• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The anime that started it all for you.

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LikwidCypher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Ok so, its safe to say, we all love anime. But none of just decided "Well hey, i think im gonna start liking anime for no reason whatsoever." We all were ignited by an anime. Now, theres no way it could be the first anime youve ever seen, none of us decided we liked anime because of sailor moon or dragon ball. Well maybe some of you, but those animes didn't do it for me. The anime that started it all for me, was Princess Mononoke. And a damn good anime at that, mainly because it has great animation, AWESOME english dub, and a beautiful storyline. Please reply to this, I really am curious to see what anime started it off for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:04 pm Reply with quote
EDIT: Thanks to abunai's reasoning, I retract my statement of telling LikwidCypher to use the other thread concerning "what anime you saw first."

Contrary to it (the other thread), he's actually asking everyone why we like anime and what title in particular sparked our interest as opposed to what we just had in front of our eyes at some point of time within the long and relentless voyeur recording known as life Razz.

Last edited by Tony K. on Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:04 pm Reply with quote
In this order: Galaxy Express 999, Tenchi Muyo, and Slayers. Slayers is probably the most instrumental in making me a fanboy for life, although I was fascinated by the other two, aswell.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Please use the pre-existing thread. Thank you. Wink

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12390

Tony... it's not the same question. In fact, I'd venture to say this is a much more intelligent question than just "What was the first anime you ever saw?" - this one goes right to the heart of why we're fans. Kudos to LikwidCypher for asking it.

My own anime experience goes back a long way, but I think the big turning point was when I saw Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind. I'd been reading manga steadily, and I'd already read the manga version - but seeing the anime moved me deeply.

I won't say that it was a sudden change, because my enthusiasm for manga and anime had been growing over years. Still, that was an important moment in my maturation as a fan.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
msi435

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:23 pm Reply with quote
The first series I saw was of course DBZ and Sailor Moon on cartoon network, but back then I thought I was just really cool animation not anime. The turning point was probably when I saw Grave of the Fireflies (I think it was 97' or 98' I don't remember), it made me realize that there was more to anime than just violence. Then not to shortly after that I saw the first 6 episodes Cowboy Bebop and as soon as I saw episode 5 Ballad of Fallen Angels, that was it I was in. After that I would watch anime at my cousin’s house who lived next door almost every day until I got a job, and then I just bought everything I needed. Now I’m hopelessly addicted and I love it Smile.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:35 pm Reply with quote
My first was Yu yu or Ronin warriors/DBZ. But the one that got me in was Inuyasha. I still remember that day, it was like 12:30ish and it was the first episode. I left me with a "holy sh*t, that was so aswom i want more, but have to wait till tomarrow, and then school starts in a week so i will only be able to see 5 episodes ahhhhhhhhhhh..." I miss those days...
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:55 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Tony... it's not the same question. In fact, I'd venture to say this is a much more intelligent question than just "What was the first anime you ever saw?" - this one goes right to the heart of why we're fans. Kudos to LikwidCypher for asking it.

Eh, fine then.

The anime that got me started in liking the entire medium/genre (whatever you want to argue it as Razz) was Vampire Hunter D. I'm not sure when I saw it, but I was still in elementary school, I think. Or maybe it was Akira or The Guyver.

Well, whatever it I watched, I was about 10 years old and all I remember was renting one of these from Blockbuster at one point because the art on the front of the cases looked cool.

After watching one of those, I found it interesting to see so much more blood and violence in a cartoon. I later became a fan of the the Ocean dub of DBZ and just moved on to a plethora of various other titles within the next 10+ years to where I am now.

Of course I'm not just limited to violence anymore either. I enjoy lots of other genres/types of anime such as:

Comedy (Excel Saga and Ranma 1/2)
Fantasy (Record of Lodoss War (OAV) and Vision of Escaflowne)
Mecha (Mobile Suit Gundam and RahXephon)
Pyschological (Boogiepop Phantom and Paranoia Agent)
Romance (Kare Kano and Fushigi Yuugi)
Sci-Fi (Ghost in the Shell and Last EXILE)
Slice of life (Azumanga Daioh and Great Teacher Onizuka)
...and so on.

It's almost like reading novels, there's just about something for everyone Smile.
LikwidCypher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Exactly, and that is the essense of anime. There is something for everyone. Which to me, in theory, means that anyone can get hooked on anime. That theory may go a little far, but you get me.

I STRONGLY agree with slice of life for Great Teacher Onizuka. I seriously just kept buying and buying the DVDs, then they stopped selling them at Best Buy Crying or Very sad But yes. This anime would get anybody started.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dagwood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tony... it's not the same question.

It may not be the same question, but we are basically dicussing the same stuff.
Edit:
Quote:
Now you see, this is really what I was going for when i posted this thread. All of us have looked back in deep nostalgia, and remembered the old days, of when we really didn't know what Japanese-anime was.

Everyone's right, good thread.

Oh well, I might as well say mine. Cowboy Bebop sparked my interest, before I saw this I thought all anime was like Pokemon. There's no need to talk more about it because I've already done so a couple of times in various other threads.
Edit: To expand on that, it was the excellent mix of music, great animation, and plot that CB has which appealed to me, and ultimately got me hooked. In fact, CB is also my favorite.

Quote:
Which to me, in theory, means that anyone can get hooked on anime.

My older brother used make fun of me for watching anime, that was until I made him watch CB the movie. Now he's into it.
Edit: Now he's hooked on GitS:SAC, Last Exile, and Samurai Champloo. To think that he ever doubted me Rolling Eyes.

Last edited by Dagwood on Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:00 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:58 pm Reply with quote
It was December 2002 and the show was G Gundam...seriously.

Up until then, other than the Robotech and Co. that I was exposed to in my early youth, I hadn't really watched a lot of anime. I've always had a big fondness for cartoons;Disney, Looney Tunes, Scooby Doo etc. but whenever I did see any anime I wasn't aware that it was 'anime'. I was aware that these were Japanese cartoons but I didn't think about it too much, nor did I realize that there was so much more than Sailormoon. Not being a big internet user, and even after the inception of Adult Swim, this shameful ignorance went on for years...

I had even been in the room with my brother on numerous occasions while he watched Adult Swim, but at the time, for whatever reason, the shows that were on then (Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, and others, etc. did nothing for me). I watched, but..meh..

Then one day there was nothing else on so I sucked it up and watched G Gundam. For whatever reason, I was hooked Confused . I went online and started looking for that show, but I was inevitably exposed to other grander things. My interest was definitely piqued and there was no turning back. I started with G Gundam, Tenchi Muyo in Love (which I remembered seeing/liking years before), Perfect Blue and other movies because I didn't want to invest in series... I seriously thought I could just buy movies...we all know how that turned out...
dethjackal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:10 pm Reply with quote
My first anime's where Vampire Hunter D, and Akira. but at the time like most of you, I didn't realise what it was I was really watching.
It wasn't until I stoped in at a movie store and bought my first vhs, I wanted to see the DBZ movies.
After that I saw NGE, after that my bank acount started taking bigger and bigger hits.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote
My friend told me about this show called DBZ (it was during the frieza saga) and so I decide to watch base on his opinion. Anways correct me if I am wrong on this, but I had messed up and the time and started to watch Gundam Wing instead. For me I enjoy Gundam Wing so much just because of Brian Drummord portrayal of Zechs/Miliardo that I was hooked. I enjoy this show more then DBZ because it had more action at the time, and had the political aspect that I really enjoyed. That show eventually led me down the way of joining an RPG, and watching G Gundam.
After my RPG group broke up, I lost my interest in most Anime, this summer my friend show me some Full Metal Alchemist fansubs and I got so hooked on this show. Full Metal Alchemist was so intriguing (SP?) because I was watch the espisode where Edward tears his shirt to show the sins of human tranmutation AKA his Auto-Mail ( I can't remember if that the term). The voice actress who did Edwards voices was so emotionally gripping that I wanted to see more.
Since then I have move to more emtional shows, and movies. I remember joining the forum and asking tony k about jin roh and if it was good. I am glad I listen because I that movie gave me a better understanding on how Anime could be so dramatic. Now I am trying to watch more serious show, but I still love that slapstick comedy, with action in it. I just saw my first anime on a big screen two weeks ago in Appleseed, I was overall happy that I went to see this film, and can't wait for whats to come.
philg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:49 am Reply with quote
Mine would have to be Spirited Away. It standed out so much to me because the animation was amazing, the characterisation and just the character emotions in general. It seemed so TIMELESS! And first I started watching other Miyazaki films (every single one in fact) because I loved the fact that he stayed Japanese, I love the Japanese culture and I loved watching it in his films...well some of them aren't even based in Japan but still! And then I thought that all anime must be the same so i started watching Rurouni Kenshin. Oh boy since then, I've seen a lot of anime! I was wrong about all anime being the same but right about me liking most anime! Well I've never really thought about this subject, I'm glad you reminded me of what started all this off! Wink
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:30 am Reply with quote
What got me hooked was Neon Genesis Evangelion. But the funny thing is, I can't for the life of me now even watch the thing again.

I mean, I saw some crappy VHS recording (sans subtitles) when I was in HS, got hooked into Anime at that point, yet I can't bear myself to watch it again.
Acolyte

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:04 am Reply with quote
For me it was Akira. Up untill that time I had only seen american animation. I never saw DBZ, or Speed Racer, or such. I was a true child of Disney.

But I absolutely love the art of animation. I remember seeing an animated movie based on art by Frank Frazetta one time (and I'll be darned if I can remember the name), and I thought to myself how much more interesting it was than most everything else.

Needless to say, because of my interest in illustrated art, I also collected comic books. One of which just happened to be the graphic novel Akira. I found it fascinating. It beat the heck out of Teen Titans and the lot. Well, in one of the novels there was an advertizement for Akira the animated movie. So I started looking, and looking, and looking. No luck. So I forgot about it.

Then one day, in my local video rental store, I stumbled across a small section of VHS called Japanime; and there was Akira. So at long last I got to see what it was all about. The art, the action, the involved story line; I was hooked. So when I took Akira back I looked in the Japanime section again. And found Bubblegum Crisis, and thought, Bubblegum WHAT?; so I rented it, and Vampire Hunter D, and Dominion Tank Police, and Gun Busters.......
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 16