• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why watch anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Real

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:58 am Reply with quote
I saw my pervious thread wasdeleted befor I had the chance to see others oppinions on this mattter, unfortunently this is not a place were i can speel my mind and ides, because it was deleted.

I was woundering If the Japanese culture greatly infulences the way we view anime.

I personly watch a show for theJapanese insight of how the show is viewed.

This can be contrubiuted into any anime. I find alot of humor in most of these shows, that i belive normal people can't comprehend.

Dose this mean they show hate, or respect me, for my insight into this. Im my honest oppinion, I belive it is neither.

Do you watch an anime show and gaini insight into the eastern culter, or do you watch it simple for the blood and carnage that it CAN show?

Basicly, I want to know why you watch anime.

I told you why I do, I want to see why you watch anime.

If you can not back up yout reason for wating anime in any reasonable explonation, then i might just never what anime again, weather you care or not.

This view on anime , meaning yous, can change the way people look at it in the future. Just from reading this post you can convince people to change theire views, maybe even mine.

Please, tell me why you watch anime, what keeps you watching it, what you gain from watching it, and why you think others should watch it.

* as i said befor, I belive it give insight into another cultures life, that alone makes it worth watching, I also enjoy the artistic value the style h as to it.

But, why do you think others should, or why do you, watch anime?

*I read this over and I have more then a few typos, grant it I was probly half drunk and ready to go to sleep at the time. If a mod wants me to I can re type this at a later date or time.

Last edited by 2Real on Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:24 am Reply with quote
Cool idea with the ambiguous, non-descriptive thread title. Fix it. Also, your grammar's starting to slip again, and I know I've warned you about that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
huh?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:45 pm Reply with quote
my reason is simple. i enjoy anime so i watch it. im not trying to gain a greater insight into anybodies culture, and i'm not knocking you for doing so. i just do what i like and i happen to like watching anime.

it's just entertainment
The Lance

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Ditto, it is indeed good fun entertainment. Anime doesn't strictly have to be about eastern culture, it could also be about western culture since they are a big fan of the such over there as well. Don't read too far into it.
Lapsus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Guess I am repeating myself, because I had started a threat like this before, but still..

I like Anime, that is why I watch it, but it varies from one Anime to another. Some for the humor, some for great quality and colors, but mostly for a great plot. Its possible to go in utter nonsense if I described a good anime, but the basic qualities remain the same: OK plot, nice characters, some bit of action an humor, drop of emotion and smart talak and there you have it.

That other culture stuff.. well, its true, my first anime series was Midori No Hibi, and it had lots of explenations and stuff about what and how japanese do, so it was a good lesson for me, oh european.
Guess it helps a bit/lot if you are familiar with the traditions of a country that animation/film or anything is from, its something like analysing an artist - you must know of his childhood and the time he lived in, about problems he could have encountered and so on.

If what you watch makes you think, then it was not a wasted time.
camelot187757

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:47 am Reply with quote
I watch anime because it has more substance than regular cartoons. I was basically raised on DBZ and I watched it because it was the most violent thing on television at the time sans Celebrity Deathmatch becaus I wanted more than the bubblegum bullsh*t that my parents had me watching when i was younger. But I don't watch anime for the violence I watch it because the story lines are thought out and it seems more like your watching a 10 hour long movie instead of just some series you watch to past the time. If I were give the choice I'd pick Escaflowne over Shrek everytime i had it. A good story,plot, direction ya know all that lowbrow stuff that most other cartoons lack is why I watch anime.

Oh yea Entertainment too.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:04 pm Reply with quote
My eyes are bleeding from the horrid grammar! Please make it stop!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
afnj

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:19 pm Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:

sorry not trying to flame or anything but whats the point of complaining about other peoples spelling and grammar? thats like yelling out your car window at everyone who isn't driving perfectly on the open road. There are bad spellers in the world, I'm one of them, and there are many people on this forum where english is a second laugage to them. I can see it being a problem when threads or posts are so bad no point is made but when you understand the majority of ones addition to the forum, why nit-pick? Again not trying to single you out, I see a lot of people do it here.
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:36 pm Reply with quote
afnj wrote:
areaseven wrote:

sorry not trying to flame or anything but whats the point of complaining about other peoples spelling and grammar? thats like yelling out your car window at everyone who isn't driving perfectly on the open road.
Don't think of as that. Think of it as someone honking a really loud horn. One or two spellings is fine, god didn't make anyone prefect, but people do need to try to better themselfs in that area, like myself. But really now, if English is your first and only lanuage, don't be lazy about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Lapsus wrote:
Guess it helps a bit/lot if you are familiar with the traditions of a country that animation/film or anything is from, its something like analysing an artist - you must know of his childhood and the time he lived in, about problems he could have encountered and so on.
Actually, there are large numbers of art critics that disagree with that. It is a philosophy of "take literature/art as a stand-alone piece" which is rather prevalent among the critiques circles, ignoring the authors' histories and motives.
afnj wrote:
sorry not trying to flame or anything but whats the point of complaining about other peoples spelling and grammar?
Sometimes it's rather hard to read "stream of thoughts" posts (like the one which started this thread) with bad grammar. English is my second language, too, for like, two years. But I can type properly all the same.
2Real wrote:
why do you, watch anime?
Because I like it. Wink Of course, I can philosophize and analyze and do all that stuff too, and some anime do have those hidden things to find and interpret (some anime's symbolism and parallel scenes are some of my favorite techniques, like FLCL's), but why bother looking for something that isn't there? I can't look for the answers to World Hunger(tm) and Iranian Nuclear Development from Naruto, not at all. (Those absolutely annoying shonen "never give up...believe it!" doesn't count. We tried that and we got into a big, big mess.) I might from Ghost in the Shell, though, if I look hard enough. Very Happy

Entertainment, people. Be entertained, I say. Believe it!
Anime_Nerd424

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
well i watch anime cause i love it Smile it also makes life more fun and its also a hobby Anime smile its actually fun to collect a series that you love.
tu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:09 am Reply with quote
i also agree. i like watching anime because its enjoying when theres nothing to do, i also collect series as to keep(but very expensive). everytime when i cant get to sleep around 12pm, i would turn on my tv, put the disk in my dvd, and start watching it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1