• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How big of an Anime Fan are you?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaZ616

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:00 am Reply with quote
How big of an Anime fan are you?

I know that some people out there are HUGE hardcore anime fans.
They Collect a large amount of anime figurines and put them in a display cases. They have watched alot of different anime series ( like more than 150+). They collect and buy a huge amount of anime dvd ( i saw a thread called "how big is you anime dvd collection" cant remember who created it but there were alot of photos showing huge anime dvd collections by some people). They dress up as a characater and go to anime festivals. Some even have huge plush dolls and even their bed sheets and pillow cases are anime based. Basically to sum it all up, their whole room is filled with anime Accessories and go on anime forums( like ANN) every hour.

For me, i just might be a normal anime fan. i've onli seen about 15 series including naruto, bleach, chobits and cowboy bepop (just to name a few). I have the 1st season of GITS:SAC on dvd. i have about 8 bleach figurines. And i try to play a couple of anime songs on piano ( like Houki Boushi- one of the ending themes for bleach)

I rate my self a 6.5/10
1 being " i couldnt give a stuff about anime" and
10 being " Im a Hardcore Anime fan"

So how about you guys? How big of a anime fan are YOU?
Tell us how much you would rate yourself and why, what and how much anime stuff you have eg: number of dvds, figurines, how much money spent on dvds etc etc.
If your room is filled with anime or have a huge collection of figurines or dvds etc , please take a pic and post it on this thread and 'wow' us.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:09 am Reply with quote
i've never really considered myself an otaku, but i actually counted and realized i'm currently watching about 8 shows now Shocked
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:15 am Reply with quote
I'm not an otaku, I leave the house.

I'm more of a manga fan than an anime fan. I've been collecting for about 3/4 years now, and I must have maybe 400 volumes by now.

Probably the finest piece in my collection is a japanese Guyver tankoubon a friend of mine sent me from California, along with a Japanese hairstyle magazine.

I own 4 wallscrolls - 2 Gundam 8th MS team scrolls, one Inu Yasha (I just liked the image) and one FMA. Two erotic doujinshi, a semi-full set of the Shonan Bakusozoku StoryImage Figurines, a Nicholas D Wolfwood figure - battle scarred.

And a framed picture of Rei Ayanami smiling.

I also own a Mini Morning Musume tambourine game, which I can't even play, goddamnit.

But still, I leave the house, and I do spend money on other things. I love books! I recently found a hardback, dustjacketed first print copy of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Oh, and I have my own hipflask, cocktail shaker, and german beer mug.
CyberViper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:34 am Reply with quote
I watch a LOT of anime. I've seen 121 titles and I have in my possession 65 more titles I still need to watch.
I've never been to a convetion, but I was planning to go to one once...but my brother came over my house the night before and got so drunk and I had to stay awake with him the entire night to make sure he didn't die or anything. That sucked. So I didn't get to go to the convention.
I've only read one manga, which is Trigun, and i'm borrowing it from a friend. I don't have any figurines or collectibles or anything like that. I've thought about buying them and spend a lot of time browsing for that stuff online but I end up buying clothes or something instead.

I've cosplayed once. The pledges for my frat had to hold a themed party for us and the theme was 'dress up as your favorite video game character'. I was cloud because my favorite character, Auron, would be a lot harder to be. So I spiked and hair sprayed my hair yellow with the washable stuff. Had a friend spike it with elmers glue. Got black clothes, somewhat gothic. Wore black gloves and boots, with spikes bracelets on each glove. I also made a sword larger than me, which came out a lot better than I expected, and wrapped it completely with duct tape. It was awesome!
Only one other person dressed up really well, and she was...I don't remember the name. Some woman from Devil May Cry 3 (Maybe....I can't remember). But I would totally cosplay again...

Almost all of my wallpapers are anime wallpapers. I spent my entire winter break watching anime. Although right now I've only seen a lot of series, I do spend a lot of time thinking about them and talking about them. I listen to J-rock or anime music sometimes, but I mostly listen to American music and have a lot of bands I like a lot like Social Distortion, Anti-Flag, and AFI.

Even though I don't think i'm that big of a fan right now I plan to learn more about anime/manga/music/ect.

So I have to say I am not really satisfied with where I am right now and i'm on a quest for knowledge. I mean...I could live with simply watching anime every now and then and leaving it at that...but it would take me a while to accept it if someone told me I could never watch anime ever again...but eventually i'd find something else to do.

So it's not my life but I wouldn't really mind it if it did become my life.
Urb'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:51 am Reply with quote
I'm getting there, I really like anime and the stories but im not a die hard fan, I started watching last year and only saw a few series, i post on a few forums but thats about it, though in past few months I've been in anime overdrive watching between 2-4 series a week.
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:44 am Reply with quote
I am some where in between fan and otaku. I rate fandom higher that your typical fan do to the fact that I am not alway watching the stuff that is spoon feed to me via TV or the local anime distributors. Half the time, i am not even interested in the series any more when it finally gets down to australia.
Also because i have been into anime for about 20 years now.

However i don't rank myself as otaku as I don't eat, breath and shit anime. No Offence, but I do have a life beyond anime.
Mind you, about 10 years ago when I was still in collage, i did eat breath and shit anime. But not any more.

It's a fond hobby of mine.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:49 am Reply with quote
I'm not going to rate myself but let other people decide how much of an otaku I am. I don't really know where to place myself either, I don't really know how I compare to most people.

I decided to take pictures of my room. First, my DVD collection:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c233/PantsgoblinX/000_0010.jpg

My room's quite messy. I need to get a new book case, I'm out of room. My posters:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c233/PantsgoblinX/000_0007.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c233/PantsgoblinX/000_0009.jpg

Ya, the posters are from Galaxy Angel, Nurse Witch Komugi, Gunslinger Girl, Da Capo, Elfen Lied, Excel Saga, Pita ten, Popotan, and Raimuiro Senkitan. I also have a few more Komugi posters, an Eva/Di Gi Charat poster (Rei cosplaying as Dejiko) and a Mai-Hime poster but I was too lazy to take a picture of them. I got most of them off of Ebay for 99 cents. I'm expecting to get more in soon to completly cover my walls.

Figures...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c233/PantsgoblinX/000_0008.jpg

From a whole bunch of different series. Galaxy Angel, Mai-Hime, Nurse Witch Komugi, Full Metal Panic!, Fullmetal Alchemist, Please Twins!, Please Teacher!, Sou Nanda, Popotan, Hanaukyo Maid Tai, Someday's Dreamers, Cardcaptor Sakura, Ai Yori Aoshi, Da Capo, Di Gi Charat, DearS, and Kujibiki Unbalance. A few from Video games also: Final Fantasy X, Tales of Symphonia, Disgaea Hour of Darkness, and Sonic the Hedgehog.

Plushies!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c233/PantsgoblinX/000_0011.jpg

Four is enough for me. From left to right: Honoka Yukishiro from Pretty Cure, Nemu Asakura from Da Capo, Asuka Langley from Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Miaka Yuuki from Fushigi Yuugi.

CDs...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c233/PantsgoblinX/000_0013.jpg

These are all the anime related CDs I was able to gather at the moment, there's more around in my room somewhere... mostly Galaxy Angel and Nurse Witch Komugi... and their real person counter parts, Ryoko Shintani and Haruko Momoi (UNDER 17).

I go to conventions regularly but I never cosplay. I go to Anime Expo to find rare imports from sellers, to go to company panels, and to view awesome Japanese concerts. Somedays I go to conventions with friends and sometimes alone. I hang out with my friends who also enjoy anime. My interests brought me to Japan in September. I plan to travel again to Japan sometime in May.

I spend 99% of my freetime and all of my extra spending cash on anime related stuff and video games. I've been into anime for about 8 years but two of those years were only with Pokemon and I've only been collected DVD's and anime merchindise for about 3 years. I've been into video games pretty much my whole life (since I was three). Yep, first video game was Super Mario Bros. My video game obsession really started to take off with Sonic the Hedgehog though when it came out. I've also been interested in origami since I was in 5 or 6. It's not a serious hobby of mine though. So I guess I would be considered a pretty big otaku.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:44 am; edited 8 times in total
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:52 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
My room's quite messy. I need to get a new book case, I'm out of room. My posters:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c233/PantsgoblinX/000_0007.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c233/PantsgoblinX/000_0009.jpg

Figures...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c233/PantsgoblinX/000_0008.jpg
Plushies!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c233/PantsgoblinX/000_0011.jpg
CDs...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c233/PantsgoblinX/000_0013.jpg

That's about all. I spend 99% of my freetime and all of my extra spending cash on anime related stuff and video games. So I guess I would be considered a pretty big otaku.
I used to be like that.

About the only thing that have not changed in the DVD/VIDEO collection.
DaZ616

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:50 am Reply with quote
Whoa, nice pics aswell as the collection there PantsGoblin.

Quote:
I'm not going to rate myself but let other people decide how much of an otaku I am. I don't really know where to place myself either, I don't really know how I compare to most people.

I reckon that you're a pretty big otaku when you spend alot of money on anime.

How much money do you think you spent on all of that anyway ?

btw thnx for the pics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
AzN_dT_StReEt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:50 am Reply with quote
Wow... I feel like such a noob now... Yeah up until viewing this post I thought I was a solid anime fan, I mean sure I knew there were some people who have like mass loads but I always figured I wasn't too far behind... Boy was I wrong! So yeaaa... I've seen 17 series (Escaflowne and Gundam Seed as the top 2) I own 3 box sets the rest were bought in DVD volumes, got about 20 or so Gundam model kits and I can play most of the songs from FFVII Advent Children on the piano... I dunno I guess I'd rate myself at a 7. What do you people think?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:27 am Reply with quote
I'd say right around the casual or average fan level, I certainly do not live and breathe Japan or anime, but I've been a loyal and devoted fan for about 15 years although I didn't really start a significant collection of titles until about 5 years ago.

I own about 100 or so DVD's and am always purchasing more, I don't really have any shirts or figures or collectibles aside from that except a few that came in art boxes and two wall scrolls (Last Exile and Haibane Renmei) along with a few OST's.

I'm not a huge fan though, I don't study the culture more than I do any other and my favorite shows and movies are not anime although some titles are near the top. Although I am a devoted and long term fan I am not singularly devoted to it and enjoy plenty of domestic animation and live action titles, to me anime is just another form of entertainment alongside shows, movies, books and music and so on. While it is true that my anime collection matches the size of my movie collection the important thing to remember is that one DVD makes a movie where as most anime series take 5 or more DVD's to finish the series.

It's been a big year in anime for me though, at the start of the year I had no OST's or scrolls and didn't even visit any anime forums including ANN's, so who knows where this year will go as my collection alone has grown significantly in 2005. However I'm still just a casual or average fan, enjoy my dubs and am not a purist, I don't cosplay and don't go to conventions and have no major fascination with Japan outside of anime so I'd put myself somewhere around a 5 or 6 if I had to but it's hard to be objective regarding myself.

Last edited by Keonyn on Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:42 am Reply with quote
This answer to this question is highly subjective and relative as it depends on any number of factors, all of which are poorly defined at best. However, I'll try my best to give an answer.

If I were to use the list of traits DaZ616 provided in the initial post as a yardstick to measure how much I was into anime, I guess you'd have to say that I am probably a hardcore anime fan. I've seen 160+ series/movies in whole or in part, I collect various and sundry forms of merchandise (cards, shitajiki, wallscrolls, plushies, posters, figures), I go to conventions, I cosplay, I frequent anime/manga message boards, and I have a (small, but growing) anime DVD collection that compliments my 200+ volume manga collection. I've imported CDs and manga from Japan, and I have been seriously considering getting some DVD imports.

In all honesty, however, I don't consider myself to be anything other than average or slightly below average when it comes to anime/manga fandom. It's an enjoyable hobby, but my interest in it has really sprung from other entertainment interests I have held for longer periods of time. Like I said, it's all a matter of perspective.

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Bosque

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:24 pm Reply with quote
oh, i'm impressed about all of you thinking in the same way.
the question is ¿the more anime merchandise you have, the more "otaku" you are?
I definitely don't think so cause if that were true, poor people could never be an otaku even if they spend all their lunches in anime, even if they do crazy things to get anime, even if they are against piracy and even if they have spent 100% of their money in anime jus cause they are poor.
So, i don't think that "otakuness" is proportional to "money".

I myself don't have a very big collection, it may be something like 60 original VHS, 20 original LDs, something like 20 original DVDs, something like 250 tv-rec tapes, something like 150 counting magazines, old fanzines and manga (i don't collect much manga). I have almost everything that has been licensed in Chile (you know, it's almost nothing) and getting things here is hard and aways expensive but i consider myself an obsessive fan of animation even if my collection sucks, maybe i can say i have stopped eating sometimes to save money to get anime, i'm always learning and bla bla, also love voice actors and have interviewed some of them, i work on a site writing reviews and reports, etc. So, i feel myself as an otaku.. ah, i use lens and haven't a girlfriend Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I dont know money wise I probly have more in guns then I do anime.

but I do have alot of more anime related stuff since I've been collecting it alot longer. If I get a digicam ill post a pic of my room some time.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Fui

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I've liked anime for a long time but only recently I've started buying a lot of DVDs (about 30, all box sets/thinpak sets...they're way more worth it and look cleaner/nicer). Man I go to Best Buy almost everyday to browse anime and other stuff (it's only like 5 minutes walking distance)...but only starting from about 1-2 weeks ago. I bet the security people think I'm trying to steal anime because I sometimes go after classes and still have my backpack on. I need to start working so I won't drain so much money. Ahh I'm Japanese, it's in my blood! I really like many aspects of my native culture though, not just anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4