• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Converting a Manga into an Anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DemonDragonJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Japanese cartoons take the forms of both manga and anime, and while each form has its strong and weak points, it is good, in my opinion, to see the same series in both manga and anime form.

So I now have three questions.

1. What is a "tankobon?"

2. When a manga is converted into an anime, how much control does the manga-ka have over the production of the anime?

3. What mangas would you like to see converted into anime? I would like to see anime series made from Zombie Powder by Kubo Tite, Sandland by Akira Toriyama, and Neon Genesis Evangelion: Angelic Days.

What about everyone else?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about the first, on #2 it depends on how much control (written legal contract) the artist has over his/her own manga. Look how many 50s, 60s, & 70s musicians had, and to this day have, no control over their product.

As for #3, I would like to see Yuu Watase's Alice 19th in anime. It's a nice well written story with a love quadrangle, two sisters in conflict with each other, bad guys, good guys and magic words. I think this would translate well into anime.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:01 pm Reply with quote
DemonDragonJ wrote:
1. What is a "tankobon?"

Manga in graphic novel form -- volume by volume, as opposed to serializing in anthological magazines.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Bosque

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:06 pm Reply with quote
DemonDragonJ wrote:

2. When a manga is converted into an anime, how much control does the manga-ka have over the production of the anime?

it's said that
MOST of the times, nothing, considering that the rights are of the companies and not of the author.
Insist, MOST of the times. But i'm not really sure.

And i would like to see all Slam Dunk animated, but with a better animation quality than the 101 episodes of the first part Anime hyperD, maybe just like the OVAs, it could be great to wathc it with music, the anime of Slam Dunk has some great songs Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:11 pm Reply with quote
2. I would suspect about as much control as an author has over the movie versions of their books, thus not much. Sometimes they are somewhat involved, or at least are privy to the production, I know Watase Yuu talks about the anime production of Fushigi Yuugi and Ayashi no Ceres in her manga sidebars a fair amount, so she saw what was going on, but didn't have any direct say in it. Also I know that Takeuchi Naeko talks about being really confused by some things that were done in the Sailor Moon anime in her artbook liner notes.

3. I also would love to see Alice 19th animated, as well as Imadoki and Fushigi Yuugi: Genbu Kaiden, both also by Watase Yuu. Given Fushigi Yuugi's popularity, I would suspect Genbu Kaiden has a good chance at animation, hopefully they other two might be picked up as well, though the fact that it hasn't happened yet is rather disheartening.
2Real

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:19 pm Reply with quote
2. From what I have seen of manga to anime shows, it depends on a few things mainly. Who the company produceing the show is. What the content of the orignal work is. Also, the budget of the show its-self. Another thing, just my speculation, is how well the manga did as far as sales, reviews, and things to that sort(the better it did the closer to its orignal it is). I have seen shows that completly go in a different direction, to a certian extent, then the manga. I have also seen shows that follow the manga almost to the word. It just depends on the company making it, and the writer alowing is work to be worked on. If the writer dosen't like a studio to bucher his manga, then chances are he won't let them work on it. If he wants money, then he might just let them. All-in-all, it just depends.
milcor1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
3. Blade of the Immortal has the potential to be a seriously bad ass anime if put into the right hands. Great action, great characters, I could see it now..... Manji vs Shira in a blood soaked battle of vivid beauty.
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:31 pm Reply with quote
DemonDragonJ wrote:

That can vary a lot. Really comes down to how busy the orginal author is on his own projects.
Like there is some manga and animes which are nearly carbon copies of each other. Eg. Naruto, Dragon Ball, Ranma 1/2.
There are some that are loosely based on the manga. Eg. Ghost In The Shell.
There are animes which continue on where the manga stopped. Eg. Dominion Tank Police, Spriggan
And there is some that just seem to go their own direction.
Eg. The multiple of Tenchi Series, s-cry-ed.

Personally I don't like reading the manga which in a based on the anime. Based on the avalability of Manga compaired to the avalability of Anime, I would rather sit down at watch the anime or the manga. Especially series that are drawn out with lots of Fighting. Eg. Shaman King.
I also don't like manga where there is a lot of fighting in them. As I have seen some pretty poorly drawn or co-ordinated fight scene in manga from time to time.

DemonDragonJ wrote:
What mangas would you like to see converted into anime?

I would really like to see Dragon Hunter moved over to manga. There is some of the fight scenes I would love to see animated.

Spriggan done as a TV series as there is a lot more books and stories.

The rest of Akira as the movie only covered 1/3 of the series. One could convert the entire story into a 24 part TV series.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:03 pm Reply with quote
milcor1 wrote:
3. Blade of the Immortal has the potential to be a seriously bad ass anime if put into the right hands. Great action, great characters, I could see it now..... Manji vs Shira in a blood soaked battle of vivid beauty.

The artwork wouldn't translated well, unless they get Samura to do the animation all by himself. This is probably one series that is exclusive to manga only and yet practially beat every other "samurai" style anime created.

#1. Go to wikipedia for any term that you're unfamilar with.
#3. It's up to the companies on how they handle the anime, not the mangaka. Once the series is license by an anime companies, the properties is in their hand. They can stay faithful to the series to applese the fan or they can make their own creation with the properties. There are many situation:
1. The mangaka is too busy working on his current series to pay attention to the anime. Thus he has no connection with the anime.
2. The anime companies ask the mangaka to work closely with them to get the detail right. The mangaka has his imput but it's up to the director that makes the decision.
3. The mangaka is upset that the anime didn't turn up the way he wanted. Anime companies are resticted by budget limitation, lenth restriction (13/26 episode) and tv restriction. Thus, some mangaka refuses to have their series license for animation.
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:29 pm Reply with quote
3) i'd love to see a deathnote anime. The manga is one of the best things around, why it is not yet an anime is beyond me...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1