• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hellsing vs Noir?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gai Super Napalm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone see a huge difference between these two? Its really quite interesting; but I don't see how a fan of one could have a much different opinion of the other.

I noticed (with the most recent collumn) that mr. answer holds these in completely different regard, and although I usually completely disregard his opinion (although usually well supported I still mostly disagree), I find it interesting that I didn't really see much of a difference between the two series.

I like both series, they are both pretty well written and have some beautifully animated, well scripted action sequences.. but when i look at the crux of each series, I see the same thing.

A few people kill lots of other people. Lots of other people.

One of the things i think both series suffer from is just the barage of faceless nameless people getting destroyed; whether its the men in black being shot up every which way in Noir or the big horde of zombies getting taken to town in Hellsing; its still lots of relatively 'same' people getting killed by a few familiar faces. And no matter how well you animate it or how great you incorperate that into the story, it gets repetitive when its in every episode.

Another thing they both have is their fair share of cliche; and anyone who's seen them knows that; they both manage to hide cliche pretty well with other elements; like music or animation that puts it in a new light, but its still cliche.

I see both series as highly stylized kill-fests; and I am confused as to why others don't see the same thing.[/b]
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I like highly-stylized kill fests.

But, you are right, Noir is pretty repetitive. Not just in the manner of which the assassins dispose of nameless drones, but the music, scene composition, etc. It's nothing extraordinary, but it is interesting, and I enjoy it immensely. It's one of the few new shows that isn't so deeply rooted in anime cliche that it feels like every other anime show ever made with a new, shinier logo.

I can't speak for Hellsing, but I certainly can't wait to see it. *COUGH HACK ZAC PLEASE WHEEZE.*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dxx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:55 am Reply with quote
i totally disagree, they are very different. Noir is full of killing yeah, hellsing too but not as noir; i mean; Noir: the reason of the great number of people who is killed is because they called themself "noir", so every one who dares to calls that way must be proved, so they send them some hitmen, if they survived all the challenges they deserved to be call noir. Hellsing: man, if there are many gouhls is because they are artificial, they are fake so that is why they have to kill so many, that is why alucard must fight them, Hellsing needs alucards because of the increased in number of vampires and gouhls.

dxx
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:07 am Reply with quote
Again, stop reviving old threads.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1