• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Question for manga readers!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nirvana

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:14 am Reply with quote
Hey... I haven't read a single manga, I'm more of an anime guy.. but EVERYONE says manga is better than anime. (Keep in mind, this thread isn't asking which is better.) I'm just wondering if you guys feel the same emotions as in animes after youve finished reading a manga series?
AWW

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:34 am Reply with quote
Cool Yes I do!!

Manga and anime are similar in many ways thought they usually have a different ending to each other due to the tv series nature of anime and the graphic novel of manga.

Just think of anime and manga like live action and its book that its based on!!
They are the same but there are always slight difference due to what can be done on different meduims!!
radicaledward

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:23 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't say that all manga is better than the anime (especially true if the magna came out after the anime), but for the most part a long and drawn out 14+ volume manga will be better than a 26+ episode anime - more time for character development.

With that said which you will get more out of will depend alot upon the person - if you read alot into the characters and "develop" them in your mind while reading the manga, then quite likely you will get alot out of the end. However, if the characters stay relatively two-dimensional while you are reading then you may not get as much out of the manga.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Like radicaledward said, it all depends on the person. Some people may not like how the animators change the story, something in the story, or add fillers in a long series. However, animated versions let you see what the author is trying to portray in pictures. Personally, I tend to like manga better than anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fruitsbasket1991

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:32 pm Reply with quote
i think that manga is better than anime because u can bring a book w/ u where ever u go and w/ anime u can like only watch it @ home or on the comp.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Neo-Yasha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:58 am Reply with quote
Dang, fruitsbasket1991 beet me to what i was going to say. But yeh, being able to take the series with you anywhere is a major plus. A nice thing about anime is that it's full of colour, while the mangas usually only have the cover colourd and a couple inside ones. However, because the manga is writen, it's easier to understand what is going through the characters heads. Mind you, animes can do that too (you know, where you hear their voice, yet the mouths don't move) but they just can't get the full message across quite as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Mmmph, well, that all depends. Some titles such as Yu Yu Hakusho, I enjoyed the anime better. I like seeing the action in the series. Others, such as Shaman King and Hikaru no Go, I preffered the manga. Sometimes, I find the manga to be more entertaining. The Hikaru no Go anime had great animation, but I liked the art in the manga more. The manga also didn't drag. I think it really depends on the title. Sometimes, a good manga will have an excellent anime because the visuals (animation, drawings, backgrounds, etc.) may be better done. I enjoy both the same if they're both good. The Trigun anime is a bit different from the manga, and so are both Fullmetal Alchemists. The manga offer a different perspective on things, and sometimes offer the tone/mood the original manga-ka(s) wanted.
A lot of times, if the manga came after the anime, it isn't as good. For example, I'd rather watch the Gundam SEED anime than read the manga. The action is just displayed better. Although I do have to admit the manga art is really good, and the anime art is really sloppy looking...
DoubleWide

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Don't get your expectations too high or listen to all the hype about any series. I've bought several series based on hype and it almost always fails to live up to it.
Monumension

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Some good points up there.

Another thing I love about manga is the posibility to focus on every single image and enjoy the art as long as you want, something that would be unnatural in anime since you're supposed to keep it going (pausing the DVD is an opinion I've used, but it ruins the flow of images IMO). If you want you can also rush trough the pages and try to keep it "real-time".

That said, I don't think all mangas are automatically better than their anime-counterparts. In some cases such as NG: Evangelion and FLCL I liked the anime better.
milcor1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Anime will almost always be constrained by a budget which results in rediculous speed line backgrounds half the time someone is dashing or 1 minute fight scenes because that's all the budget will allow while creating numerous filler episodes to keep the advertising money coming in. Also a budget creates time constraints and dubbing is done from a small pool of voice actors who somehow cover the entire genre of anime. I wouldn't enjoy the feeling that the voice actor for Guts is the same guy who did Hamtaro (not the same guy but these wide ranges do occur). All you need for manga is a pen and paper resulting in the whole vision the creator wants to bestow on the reader with nothing left out, no filler, no bad pacing, no robotic mouth movements, tons more character development, and the reader is free to use their imagination, something sorely missing in this zombified entertainment era. Anime fans like to whine about the sounds and the action, but when your so engrossed and absorbed in what your reading, is there really a difference? To me, the choice is clear. I don't go for what necessarily can encompass more multimedia aspects, I go for what's better which the manga will succeed in 90% of the time over its anime series if it has one.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:57 pm Reply with quote
it depends on the series, altho usually if the manga is made before the anime the manga tends to be better. if the manga is made at the same time as the anime it could go either way (the manga versions of Escaflowne I loved, but the manga for Wolf's Rain went to crap in the second half). if it was made after the anime it's usually not all that good.

however, there are exceptions; I enjoied the Blue Seed manga, but I loved the anime dispite the huge differences in the plot because they spent more time developing the plot and the relationships between the characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1