• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Romantic aspect to anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CyberViper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:22 am Reply with quote
Okay, there are some anime series that are pure romance and/or drama, and there are series that are pure action/adventure/ect. But there are also some that combine action or what have you, along with romance. I think I saw once before someone mention that they really disliked when this was done. I can understand that it can be annoying especially if the character who 'really likes someone but can't admit it' is being all whiny and fussy about it for the entire series, and can really put a damper on all the fighting and action.

However, I can also see it as a way for that character to build a personality that the viewer can identify with. This way that character also develops an internal conflict in addition to the external conflict (saving the world...ect).

So I wanted to get different opinions and reasons for them. Also, is there any anime that defintely should have had or should not have had a romantic aspect to it?

As for my own opinions I think a romantic aspect to an anime is usually a good thing unless it's barely ever touched upon, but at the end it becomes the main focus of the show. This happened in Outlaw Star (at least I think it did) and it really made me dislike the show to a point I shouldn't have.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:48 am Reply with quote
I thought that FMA could have been better with just a little bit of romance, spoiler[I mean, come on, they had the "childhood friend" setup right there to be exploited Smile For all the emotional buildup in FMA, the ending was ever so slightly a letdown, and left me thinking "wtf?" more than "that's so sad." Now, if Ed and Winry had realized the feelings that they *obviously* Wink had for each other, it would have made things much more tragic, because they could have shown Winry's reactions to Ed being sent to the other world.] But then again, FMA was a shounen-targeted action show, and I guess they didn't want to ruin things with gross girly stuff Rolling Eyes , same way with Bleach.
Ruri-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:59 pm Reply with quote
For FMA, that would have been a little on the cheesy side, I think.

If a plot is done very well, I love romance/action. Romance can definitely change a direction that the story is going. Fushigi Yuugi, for example. Another awesome example... DNAngel. Just by reading a synopsis or summary one can tell that romance is heavy in the plot.

But romance/action also has its bad moment. It makes one wonder why this is even happening. And the moments always seem akward. I honestly wish I had an example, and I do... I just don't remember the anime... T.T
CyberViper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I thought that FMA could have been better with just a little bit of romance...

I think FMA was almost perfect the way it was. It had potential for romance, but I think the only way I would have been okay with that is if they lengthened the series to allow for it. If they threw romance into it I would have felt as if too much was being forced into the series without enough time to develop it. If there was more time for a romantic plot it would have been all right, otherwise I think FMA was great the way it is now.
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:26 pm Reply with quote
you know, I always like a story better when theres a little romance involved--not too much, because then it just gets cheesey--but I just enjoy it more if theres a little love interest
now obviously, this won't work in every anime or story ever, but it works very well in many
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
gamemaster5552

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:26 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Zalis116"]I thought that FMA could have been better with just a little bit of romance[quote]

I agree. I haven't seen the end of FMA but they deffinetly make it with a little more romance, it would just make the show better.
gamemaster5552

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I usally like some romantic scenes/intrests in an anime. It makes the characters bond and is a way of showing alot of a characters more sensitive side. But some anime of the anime that are based on romance are good but that is usally combined with a comedy setting so the anime is both serious and humorous which I think is a great combination.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:37 am Reply with quote
gamemaster5552 wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
I thought that FMA could have been better with just a little bit of romance

I agree. I haven't seen the end of FMA but they deffinetly make it with a little more romance, it would just make the show better.

But in the manga Winry spoiler[admits that she likes Ed by saying something like "I think i've fallen for him." This was after Ed stops her from shooting Scar when she found out he killed her parents and Winry was going back to her teacher/master's place.]
I've always wanted to pair Winry and Ed up, they would make an interesting couplr anyways Wink
Ruri-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, I never really saw Ed and Winry as a couple. Besides, (not sure if it counts as a spoiler, so just in case) spoiler[Ed and Al don't really go back very often. It wouldn't be fair to Winry. It'll be like the boys' mother all over again. Ed is off somewhere working or what-not and Winry is at home waiting for him. Ed wouldn't want that.]

In certain action anime, I just want to see action. I don't want any romance. But there are those where romance would be nice =)
suna_suna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:00 pm Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:

But in the manga Winry spoiler[admits that she likes Ed by saying something like "I think i've fallen for him." This was after Ed stops her from shooting Scar when she found out he killed her parents and Winry was going back to her teacher/master's place.]
I've always wanted to pair Winry and Ed up, they would make an interesting couplr anyways Wink[/quote]

The romance would only add to the anime of FMA and make it better. Just icing on the cake.

but, this is definitly true in the anime, i dont know about the manga,spoiler[Scar didn't kill Winry's parents, Roy Mustang, the Flame Alchemist did.]

They would make a good couple though Wink
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I always thought that in Martian Successor Nadesico, spoiler[Akito should have ended up with Ryoko in the end, rather than Yurkia]
anyone agree?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:14 am Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:

but, this is definitly true in the anime, i don't know about the manga,spoiler[Scar didn't kill Winry's parents, Roy Mustang, the Flame Alchemist did.]

Yeah, that's why i said the manga....ah the differences that actually make sense...
Ruri-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:08 pm Reply with quote
BoygetsfireD wrote:
I always thought that in Martian Successor Nadesico, spoiler[Akito should have ended up with Ryoko in the end, rather than Yurkia]
anyone agree?

I have thought about that.... but then it seemed strange to me. Their personalities don't exactly mesh well. spoiler[Akito and Megumi seemed a better pair in the beginning with her cheering him on... ]but that didn't quite seem right either.
Nirvana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Argh, I had an anime in mind wehre romance would hvae made things better... but after reading all the posts, i forgot which one!

However, let me say this: I think that a lot of animes WOULD have a romance aspect where they hint, but leave out.... just because there is not enoguh TIME to fit it all in.
Tetsujin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one else has mentioned InuYasha.

As far as I can tell, this series has almost everything-- action, suspense, drama, romance, combat, dilemmas, humor, history, filler, interaction, whatever. About all it doesn't have is nudity.

Whatever romance there is involves either the main characters (InuYasha and Kagome) or the secondary pairing (Miroku and Sango). However, even Shippio has had his moments of romance-- whatever is considered romance for a child-like being, anyway.

Outside of the established pairings, InuYasha still has his moments with Kikyo, Koga the Wolf Demon and Hojo from the 20th Century still vie for Kagome's affections, and Sango has an admirer or two.

Miroku has his lecherous moments, but that's part of what makes him who he is.

Everyone within the established pairings has exhibited moments of jealousy repeatedly-- and that's to be expected within a series as long as 167 episodes.

If we want to include the feature-length movies, then romance takes a quantum leap in InuYasha.

InuYasha is one series where the audience is split essentially down the middle between male and female, and that can't be by accident. Maybe it's one reason why Adult Swim gives it the same treatment it gives Cowboy Bebop (another series which has some romance, but not as much as InuYasha).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2