• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are good COMEDY anime's??

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kanegawa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I know that the subject isn't too clear. But What I'm trying to say is, what are the best anime's that have some or alot of comedy in them that you can recomend.. I really want to have a good laugh. I really like comedy anime's!! Thank You!! Laughing And if you could please make them a recent series.. min. 2000.. I don't really like the old old ones.. Wink

Last edited by kanegawa on Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
shamansanchez

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I'd really recommend Pani Poni Dash!, it's really funny and incredibly strange. It's still airing, so only 6 episodes are out right now, and the 7th is coming out soon probably. Anything that has Monty Python references and parodies quantum physics is good in my book.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, Colorful and Excel Saga are some good ones. The thing with comedy anime, though, is that you have to make sure you can understand the jokes. For example, Azumanga Daioh is a comedy, however, most of the jokes are related to Japanese culture and go right over the heads of most Americans (and the ones that ARE understandable aren't even funny). But sometimes a studio will "Americanize" the anime by replacing the Japanese cultural jokes with American ones, like ADV did when they dubbed Super Milk-chan (the DVDs are in 2-disc sets with 2 dubs; one with the Japanese jokes and an Americanized one with American jokes).

And how can I forget Bokusatsu Tenshi (Club 'em to Death Angel) Dokuro-chan? Laughing
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:50 pm Reply with quote
kanegawa wrote:
Okay, I know that the subject isn't too clear. But What I'm trying to say is, what are the best anime's that have some or alot of comedy in them that you can recomend.. I really want to have a good laugh. I really like comedy anime's!! Thank You!! Laughing And if you could please make them a recent series.. min. 2000.. I don't really like the old old ones.. Wink

You will not find anything funny in Japanese Animation. They are just not funny and they refuse to tease the worlds. I don't know why.

Good U.S. comedy anime shows/reality shows:

Southpark-U.S. anime
Family Guy-U.S. anime
Crankers- sort of U.S. anime, pupets
Chappelle'Show
Barbershop-the show on showtime
Weekends at the D.L.
"Comedy Central"

You will not find the stuff they say in Japanese anime. These shows are not afraid to tease anything.
remember love

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:16 pm Reply with quote
for anime movie The urueisa Yatsura films are extremly funny I prefer the 2nd film buetiful dreamers (sorry for spelling im tired alil lol)
tthen the newest anime show i got is some what funny gun parade march but i wouldnt suggest it to get it as a comedy it has some pretty funny parts but its more of a love/drama/war just with some comedy relief in it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:37 am Reply with quote
remember love, keep in mind that this is an English-language forum, and we expect everybody to observe proper grammar, unlike over at Robotech.com.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
remember love

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:43 am Reply with quote
Yeah, sorry about that one. I'm just starting to notice all the periods and the capitalizations I've been missing. I'm guessing three days without sleep does this to you at times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Bosque

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:17 am Reply with quote
Hey, sorry for this but it's just justice... Project A-ko (1986) is one of the best comedy anime ever, and the true action-comedy anime classic.

For newer ones, i don't think it's easy to find anime to laugh a lot. Excel Saga could be "sufficient" if you just want to have fun for a while.

Lot of people think that watching people doing things they do is extremely funny... if you also think like that, search for Genshiken or Otaku no Video (1991, anyway). I don't think those titles are particularly funny but at least they are fantastic and exciting titles.

ps: English is my second language, sorry for errors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
remember love

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:22 am Reply with quote
Bosque has a good suggestion there.Project A-Ko is a very good comedy and I diffenetly recommend people to buy this movie. If you have comcast I think they may be playing it On Demand.
Bosque

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:07 am Reply with quote
Shocked I forgot the master Oe Kintaro. Yes! that's definitely a very funny anime, and the english dubbed version is fantastic!
Ithink that dubbing is an important thing to consider when talking about this. Most of the times, a bad dubbing ruins the funny moments and other things, so take care when choosing if you're going to watch first the dubbed or subbed version.
Just for recomendation: I enjoyed a lot the english dubbed version of Golden Boy and i consider it one of the funniest anime ever. Anyway, there are some spanish dubbed anime that could make you laugh a lot but i think it's not a very known language there in North America, anyway, if you can, just get the Spanish dubbed version of the first 7 OVAs of El Hazard, simply the best.
And don't miss Project A-ko, more enjoyable with some old-anime-culture Anime smile (just saw Japanese and spanish dubbed anyway)
Bye.

ps: English is my second language, sorry for errors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Joe anime

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:15 pm Reply with quote
One good comedy anime i rented yesterday was Haunted Junction.it was laugh out loud funny and good,by Bandai entertainment it's a 12 episode tv series on a 2-disc dvd in
english sub.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Comedy ehh? Well Honey & Clover is my pick for good comedy. Though it is a drama its packed with some of the most hilarious situations i've ever seen in anime. Not to mention the greatest character ever in Shinobu Morita!
aflimmer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:58 am Reply with quote
Personally, I thought that Azumanga Daioh was pretty funny...Oh well, to each his own.

Love Hina is hillarious, the girls just beat on Keitaro without mercy. Excel Saga is funny as well, but there are alot of inside jokes that you have to be familiar with the anime culture to get.

I also found Happy Lesson to be a riot especially when Kisaragi gets ahold of Chitos and uses him as a guiney pig for her experiments. Jubei-Chan the Ninja Girl was good for a few laughs too. I loved the anamorphic shirt on the leader of "The Unrefined".

I thought Burn Up was pretty funny with a good mix of action, poor Rio, so close, yet so far.

These selections are just my opinion, I'm sure that some will disagree with me on some of these...Oh well.
petran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I recently rented some old VHS tapes of Iga mo Kabamaru. I remember how many times I laughed with this anime. After copying it I plan to rewatch it. For me this is the best comedy anime I've seen. I heard the movie was even funnier.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Well right now I can't really name a good comedy anime that hasn't been mentioned yet but episodes 10 and 50 of Bleach were some of the funniest s*it ever! They're just filler but omgoshh were they hilarious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2