• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/Stay Night ending *SPOILER WARNING*

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nirvana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm just wondering if anyoen else was dissatisfied wtih FSN's ending. The series itself was wonderful, good characters and a very good story. Besides Shirou's overly helping nature, his character to me was solid. Saber was a great character as well. True to her ideals and focusing on it without letting anything get in her way. However, the ending seemed so abrupt. It was obviously going to end at 24, but... the way it ending... was so dissatisfying. I dont know what to say about it... nothing happened that we didn't expect.
Some things I'm wondering about is with Saber -- did she remember Shirou? Did she know that her "dream" really did occur? I felt this series ended with me asking more questions than I'm comfortable with.
I know this is a big part of the story, but I sadly never understood it -- maybe its why I didn't enjoy the ending, but what EXACTLy did Saber need to do? What part of being a king did she not fulfill?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I think she realized that the dream was real and I'm positive she remembered Shirou.

As for what Saber needed to do or what she didn't fullfill... I think you need to look into the King Aurthur mythology for that, which I am not familiar with.
omar235

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:53 pm Reply with quote
The thing that saber AKA king Aurthor regreted was killing bedivere. Thats what happend in the last dream that shirou had of Sabers past. After she said bye to Shirou she was transported back to her time where instead of battling bendivere for the throne she asked her to throw her sword back into the lake where it was created. You see thats what oringinally happened in the legend and that last battle against Bedivere is what killed King Aurthor, in the end she still died from fatal wounds from some battle.
Although in the oringinal story it was king Aurthors son who delt the fatal wound.

sad ending though. Crying or Very sad I hope she gets to see shirou again.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I had little hope for good ending seeing as the original source material is a Type/Moon game and having previously seen Tsukihime spoiler[which ends basically the same way.]. However, the fights in the last episode were interesting. My only real gripe is that some of the best threads of story from the game were not brought into play such as the fact that Archer spoiler[is actually a future version of Emiya who bittered by a crappy life makes a pact to be a servant with the intention of killing his past self. Due to the incomplete summoning by Rin though he's unable to remember this at first.] No mention of that was made in the series though.
Ilikeulikeme

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I think they left alot of stuffo out from the game. I wish they would have explored the other stories more, but oh well nothing we can do.
I also felt the ending was kinda hasty like they kinda just gave up, it feels like they wanted to keep going but just stopped, yeah?
p.s. I still want to buy it though
Nirvana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:32 am Reply with quote
Hmm, even though I understand the story a lot better now, thanks to you guys, what'd you guys think of the ending? I still dont find it very fulfilling =/
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:28 am Reply with quote
spoiler[The ending was pretty similar to what I got in the end of Tsukihime which was a bittersweet farewell. I still enjoyed the epilouge stuff like how Fuji-nee and Ilya became a comedy duo.]
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think there was anything wrong with the ending. Think about it this way, she's a heroic spirit again so she might meet shiru again. Very Happy
Nirvana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:22 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
I didn't think there was anything wrong with the ending. Think about it this way, she's a heroic spirit again so she might meet shiru again. Very Happy

To me, it wasn't the fact that she couldnt see Shirou again, I think it was more the fact that she chose to not see Shirou again, I guess I was just expcecting something miraculous (sp?) but got what everyone was able to predict...

One more question, about the Holy Grail. I thought int he end Kimotone (forgot how to spell his name, but the minister of the church) said that the Holy Grail just destroyed, but didn't grant people's wishes? Or was that because that is what he wished for...? I dind't understand the Holy Grail concept too much either... =/
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Well the grail consept is explaned in more detail in the other two serneros in the game. Just like everything else is. Just wish Anime had piced a different path Like the UBW good ending.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I didn't mind the ending. I just didn't think that the fighting would end halfway into the ep, though. =\

Nirvana: The guy's name is Kirei Kotomine.

I didn't start watching the series until last week, but was able to catch up to Ep. 23 the day before the release of the final ep. I thought it was overrated (which led me to prolong my viewing of it), but I understood all the hype soon enough. Smile

After watching it, I certainly wouldn't mind if Fate/hollow ataraxia gets animated into a series.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
I didn't mind the ending. I just didn't think that the fighting would end halfway into the ep, though. =\

I kinda expected that they would leave room for some happy fun time near the end. It was actually pretty predictable, until the very end, with the stuff about the dream. Good thing Shirou took Saber's departure well, and didn't breakdown or something like that.

The ending is almost like Midori no Hibi in a way, with the female lead waking up, thinking it was a dream, but remembering it was a very pleasant dream. Except, Saber probably realized at the very end that it was real, and not actually just a dream.

Though, there's still lots of stuff I don't understand, particularly the stuff about her duty and the stuff about the holy grail...
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:15 pm Reply with quote
The minister of the church was mistaken, the reason it destroyed that small town was because of his wish. Not to get into religion to much but the Holy Grail isnt an evil artifact, or at least it never was depicted that way. But in a few books I read depending on who possed the Holy Grail and how they used it would decide if it was evil or not. I dont think they needed to destroy the Holy Grail because if they used it, it would be purified. Of course they destroyed it to try and end the war.
So anyways it was because the minister of the church was evil and the wish he made was destructive, that made the Grail tainted.
Also its not that she didn't want to stay with him its just they believed the Grail needed to be destoyed, and if it is destroyed there is no way she could've stayed in Shiru's time.
But on a lighter note in the sequel it looks like Saber is back, along with a few of the characters- though Im not completely sure because the previews were misleading. Wow that was a lot to type. Very Happy

And about the duty she didn't full fill I think its that she was defeated and the enemy king took over her country. If you watch a few of the real movies like the American mini series "
"Merlin" they show the final battle. an easier way is to go to google and type in King Arthur and you will get a lot of information on King Arthur and his quest for the Holy Grail. You
will also learn the legend of the holy grail. Very Happy
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I take back what I said her country wasnt taken over the capitol city was destoyed. so thats what she failed to do, she failed to protect her "Avolon" thats what they ment in the end of episode 23 when they said " the name of the city I want to protect", then Saber and Shiru said "Avolon" (by the way it means perfection). It all makes sence now. Very Happy
If I end up to be wrong fell free to correct me.

Hey check this website out it has information about the oringinal ledgend.http://www.kingarthursknights.com/arthur/legendary.asp

Last edited by omar235 on Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:05 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Buster Blader 126 wrote:

I kinda expected that they would leave room for some happy fun time near the end.

I fully expected the fighting to only last half of the episode at the most. And I think its better that way.

I hate it when a series ends with a ton of fighting, the bad guy is defeated, the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3