• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
suggestions please for romance anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xxfriskoplaya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:30 pm Reply with quote
The type of romance anime i like are the ones that have:
1.) good character design (must!)
2.) the main character MUST NOT wear glasses (ex. love hina)
3.) good plot / story line (ex. ouran koko host club / shakugan no shana)

Genres (prefered)=
-shounen, romance, drama, supernatural(shakugan no shana)
-romance, drama supernatural(karin, shuffle!)
-comedy, drama, slice of life, romance(school rumble s1 s2, kamisama kazoku)
-comedy, drama, ecchi, romance(green green tv)
i dont care about ecchi or fanservice, im just kind of at an anime block. i like the character design on shakugan no shana and air tv and most of the other romance animes I've seen are good too. ill make a list at the bottom. it doesnt necessarily need to be in a school-life setting but it is recommended. An anime like school rumble or Tsuyokiss would be good. Thanks!

I like shakugan no shana / bleach / naruto because it has a bit of romance in it, but its more centered to the action side. also, the guy in shakugan no shana is special, but he's a weakling so it kinda kills the atmosphere for me. Any anime like this?

Mostly i like school rumble because it is really funny and its balanced in its romance. hanbun no tsuki noboru sora and kimi ga nozomu eien are just really good series too. They are basically anime centered around teenagers and its realistic in its own way. I dont mind fantasy too. As long as its not cheesy.

ADDED!= i jus took a liking to fantasy/romance animes also. Anything like Tsubasa Chronicle / Zero No Tsukaima is also up for suggestions. Thank you!!

Anime I Have Seen
shakugan no shana
love hina
school rumble
school rumble ni gakki
this ugly yet beautiful world
karin
shuffle!
maburaho
final approach
memories off OVA 2
wind~a breath of heart
air TV
ouran koko host club
amaenaideyo!
amaenaideyo! katsu!
fruits basket
inuyasha (if its considered romance)
tokyo underground
kimi ga nozomu eien
chobits
peach girl
ai yori aoshi
ai yori aoshi enishi
hanbun no tsuki sora
da capo S1
da capo S2
kamisama kazoku
green green tv

PLEASE DONT LINK THE (10 BEST / 5 WORST) THREAD[/b]

Last edited by xxfriskoplaya on Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:35 pm; edited 7 times in total
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, you've got a few blatantly obvious choices, but here's my go at it.

#1 - Oh! My Goddess OAV/Ah! My Goddess TV series

It's the gold standard of romance in anime. Belldandy and Keiichi have been the First Couple of Anime since about 1990, and are still going strong. And if you want great character designs, then you're in for a treat because this is one of Kosuke Fujishima's works and he's one of the best.

#2 - Chobits

Chobits is fun, but has a quite poignant side to its love story. The CLAMP artwork is some of the finest out there, and the series is well on its way to being one of the classics.

#3 - Ai Yori Aoshi

It's a bit like Oh! My Goddess without the fantasy elements in that it's a very well constructed romance with very multi-dimensional characters. On top of the series' core romance, you have a multitude of great characters whose presence is plenty more than eye candy. If Love Hina had been, you know, GOOD, it would've been Ai Yori Aoshi.

#4 - Maison Ikkoku

One of the few times Rumiko Takahashi has lived up to her hype. A truly lovely and fairly mature romance that always seems to put a smile on viewer's faces. It's quite humorous, thanks to the eccentric cast surrounded the couple, but at its core it's a very touching classic of a series.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:07 pm Reply with quote
If you don't mind drama and a serious romance story, try Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. The first two episodes are somewhat uninteresting, but once you get past that, the plotline strengthens immensely. From there's a dangerous love triangle, many exciting twists and turns along the way, tear-jerker scenes in which you can't help but sympathize with the main characters, and bits of comedy relief scattered among the serious romance-driven plotline. The animation and character designs are both pretty good, and I don't recall seeing any glasses either (maybe in a minor character that doesn't serve much importance). There are some sex scenes, but they aren't very graphic and are short enough to not detract from the overall storyline. In fact, in a way, it even enhances the storyline, since sex leads to some of the problems throughout the series. The main characters are also out of high school already during the main part of the series (except for the little sister). The series as a whole is not light-hearted like Love Hina or Amaenaideyo! though; it most closely resembles the latter episodes of Shuffle!, if you've gotten there already.

A short, 6-episode series somewhat like KimiNozo is Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora. It is a sweet, serious romance story involving two patients in a hospital. Doesn't sound very exciting, but the main female lead doesn't act like an ill person at all; she's pretty energetic and full of life. Character designs are pretty good (more "chibi" than KimiNozo) and animation isn't bad, and the background music is pretty good as well, giving the series a nice "relaxed" feel throughout. Many of the characters are also quite interesting in what they do when they're in desperation. Overall, a solid romance story backed up by a strong plot and characters.

Even shorter than Hantsuki is REC, and it is much more light hearted tha the other two. It is about a female seiyuu who meets an ordinary company employee, and as the seiyuu slowly rises to stardom, her relationship with the main male lead, Matsumaru, develops as well. Like KimiNozo, the characters are long out of high school already. Good animation, good character designs, and the main female lead is so eccentric and full of life that you can't help but squeal in delight (I did anyway). It's only nine 12-minute episodes, but it is still a fine watch with a solid plot.

Mai-HiME actually takes place in a high school (yay!), and it is an action-driven series with some romance (much like Shakugan no Shana). The animation is good, character designs are really good, and the soundtrack is just brilliant. The plotline moves slow in the first half of the series, but the second half gets so exciting that you can't help but finish all of it in one go after Episode 16. There is a very large cast, and all of the characters receive fair amounts of character development, especially toward the second half of the series. The first half is light-hearted and comedical, and the second half is much darker in tone and features more action. The main character is female though, so you might be seeing the romance from a different perspective.

Last edited by frentymon on Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
caseclosedfan414

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, if you liked Love Hina, then you'd probably like Tenchi Muyo. Tenchi Muyo is a harem (it has one guy surrounded by man girls), just like Love Hina, so, of course, it's funny. It also has an Action/Adventure plotline, making it even better. Although it doesn't revolve around Romance, I'd say it has some, because the other girls love Tenchi and are constantly fighting over him. LOL! It's Romance is pretty light-hearted, though, so you might not like it if you're looking for serious Romance. Anyway, it's a good show, and I think you'd like it. And, BTW, as far as I can remember, Tenchi doesn't wear glasses. LOL!
xxfriskoplaya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:13 pm Reply with quote
wooo! thank you all! actually i guess i accidently skipped some in my watched anime list. xP sorry hehe.
keep em comin!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:28 pm Reply with quote
xxfriskoplaya, be a good sport and read this if you haven't already. Change your opener to fit the criteria, or I'm locking this.

I would've locked it on the spot when I woke up this morning, but you've already got people replying with good posts (aside from Area88's list...), so I didn't want to kill their efforts just yet.

You have till the end of today to comply (being midnight CST). Thanks and good luck.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Hmm,

REC: Short but very good and quite realistic. Also happens to be an interesting look into the worl of seiyuu. Probably has one of the most normal and real male leads in anime, highly reccomended.

Midori Days: Cute and funny, definitely a feel good show with all-around likeable characters. Not te mention that having a girl with a crush on you suddenly becoming you hand is a very original idea.

Koi Kaze: Bit controvertial as its between a brother and his younger sister, but bar none the BEST romance anime to date from the animation to the realism to the emotional impact.

I have also heard very good things about Miyazaki's Whisper of the heart, allthough I have not yet seen it.
xxfriskoplaya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
xxfriskoplaya, be a good sport and read this if you haven't already. Change your opener to fit the criteria, or I'm locking this.

i've read it all already. the only thing im missing is the "my anime" thingy. I'm still finishing it, so ill have it done before tomorrow. thanks for the warning though =D. Ill replace the link to "my anime" with the list i provided. or something like that

also, i forgot to say and ill put it at the first post, but im lookin for an anime with "good" animation, so old animes i wouldnt really prefer. i'd say the oldest vintage would probably be 1999. thanks again!

Last edited by xxfriskoplaya on Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
xxfriskoplaya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:

Koi Kaze: Bit controvertial as its between a brother and his younger sister, but bar none the BEST romance anime to date from the animation to the realism to the emotional impact.

I have also heard very good things about Miyazaki's Whisper of the heart, allthough I have not yet seen it.

I also forgot, I watched Da Capo S1 and S2 and to tell you the truth, and no offense to anyone who liked it, I was hoping that by the end of S1 he would break it off with his sister, and in the beginning of S2 i had my hopes up but then she came back. So basically the idea of bro / sis relationship even if its not by blood makes me sick xP thanks anyway!
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:50 pm Reply with quote
In addition to those already mentioned so far, I'd recommend these two movies by Makato Shinkai:

Voices of a Distant Star

Beyond the Clouds

The first one in particular is written brilliantly, though Voices is also disturbingly sad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xxfriskoplaya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:14 pm Reply with quote
cool thanks!

anybody know where i can see Mai-hime episodes?
all the eps on you tube seem to be deleted xP
is it licenced or something?

THIS IS NOT A QUESTION FOR DOWNLOADS
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Yep, it's licensed by Bandai. Three DVDs out of seven are out so far, so you should be able to find them in some store or order it online somewhere.

Note: It's spelled "My-HiME" in the US release as opposed to "Mai-HiME".

[EDIT] You should probably go back and edit your first post and tell us about what you liked/did not like about some of the series that you listed.
xxfriskoplaya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote
i didn't say that xP the mod did. i liek your list and thanks for your contributions
xxfriskoplaya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:04 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Yep, it's licensed by Bandai. Three DVDs out of seven are out so far, so you should be able to find them in some store or order it online somewhere.

Note: It's spelled "My-HiME" in the US release as opposed to "Mai-HiME".

[EDIT] You should probably go back and edit your first post and tell us about what you liked/did not like about some of the series that you listed.

ohh ok hehe ic no wonder why i couldnt find it on you tube. I'll buy it soon because the first ep is interesting. However, while im on vocation are there any animes similar to it?

ALSO= i heard eureka seven is good. is there a lot of romance? or is it more to the action side?
Pleroma

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:47 pm Reply with quote
There is a good amount of action but the core is definitely a romance. Now that I think about it given some of the shows you mentioned I would recomend Eureka 7 very much.

(PS: Koi Kaze is NOTHING like Da capo, and a very... human tale. Just clearing that up ^^)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2