• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Reviews on dub quality anywhere?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vortextk

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:02 am Reply with quote
I am definitely a fan of well done dubs. They're nice when I can't be staring at the screen or when it's very late(or early, 2-4am) and reading text isn't the easiest thing to do. Also, I just like to hear good acting in english sometimes. I've really liked some dubs that I've watched recently.

Anyway, the only site that I've found the deals with this subject is dubreview.com. Is that it? The site definitely has little content for the vast amount of major dubbed releases out. I'm sure it's hard getting reviews for this kind of thing. I just wanted to know if there was any other place that discussed dubs.

And yeah, I really don't need anyone telling me dubs are horrible etc. It won't be helping.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:10 am Reply with quote
Well there was the Dub Track, but the reviewer decided to move on. I wonder if Key could revive that column. Rolling Eyes
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:19 am Reply with quote
Dubreview.com is the only one I'm aware of, most ANN reviews do comment on the dubs though although not to any great depth and unfortunately ANN reviews tend to be a bit late and only on the 1st volumes. I don't know if AoD does or has done reviews of dubs in the past, they always specify which audio option they chose but I don't think I've read a review there yet that wasn't Japanese so I'm not sure if that's done just for consistency in their layout.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
-gecko-

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:32 am Reply with quote
I believe that alot of the reviews at AnimeonDVD mention the quality of the dub on a DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I don't know if AoD does or has done reviews of dubs in the past, they always specify which audio option they chose but I don't think I've read a review there yet that wasn't Japanese so I'm not sure if that's done just for consistency in their layout.

They have done dub reviews from time to time, but they're not too frequent. Anime on DVD has a section in their fora called "The English Track" where we can discuss the overall quality of dubs, the actors' performances, and so on. Occasionally some of the dub actors themselves post there. I know that Chris Patton, Luci Christian, Caitland Glass, Sam Regal, Liam O'Brien, and Chris Ayers made ossasional posts in the AoD fora from time to time.

As a example, here's a screener review for Diamond Daydreams Vol. 1 that AoD posted a couple of months ago. It contains comments about the dub work.
Key

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:45 pm Reply with quote
All full-length ANN reviews do specifically cover the English dub unless one isn't available to be reviewed. In the vast majority of cases what's worth saying about the dub job can be covered in a full paragraph, two at most, so IMO only in special cases is a separate review or column about a dub job warranted.

Examples of special cases would be a title where there's a lot of controversy over the quality of a dub (such as One Piece) or radical changes are done in the dub (such as Ghost Stories), but those cases only come up three or four times a year.

As for me picking up the Dub Track column? I'd considered volunteering to do so, but my reasons for not going that route are pretty much the same as the technical reasons Ryan Matthews mentioned in his Goodbye column about why he wasn't going to be doing the column anymore. I also respect Ryan's recommendation that whoever picks up the column should be an industry professional. While I do some professional writing besides this site and Protoculture Addicts, I am not otherwise involved in the anime industry so I don't fit the profile. I'm really just a critic-minded fan who can write good. Cool

Edit: Spelling error

Last edited by Key on Thu May 04, 2006 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:42 pm Reply with quote
There is a website the specifically reviews the dubs of anime DVDs, but I don't remember what the site was now.
ananda

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:36 pm Reply with quote
As somebody has already mentioned, I also recommend: dubreview.com

Here is the direct-link to it:
http://www.dubreview.com/browse.php?PHPSESSID=373b0154148a3ac531c6235f582a7485

What I like about this Site is, that they have many English Clips you can listen to.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:36 am Reply with quote
And of course, there are some reviews written by me there, too! Smile

-Jon T.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:32 am Reply with quote
I listed dubreview in my original post guys =) I believe the layout of that particular site would lead it to be the top in the field, except that it's rather sparse on actual reviews. Sucks because I think the reviews it does have are well done and the little rating system is very well done as well. I just wanted other places that talked about english tracks as well to give me ideas. I'm more open to dubs than most but I still wanted to try to get some info beforehand. Thanks for all the sites, I'll check them out.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:26 am Reply with quote
Okay, The Dub Review was the one I was thinking of.
B-Rad Lascelle

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
As for me picking up the Dub Track column? I'd considered volunteering to do so, but my reasons for not going that route are pretty much the same as the technical reasons Ryan Matthews mentioned in his Goodbye column about why he wasn't going to be doing the column anymore. I also respect Ryan's recommendation that whoever picks up the column should be an industry professional. While I do some professional writing besides this site and Protoculture Addicts, I am not otherwise involved in the anime industry so I don't fit the profile. I'm really just a critic-minded fan who can write good. Cool

While it would be grand to tap into the perspective of a vaunted dub industry professional for a revival of the Dub Track, the challenge lies in the fact that many of the folks in the business (be it scriptwriting, directing, producing, etc.) simply do not have much in the way of free time to seek out multitudes of dubs on a monthly basis. They're lucky if they get the time to see their own stuff... let alone anyone else's. Wink

The industry does not pay well whether you're in front of the microphone or dabbling in engineering or some other technical element of the dub process. Hence most of these people either work like crazy or have second jobs so they can pay the bills... and when they do have time to give back to the fan community, it's usually in the form of convention appearances where you get immediate first-hand feedback and input.

Both the AnimeOnDVD English Track and Dubreview.com are great resources for fans of North American anime dubs. As are CrystalAcids.com and countless VA-specific mailing lists, discussion groups, blogs and MySpace sites.

That being said this IS (last I checked) the definitive anime discussion site on the net in terms of web traffic and it only makes sense to have an outlet here for dub commentary, criticism and insight. I'd love to see the column return... or some dub-geared perspective for ANN regulars... but whether someone who's worked in the industry or not is able to step up to the plate may not be a realistic expectation. It has been almost 16 months since Ryan stepped down, after all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1