• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cash Cows: The Good, the Bad, and the Downright Horrible.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:10 am Reply with quote
[[Note: This topic is going to cross multiple formats of media, including anime, manga, novels, video games, and tokusatsu. However, this is probably the best forum for it, since, at least to start, it'll be anime and tokusatsu discussed. Mods, if you feel it better in another forum, feel free to move it]]

We all know about cash cows. Those series that every company wishes to have, that pretty much gives them a license to print money. Do note, however, that there is a difference between a franchise and a cash cow, though the two can and often do go hand in hand.

When they're done good, they're a boon to fans, who are constantly clamoring for more and more story. When done bad, the fans just roll their eyes and wait for it to end. And then there's those that get the fans up in arms, pissed off, and wanting to do violence to someone.

What are your opinions? Can they be done right? What are some of your favorites? Least favorites? Ones that should burn in a fire?

For me, one of the best I've seen is Kamen Rider Den-O. I know that some people disagree, but with the easy aspect of time travel, it's easy to cross over with other tokusatsu titles, although there are still times when it's a bit stretched. My personal favorite was the Cho Kamen Rider Den-O: Episode Yellow movie (last of the specifically Den-O movies, though he has shown up in further movies), which was more about Kamen Rider DiEnd (from Kamen Rider Decade) than any of the Den-O cast.

I can't think of a "bad" off the top of my head right now, but for downright horrible... can we please let Persona 4 die already? 2 games, 3 spin-off games, and we're on our second anime adaptation. At least Persona 3 only got 2 full releases (technically the 2nd US release, FES, was an expansion, but they re-released the original game along with it in the US) and an anime sequel (which Persona 4 has since retconned away anyway).
Bango

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:32 am Reply with quote
For some reason whenever anything Ah My Goddess or Tenchi (and spinoffs) pops up I roll my eyes. I absolutely loved them back in the day but now it's kind of like a good friend who said they needed to crash at your place for a couple of days and it's been 3 months. I still love them but I wish they'd get off my couch and move on. I'm afraid of growing to dislike them. That's Tenchi and AMG for me. Since it goes so many years between new content I... I guess I'd rather they just be put to rest.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:50 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I can't think of a "bad" off the top of my head right now, but for downright horrible... can we please let Persona 4 die already? 2 games, 3 spin-off games, and we're on our second anime adaptation. At least Persona 3 only got 2 full releases (technically the 2nd US release, FES, was an expansion, but they re-released the original game along with it in the US) and an anime sequel (which Persona 4 has since retconned away anyway).

100% agreed. As a guy who just feels so neutral about Persona series, I'm sick of anything related to it and waifu talk. Wish Atlus does something with its mainline or devil summoner series.

As for the series that are quite doing alright and would like some more, Oregairu originally a light novel has become a hit, now they already released a series, video game and possibly drama CD and are planning to release a sequel this year. That can only be a good thing. There are already a wealth of great side characters I want more screen time of.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1