• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Help Please

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WannaBeAnimeGurl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Hi Im new & i made a mistake by going to Anime to ask for books.. So im interrested in Manga books ( i guess) u know like books like Love Hina ( my favorite) & stuff like that. My boyfriend is really getting me into it so i really wanna know more info.So do yall thank yall can help me out.Thank u
Grieving Chaos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, yeah, there're lots of people on here who know about manga. Do you wanna know somethin' specific?
WannaBeAnimeGurl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Well first i would like to know some books..Cause im really into the reading, Then i wanna know about the shows & ne things eles you wanna throw in.LOL
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:03 pm Reply with quote
well, there are many differnt genres of anime/manga. Theres action, drama, romance, adventure, horror, thriller, etc.

We need to know more about what you like to really be able to reccomend anything to you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
WannaBeAnimeGurl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Well ima romantic dreamer so i would say rommance mainly.But i would luv 2 read some thriller & horror would be nyce.But itz hard 2 pen point because im really open minded
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:30 am Reply with quote
Well for starter that are new to manga, there is:

Shojo (Teenage Girl):
Fruit Basket - Probably the most popular among female readers.

Shonen (Teenage boy)
Rurouni Kenshin - Girl good love this manga for the mix of comedy and I guess romance. It's mainly an action title though, but it's pretty popular among the female too.

And if you like Love Hina, there's also Negima, which is also extremely popular. You might also want to give Death Note a try when it's release.

Once you get over the mainstream stuff, there are tons of good manga out there that pushes the bounderies. My suggestion is to go to a bookstore, and look at some books that might interested you.
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:29 am Reply with quote
If you like Love Hina, you might like Negima. It's by the same artist.

If you like romance, I'm a big fan of Ouran High School Host Club.
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:07 am Reply with quote
Shoujo:
Nana: Focuses on the friendship of two women, both with the name Nana. This manga is really promising, and it's being serialized in Shojo Beat. You can pick up the magazine in any Borders or Banes and Noble. (Older Teen)
Fullmoon O Sagashite: About a girl Mitsuki, who has throat cancer, but wants to pursue her singing carreer. She is helped by two shinigami, or death gods. I really love this manga because of the balanced mix between humor and drama and the occasional sad moment. (No seriously, the ending is really sad, but it's a good title.) (All Ages)
And...I really don't know a lot about this genre.

Shounen:
The best way to sample shounen manga is to pick up the Shonen Jump magazine, which has some really great titles like Naruto (ninjas and humor), Hikaru no Go (about Hikaru, who plays Go/Igo along with his er...ghost; contains enough humor so you don't have to know anything about the game), and Yu Yu Hakusho, etc. It's really cheap compared to getting all the GN's, and the magazine is about 300 pages for 4.99 USD. (Teen)
Rurouni Kenshin:I don't know why they didn't serialize this in the magazine. I had a bit of a problem reading this at first, because the Japanese names and historical terms are a bit hard to keep track of. Viz does provide a glossary of terms in the back though. Some of the earlier volumes might be a pain to read, but the Kyoto arc (volumes 8+) gets really good.

Err...thriler and horror...
Well Hellsing has a lot of blood, and it seems to be popular...I haven't read it yet though.
Fruits Basket has been a bestselling manga every volume, so it's a good starting point for shoujo manga.
EDIT: RK is a really good manga, but the historical aspects get to me sometime. (What was that part about the Ishi Shishin and Shinsengumi again??!)

Last edited by .Sy on Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
WannaBeAnimeGurl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:24 am Reply with quote
Thank you I appericate it.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:49 pm Reply with quote
If your into romance, check out Inuyasha. It's got a ton of action but just enough romantic moments to keep most female readers interested without getting too bored. But be prepared for a long haul wioth that one. Most things by Rumiko Takahashi are like that actually so check out her works. Im not too much of a fan of it, but give Escaflowne a try as well.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If your into romance, check out Inuyasha. It's got a ton of action but just enough romantic moments to keep most female readers interested without getting too bored. But be prepared for a long haul wioth that one. Most things by Rumiko Takahashi are like that actually so check out her works. Im not too much of a fan of it, but give Escaflowne a try as well.

Yeah, Rumiko Takashi's great with romantic comedy. I love all of her works, from the beautifully macabre Mermaid Saga to her short stories and her goofball comedy like Ranma 1/2. Inu-Yasha's my favorite, and is good if you like action-epics. But yeah, they are all pretty long.

If you like Love Hina, you might want to try her Maison Ikkoku, which also involves a poor loser ronin trying to win over the girl of his dreams. It's her most romantic work, and one of her best. It's also only 15 volumes. Ranma 1/2 a good second bet if you like comedy and don't mind some crazy action and charcter relationships.

The best way to find out about her works would be to go to this site: http://www.furinkan.com/ It has a page for all of her major works.
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Warning for Rurouni Kenshin: Very realistic violence.
As for a romance, the only on I could honestly would be Kare Kano.
Here's the ANN summary:
Plot Summary: Yukino Miyazawa is really, really vain, and loves to hear people praise her. She's always been the best at everything, and always tries to look perfect. But when Yukino goes to high school, she's finally upstaged--by Souichiro Arima, who scores better on the entrance exams and instantly snatches the attention of the class. By accident, Arima finds out that Yukino is just pretending, and this starts off a series of events that lead to Yukino and Arima falling in love. They then have to cope with a lot of obstacles in their relationship.

The other shojo series never grabbed me like this one. Mainly due to predictable plots or set-ups. Typical story types include reverse harem manga or stories that have a plain girl fall in love with a guy and through some impossible plot twist have him fall in love with her.
Mexicanime86

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:11 am Reply with quote
Those are good titles, but you're like me and enjoy a cheap laugh in your romance, then you may pick up Chobits, Ai Yori Aoshi, or Kill Me, Kiss Me . These are pretty good to get into, with great characters, and easy storys to follow (although it's debatable about Chobits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LPMtheAWESOME

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:57 pm Reply with quote
If ya likes horror track down the Mantis Lady or Flesh Colored Horror, and for romance my favorite: Video Girl Ai. Action with your dosage of drama, Neon Genesis Evangelion. Mystery Kindaichi Case Files.
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't really know about the NGE manga. I'm sure the anime's stellar, but I read a volume or so of the manga, and I wouldn't really recommend it to someone who's just getting into manga. I also don't recommend the Rurouni Kenshin just yet, as the historical aspects of the story are rather difficult to follow. (Yeah, forget what I said earlier.)
Other Shonen series worth taking a look at:
Bleach: Ichigo Kurosaki hunts hollows, or ghosts that harm others. Although I do like the manga, it's a typical shounen action series. It all depends on taste. Action, humour. (Teen)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2