc.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:30 am Reply with quote
JDude042 wrote:
It's just a video game, not real life, when is Nintendo gonna grow up and stop treating everyone like children?

When gamers at large stop acting like children.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6