• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Aniplex to Release Sword Art Online in a Limited Edition Blu-ray and DVD Sets

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadwing

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Hm. $360 for all 25 episodes on Blu-ray? That's $14.40 per episode. Meanwhile, when I first started collecting anime DVDs back in 2001, they often retailed for $30 for 3 episodes, so that's $10 per episode. Of course, that's in 2001 dollars, and adjusting for inflation that translates to just over $13 in today's dollars.

So, while by today's standards the SAO Blu-rays are pricy, but it's not grossly more than what I paid on a per-episode basis 12 years ago, so I think I can hack it for this one. It's nowhere near as bad as what Aniplex wants for Fate-Zero ($700 for 25 episodes, which is $28 per episode).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
You forgot to account for DVD and BD no longer being new formats. Yeah, films on DVD were expensive in 2000 as well, but now they're not.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I can't imagine the Toonami crowd will be much into paying these prices.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I can't imagine the Toonami crowd will be much into paying these prices.

Yeah, that's what really makes me scratch my head. Easily one of the more popular shows of the last few years. They spend the money on a dub. They get the show on TV. Would it not be wise to cash in on all that with an affordable BD/DVD release? It's one thing with a niche show to simply try and extract the most money possible from the small group that will buy it regardless. But surely there are enough more casual fans who would buy this show were it more reasonably priced to justify a more standard release. It's awfully tough to believe they aren't leaving a lot of money on the table here.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
You forgot to account for DVD and BD no longer being new formats. Yeah, films on DVD were expensive in 2000 as well, but now they're not.

Well, DVD "singles" were still the norm for most new releases for most of the rest of the 00s (multi-disc sets didn't start to become the norm until around 4 or 5 years ago), yet they still retained the $30 MSRP despite DVD in general rapidly becoming dirt cheap. Of course, the value of that money does diminish over time. Even if we ignore inflation (which results in relatively trivial differences of a dollar or two over the course of just a few years for small sums that remain flat nominally over time), on a per-episode basis the SAO BDs still aren't grossly higher than single DVDs. They're quite expensive compared to what we've become accustomed to over the last 5 years, though ($4-6 per episode), but still far less than most other expensive Aniplex releases.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Wait, you're also off in that you never truly paid the full $30 for those singles, did you? More like $24.99 or whatever the sale price would have been, $19.99 for SRPs of about $25. In that case, you'll have to use SAO's SRP here, not its sale price. You're actually talking $452 for the whole set, since we are comparing SRPs. Even if you're not going to ever pay that SRP, neither was that the case for those singles. And three episodes was quickly dropped as a standard in favor of four or five, sometimes six a disc, for no change in SRP or sale.

Apples to apples – $18 an episode SRP : $7.50 (assuming 4 episodes at $30) an episode SRP
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Why on earth would I buy this when I know good and well that the UK will release their version a few months down the road for a fraction of the cost?

That's why a region-free player pays for itself. Cool
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/categories/video/

Heh, Sword Art Online is topping Right Stufs BD charts. Aniplex has a market for this stuff.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:51 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Why on earth would I buy this when I know good and well that the UK will release their version a few months down the road for a fraction of the cost?

That's why a region-free player pays for itself. Cool
Yeah, I'd probably put it closer to six months but the dood's perfectly right.

Manga arn't fugbuck insane about these things and the UK fanbase aren't willing to take it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1