• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does ADV Plan to release all of Princess Tutu?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Case

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:03 am Reply with quote
My interest in Princess Tutu is returning, and I see the ANN Encyclopedia has each DVD release marked as X/6.

Has ADV said that the series will be six volumes? Because they'd have to do 10 episodes on each of the last two discs to pull that off at this point, and I don't see that happening.

Is this an oversight, or is ADV planning to only release part of this series like they did with Super GALS?
Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:42 am Reply with quote
It could just be a case where release dates have only been announced that far ahead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:05 am Reply with quote
It's not an oversight; it's how the episodes were structured in the second story arch. ADV will release Princess Tutu over 6 DVDs.

David Williams of ADV posted here that Volume 4 of Princess Tutu, which streets on March 21, will have 5 episodes. The second story arch of Princess Tutu ("The Chapter of the Chick") were comprised of twelve 15-minute episodes (or "split" episodes like you saw in the early half of FMP Fumoffu) and a full-length episode that wrapped up the series. Based on this information and Princess Tutu's episode list, I assume that ADV is packaging the "split" episodes as one full-length episode. So, even though it says that Volume 4 will contain Episodes 14-18, in reality, the DVD will have Episodes 14-23 if you go by the ANN Encyclopedia (10 episodes). Volume 5 will have Episodes 24-31 (8 "split" episodes, or 4 full-length episodes) and the final volume will have Episodes 32-38 (6 "split" episodes and the full-length finale, or 4 full-length episodes).

In relation to this, I'm curious as to why Junichi Sato structured the second half of Tutu this way ("split" episodes).
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:
My interest in Princess Tutu is returning, and I see the ANN Encyclopedia has each DVD release marked as X/6.

Has ADV said that the series will be six volumes? Because they'd have to do 10 episodes on each of the last two discs to pull that off at this point, and I don't see that happening.

Is this an oversight, or is ADV planning to only release part of this series like they did with Super GALS?

I'm sure they would have released the second half of Super Gals, but they don't have the license for it--R2 DVDs were never released for the second half, and the original company wants to avoid "reverse importation." Then again, ADV does have a bit of a reputation for incomplete releases, as I've heard they've only done some of Saint Seiya, and the second half of Kaleido Star was delayed for a long time.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:39 am Reply with quote
I really think the way the Encyclopedia has it right now is rather confusing in my opinion. There's not 38 episodes of Princess Tutu, there's 26. It just happened that eps. 14-25 were split up for the original TV broadcast, but that doesn't reflect on the actual episode numbering at all. They split halves were combined for the Japanese DVD release, and ADV is doing the same with their release.

I'm thinking ADV will finish the series. Whatever was causing that huge delay between the first two volumes seems to have been cleared up and it's back on a normal schedule now (have first three volumes, and Vol. 4 will be coming up sometime around my birthday) Smile If you like the series, definitely continue on with it and spread the word. Princess Tutu needs all the love it can get. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1