• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Diomedéa Production Assistant Opening Lists 1,800,000 Yen Salary

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
math check

Quote:
young animators in Japan only make about 1.1 million per year (about US$9,198

Quote:
1,800,000 yen yearly salary, which equates to roughly $145,000 a year.
srlracing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote
That's actually $14,500 roughly. You are off by a decimal.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
srlracing wrote:
That's actually $14,500 roughly. You are off by a decimal.

Shhh, the editors would not want something like maths to stand in the way of a juicy story, amurrican journalism standard practice.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Unlike what mangamuscle is suggesting, I've corrected the mistake. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Getting 1200 bucks a month for such a position is lower that what my research showed when i looked up what the characters on Shirobako (I found it very generic ~sorry) make: http://www.animeherald.com/2014/11/19/shirobako-infographic-sheds-light-anime-inustry-salaries/

I wouldn´t leave my library for such a backbreaking job for that amount and obviously not for a lower one. Don´t even ask my how taxes would factor in. An internship to get a foot into the door is one thing but this is a disgrace as Mc Donald employees make around that amount if my math checks out and they don´t work for 60-80+ hours a week with barley time off.
Ah producers. The unsung glue of the industry!

Last edited by residentgrigo on Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:54 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Even at a rate that is more generous than what animators can make, it still isn't much. I'm curious about that "flexible" hours part, too. Given the long hours and crunch time that is common to the industry, I wonder if that isn't their way of saying that the hours will be whatever it takes.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Not a livable wage anywhere in a first world country. Pay that production assistant more immediately like at least 30k US.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Not a livable wage anywhere in a first world country. Pay that production assistant more immediately like at least 30k US.

That will happen about the same time that employers in the USA start paying minimum wage to undocumented workers (aka as never). The simple truth is that both pay salaries of starvation because they can, no authority has or will stop them. As automation of the work force starts to produce more unemployed each year you can bet that figure will be lower five years from now because there will be more people fighting to get said position knows as Production Assistant (aka the only position no anime fan gives a damn about, so you will see no kickstarter/indiegogo campaign to give them shelter).
Paulo27

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Not a livable wage anywhere in a first world country.
Said the American.
What if I told you my parents together are making less than this, I have 2 other sisters, I'm still going to college without debts and somehow the mighty gods have not sent us into starvation or bankruptcy yet?
At this point it depends on what you consider "livable", not to mention not every country in the world has the same living costs.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Getting 1200 bucks a month for such a position is lower that what my research showed when i looked up what the characters on Shirobako (I found it very generic ~sorry) make: http://www.animeherald.com/2014/11/19/shirobako-infographic-sheds-light-anime-inustry-salaries/

If we go by that chart (which may or may not reflect the actual pay levels), the job offer is lower-paying than a part-timer...
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
If I was able to fix the financial woes for anime studio staff, all of them would be getting, after the taxes, at least $20-25,000 a year.

Realistically, I don't know what the best way to fix the working and pay conditions of such workers and still keep the anime flow going.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Paulo27 wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
Said the American.
What if I told you my parents together are making less than this, I have 2 other sisters, I'm still going to college without debts and somehow the mighty gods have not sent us into starvation or bankruptcy yet?
At this point it depends on what you consider "livable", not to mention not every country in the world has the same living costs.

Bolded out the important part. $14,500 is a livable wage in certain African and South/Central American countries. It is NOT a livable wage in Tokyo.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:38 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Paulo27 wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
Said the American.

Bolded out the important part. $14,500 is a livable wage in certain African and South/Central American countries. It is NOT a livable wage in Tokyo.
What the hell, I live in Europe, why would I reply if I didn't live in a first world country? It might not be a livable wage in Tokyo but man do you sound dumb being like "everyone needs to make a $100k per year or they'll starve."
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:51 am Reply with quote
Paulo27 wrote:
What the hell, I live in Europe, why would I reply if I didn't live in a first world country

And I'm supposed to know this how..? Paulo could be a Portuguese name, which could imply you live in Brazil.

Quote:
It might not be a livable wage in Tokyo but man do you sound dumb being like "everyone needs to make a $100k per year or they'll starve."

Where did I say that a livable wage was $100K? You live in Europe and yet you have no concept of your government supplementing the cost of housing, food, health care, etc? I'd say you're the one being dumb. Housing costs are incredibly high in Tokyo. Food prices are high in Tokyo. The only thing that's perhaps reasonable when compared to many areas of the US is the cost of using the subway. However, when you're making only a couple hundred yen an hour, you're probably working half your day to earn enough money just to pay to go to/from work. There is no way you can survive on $14.5K without some financial help there.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:23 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Paulo27 wrote:
What the hell, I live in Europe, why would I reply if I didn't live in a first world country

And I'm supposed to know this how..? Paulo could be a Portuguese name, which could imply you live in Brazil.

Quote:
It might not be a livable wage in Tokyo but man do you sound dumb being like "everyone needs to make a $100k per year or they'll starve."

Where did I say that a livable wage was $100K? You live in Europe and yet you have no concept of your government supplementing the cost of housing, food, health care, etc? I'd say you're the one being dumb. Housing costs are incredibly high in Tokyo. Food prices are high in Tokyo. The only thing that's perhaps reasonable when compared to many areas of the US is the cost of using the subway. However, when you're making only a couple hundred yen an hour, you're probably working half your day to earn enough money just to pay to go to/from work. There is no way you can survive on $14.5K without some financial help there.
Please don't turn my argument around and use it against me, that's mean, because that's exactly what I'm saying, hence the "said the American" you shouldn't be judging how other people live based on their wage when you're just comparing it to your own, "not a livable wage in a first world country", well, I just proved otherwise, that was all I wanted to say.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1