• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Where do you get your Manga from?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Selfia-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I have to be one of the saddest manga fans. The only place I can get any availble manga is at Hastings Crying or Very sad so sad...
JustinSane

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Waldenbooks is where I get my manga. The one near where I live has such a great selection and since my brother works at Borders I get a discount.
jagozon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quote
I usually wate for conventions to get my manga,since they (well most of them ) dont add on tax,its cheeper to stock up on it whenever a convention comes around,than to buy it at the store. Very Happy
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:13 am Reply with quote
I get mine from a Barnes & Noble store about 4 miles from where I live; it makes for a nice bike ride and a way to use up a couple of hours on the weekends. Plus, if I special order new releases then I can sometimes get them a few days before they hit the shelves.
sts9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:37 am Reply with quote
Mostly the anime rental place that is just two blocks from my house Very Happy ..but I'll check around the internet for good deals on manga I'm not too sure I'll like.
Yoshball

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:38 am Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of justmanga.com. All their prices are reduced from MSRP (unlike Bordes, the only physical place around here I can get manga) and it's free shipping for orders over $40. I have good times there.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:50 am Reply with quote
Mostly from Comicopia, a great comicbook store. They have the largest selection of manga in the Boston area, and I'd rather support them than a massive bookstore (plus I buy comics). I'll shop at one of the big chains if I'm already there, though.
As for online, I have yet to find a place to beat amazon's 33% discount. Plus they have some really hard to find stuff.
IchigoKurosaki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:37 am Reply with quote
Suncoast mainly, because I work there. And sometimes random bookstores if they have something I want. Waldenbooks has a crap load of manga though, and alot of other misc. items. Too bad I don't work there. Sad
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:49 am Reply with quote
I ususally go to Big Brain Comics, a fantastic comic store in North Minneapolis. It has the best selection of indie comics from around the world that I've ever seen, and the store owner is really nice. Plus it's the only place I've ever been able to find Secret Comics Japan and the Parasyte graphic novels.
Recently, I've been using Amazon for a lot of my manga purchases. Just this morning I ordered Mr. Arashi's Amazing Freak Show and Ultra-Gash Inferno, along with Junko Mizuno's Hansel and Gretel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Acolyte

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Hastings is where I used to go the most. There's one about 4 miles from my house and it's where I rent my anime anyway. Plus it's where I was first introduced to manga, so conseqeuntly I went only there for a while.

But recently they've become all too lax about keeping their titles up to date and not getting the new releases on the shelf. Because of that I've started getting the bulk of my manga at Barnes & Noble. I have a memembership there so that cuts 10% off the price, which beats a paper cut on the eyeball any day.

And to sweeten up matters, there's a Borders in the shopping complex just accross the parking lot from B&N. Haven't been in there just yet, but some acquaintances have and from the sound of it they're just as loaded as B&N.
Suikoden6880

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I get my manga from:

Books-a-Million- It's the closest store to where I live that sells manga and I get a dicount.

SunCoast- The second closest. When I'm at the mall I usually go there.
or
Barnes and Noble- Not all the time. For sum reason I dont like thier selections, but they do tend to have what I want sumtimes......

I've never shopped for manga online before and I was planning onto from JustManga.com. Just curious, how long does it take them to bring to your house? (Or ship it, I guess)
Yoshball

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:01 pm Reply with quote
For me, justmanga.com delivers within the week, so 4-6 days. But that has been true for most online retailers I've dealt with, so I'm sure any place you order from with ground shipping will have about the same time frame for delivery.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Barnes and Noble: I get gift cards there, and they have Rurouni Kenshin and a few other popular titles, even if their selection isn't as great as Borders.
Borders: In my area, the Borders stores have a much more extensive selection than B&N. If you sign you for their email newsletter, they send a 30% off coupon every month.
Amazon.com: When I order manga there, I always get it in perfect condition. In the brick and mortar stores, a bunch of kids who often can't pronounce manga correctly flip through the manga and wrinkle the pages. Really annoying.
Suncoast: If I'm at the mall, I'll go in and pick something up. Sometimes they have sales which are hard to beat, but that only happens every once in a while.
I haven't bought much manga or anime, so that's just about it.
Java

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I usually get the Norwegian releases at a normal shop. But the Tokyopop releases I have to get when I'm in Trondheim. There they have 2 stores that carry manga. Avalon and Outland. But to get to Trondheim I have to drive 3 hours, so I don't go there that often...
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm cheap and not a huge manga fan, so I usually wait for specials on the titles that I'm looking for from TRSI.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4