• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zettai Shonen

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:55 am Reply with quote
Has anyone seen this anime? With a title like "Zettai Shonen" I was expecting a typical dumb shonen anime with a lot of fighting, but was I got instead was a fascinatingly slow-paced and introspective story. As typical of this kind of anime, the plot is only of secondary importance to the pure otherworld-ness of the atmosphere, so it's really difficult to describe. There's this kid stuck in the boondocks, and there's a good amount of... oddness going on around him. But all the other characters, having lived in this remote little hamlet all their lives, seem to take the oddness for granted, as a matter of everyday life.

I find this has a lot in common with titles such as Haibane Renmei, Niea_7 and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, so if you like those titles I highly recommend Zettai Shonen. It's a very very odd little jewel and I'm glad I found it. So all the sifting through vast amounts of crappy anime was worth it in the end! Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
smutchi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:05 am Reply with quote
Actually I saw the promo of the series... If I remember correctly there's this boy, the main character, driving around on his bike and also something about a cat?
I thought it looked strange, but very interesting... I haven't seen these other shows you mentioned that are similar, but I like slow-placed shows. I think I'll check it out. Anime smile
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:48 pm Reply with quote
The story and the art style really look interesting. When I first saw it (in Newtype USA), I thought it was going to be another slow-paced, thought-provoking anime. The coloring was very...pastel...ish. Isn't it created by a lot of major names, such as Kazunori Ito?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Time hasn't allowed me to watch past the first couple episodes, but I do want to get back to it. I really enjoyed the quirkiness of the episodes; just watching cats do their thing, people standing in the rain, a kid on his bike. Just an all around sombre atmosphere that I look forward to getting back into.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I love this show. It's such a relaxed atmosphere. A nice mix of slice of life and sci fi mystery. The new story arc is just as interesting as the first, but with a different cast of characters. And the end of the first arc was great too.
Gubernaculum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:10 am Reply with quote
I saw this a few months ago so I don't remember all the details. I thought it was going to be a sci-fi mystery type of show but while it does have elements of that, the central theme is actually more of an exploration of the trials and tribulations of teenagers (at least that's how I interpreted it). It's divided into two halves with different characters playing the main roles though the second arc is connected to the first and some characters in the first turn up in the second.

It was quite well done and I enjoyed the show a lot. If you don't mind the slow pacing and the at times confusing narrative then I definitely recommend it.
Anthony P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
As typical of this kind of anime, the plot is only of secondary importance to the pure otherworld-ness of the atmosphere, so it's really difficult to describe.

I'd agree that what you said definitely holds true for the first half of the series, where there's little going on plot-wise. But the what-and-why of the "material fairies" is focused on more in the second half, and an overall theme (what I gathered, at least) also establishes itself in the second half , as well.
Gubernaculum wrote:
the central theme is actually more of an exploration of the trials and tribulations of teenagers (at least that's how I interpreted it)

Yes, that has a strong presence in the series, but I almost think it plays second fiddle to the ordeal of the spoiler["material fairies" and "material evils", and how the material evils came about from the pollution and degradation caused by an urban environment, and the events that followed.]
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Out of all the things I enjoyed about Zettai Shounen, I must say that I enjoyed the expansive, detailed, and well animated world. The animation, I thought, was really well done, and somewhat resembled a watercolor painting. The characters were at times energetic but still down-to-earth people, and there was a love web that was also done in a relaxed and believable manner. The series certainly takes its time slowly revealing the mystery, and for the first half, I would agree that the plotline is second to the relaxing yet odd atmosphere.

I really loved the switch in setting for the second half of the series. I had grown to love the small town where Ayumu stayed, but the Yokohama of the series was also an immersive and believable setting. I really enjoyed seeing things from a different perspective, and how "ordinary" people would perceive the existence of spoiler[material evils and material fairies].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1