• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ellcia now released by ADV

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Area88

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:34 am Reply with quote
ADV have just released another back catalogue title today called Ellcia. It looks really interesting and fantasy anime are in short supply. Anyone else geting this?

Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:26 pm Reply with quote
It does sound entertaining, I did plan on picking it up at some point but since it's just a one shot OVA but unfortunately I've got other series that drain my budget. Confused
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
That art reminds me a lot of the series 12 Kingdoms....perhaps I should take a look at the encyclopedia to see it's something up my alley.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:35 pm Reply with quote
According to Amazon, this OAV was released on VHS in the US back in 1998, although the encyclopedia says it's from 1993 (I tend to trust the latter). For something that has been around so long, there aren't many reviews floating around for it on the net, and the ones that I did find were not all that complimentary. The terms mediocre and formulaic keep coming up.

If anyone has actually seen this, it would be nice to hear some opinions, but so far it's looking like a title that I'm going to pass on.
Area88

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:26 am Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:

If anyone has actually seen this, it would be nice to hear some opinions, but so far it's looking like a title that I'm going to pass on.

Just found this : Animeondvd Review

Kruszer wrote:
It does sound entertaining, I did plan on picking it up at some point but since it's just a one shot OVA but unfortunately I've got other series that drain my budget. Confused

It's not, it has 4 episodes like Ruin Explorers.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:
Just found this : Animeondvd Review

Ahh. Thanks. AoD was one of the first places I checked, but that review wasn't up yet when I made my other post. It's a bit more comprehensive than the other reviews I found, but comments like this one are not too encouraging:

The AnimeOnDVD Review wrote:
Usually there's something in the various shows that helps it to stand out more than the others but for this one it seems like the mix of technology is the only piece they wanted to use. Ellcia comes across as somewhat bland and entirely predictable. When the major characters take the stage it's not a bad show, but when it focuses on the minor characters of the pirate crew and sticks with them for a bit you just can't wait for it to finish out.

I'd still like to hear some comments from anyone on the forums that has actually seen it, but I'm not feeling the urge to run out and get it.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I managed to get around to watching this DVD last night. It has been sitting on my shelf for a couple of weeks since I'm plowing through all those Geneon sale DVDs. I looked at the animeondvd review and will once again say that they are really generous on their audio/video ratings. The gave Ellcia a B+ and B, which I would reserve for a typical release saving the A slot for truly special DVDs. I would give Ellcia a D for video since it is one of the worse transfers I've ever seen. There is so much noise and aliasing in the transfer that my eyes hurt.

The length mentioned on the DVD is 100 min, but the DVD was about an hour longer than that. The show itself had much in common with the newer Mars Daybreak. Although they are superfical similarites (like the Evangelion, RahXephon debate) they are numerous. I would suggest you wait a couple of months and buy the Mars Daybreak box set which I found much more entertaining.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's not, it has 4 episodes like Ruin Explorers.

Yes replace the acrynym OVA with DVD and you'll have the meaning I was trying to convey with my sleep impaired self that night. Confused
coffee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
It's on my netflix queue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I saw this a few years ago on a TV somewhere in my friends house, they owned it i guess, i watched the last 2 episodes and i was kind of confused although it looked cool so im gonna have to watch this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1