• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
last episode of mahoromatic

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shako

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:04 pm Reply with quote
im just ganna spoiler tag this whole thing just in case\

spoiler[well i just finished watching the last episode of mahoromatic and i heared everywhere that the ending was horrible but i thought it was great that they got to be together again but i have a couple questions. First when mahoro cameback and you could hear the conversation of everyone having like a picknic was that real or a dream? Also when you saw them walk away together was that real or like fake? I cant decide which was the real one? But even though it was a little confusing I think it was a great happy ending] Very Happy
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Well.... I'm seeing that ending as not being real or fake at all... it just doesn't exist in my mind. Because it was done before the manga was finished, I'll likely go with the manga ending as being canon here. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
shako

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:49 pm Reply with quote
is the manga already over and after that what happens do they live when he's older or younger i dont want to know the end of the manga just whats after the end of the anime.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Slow down. Use a little grammar, please. That run-on sentence gave me a headache. I don't know what happens in the manga beyond the anime... yet. I haven't read quite that far. The anime ended in 01/2003, and the manga finished 11/2004.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:46 am Reply with quote
shako wrote:

spoiler[well i just finished watching the last episode of mahoromatic and i heared everywhere that the ending was horrible but i thought it was great that they got to be together again but i have a couple questions. First when mahoro cameback and you could hear the conversation of everyone having like a picknic was that real or a dream? Also when you saw them walk away together was that real or like fake? I can't decide which was the real one? But even though it was a little confusing I think it was a great happy ending] Very Happy

I assume you're talking about the last episode of the Something More Beautiful season.

spoiler[The picnic thing was the conclusion of the daydream Mahoro had during the last episode of the first season. The rest of it was real.]

And yes, I liked the ending, too, even if it was a bit of a cop-out.

Hmm, haven't followed the manga past the first volume, but I may have to check it out now just to see if it does end differently.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:45 pm Reply with quote
shako wrote:

First when mahoro cameback and you could hear the conversation of everyone having like a picknic was that real or a dream? Also when you saw them walk away together was that real or like fake? I can't decide which was the real one? But even though it was a little confusing I think it was a great happy ending :D

My take on the ending is that pretty much everything from the time Mahoro appears is basically Suguru's hallucination. At this point, the guy has a hole in his chest *and* he's drunk out of his mind, so all we get is wishful thinking on his part...and then he collapses and dies. It's *not* a happy ending at all; the basic point is that after all the promises Mahoro made, in the end, she abandoned Suguru just the same, and while he forgave her for killing his father, he could never forgive her for leaving him. Because of that, he cut all his ties with Earth and with his past, and really, he may not actively have been looking for death, but he did not particularly care one way or the other either. Which, also, is why he was almost content when mortally wounded.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:22 pm Reply with quote
This is kinda in SPOILER zone, for those who haven't seen the series yet.

CorneredAngel wrote:
My take on the ending is that pretty much everything from the time Mahoro appears is basically Suguru's hallucination. At this point, the guy has a hole in his chest *and* he's drunk out of his mind, so all we get is wishful thinking on his part...and then he collapses and dies. It's *not* a happy ending at all; the basic point is that after all the promises Mahoro made, in the end, she abandoned Suguru just the same, and while he forgave her for killing his father, he could never forgive her for leaving him. Because of that, he cut all his ties with Earth and with his past, and really, he may not actively have been looking for death, but he did not particularly care one way or the other either. Which, also, is why he was almost content when mortally wounded.

I can't buy that. Mahoro reappears and runs around a bit in the city before Suguru sees her, so given that and what Matthew was saying right before that, I can't believe that she's just an hallucination.

Granted, though, it's quite a big contrivance to bring her back like that, hence the reason I call it a cop-out. Even so, Mahoromatic is still one of my favorite series. (Well, except for the Summer Special.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
robhersh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:11 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
This is kinda in SPOILER zone, for those who haven't seen the series yet.

I can't buy that. Mahoro reappears and runs around a bit in the city before Suguru sees her, so given that and what Matthew was saying right before that, I can't believe that she's just an hallucination.

Granted, though, it's quite a big contrivance to bring her back like that, hence the reason I call it a cop-out. Even so, Mahoromatic is still one of my favorite series. (Well, except for the Summer Special.)

Please allow me to offer a different interpretation of the ending--an interpretation that allows it to be a happy ending.

spoiler[
I don't believe that Suguru was having literal hallucinations and I certainly don't believe that Mahoro was literally present with Suguru some 20 years after having been vaporized in a nuclear fireball. Rather I believe the imagery represents the precious "memories" gifted to Suguru by Saint. Suguru's bitterness had been corroding his heart and soul for 20 years. This gift of "memories" allowed Suguru to finally move beyond his bitterness.

The ending was not a contrivance or cop-out. The story of Mahoro is told within the context of a Japanese audience and of Japanese symbolism. Furthermore, the writers incorporated a more advance concept of the "happy ending" than we are used to seeing. Instead of a Disney fairytale, think of Mahoromatic as being Shakespearean with all the hardship and tragedy that implies.

The tragedy was not Mahoro's death, but rather Suguru's reaction to it. Mahoro was doomed to die in a year (or less) regardless of what anyone did. If the story tellers had pulled the metaphorical rabbit out of the hat and saved Mahoro's life, we then would have felt cheated, and rightfully so. This would indeed have been a cop-out. Please recall however that Suguru was also under a death sentence, due to the activities of his grandfather and his grandfather's enemies. Suguru's life could be saved, but only with an ultimate and honorable sacrifice on Mahoro's part. She could save his life, but it was not within her means to preserve his happiness. Consequently, the true tragedy was that Suguru fixated upon his loss, rather than savoring the time they shared and her love manifested through her sacrifice.

Saint's gift allowed Suguru to reconcile with his loss, and to remember the good times and the love he shared with Mahoro for the short time they were together. It was not clear from the anime if Suguru was actually dying at this point, but if he did, then he died happy. While this is not the happy ending we wanted, it is certainly happier an ending that many people receive in real life.
]

I truly believe that Mahoromatic is one of the best love stories that I have ever seen. If it wasn't so good, then I don't think we would be seeing such a vehement fan reaction. If the love story hadn't been so effection, we wouldn't have much cared about the ending.

Best regards,
Robert
Azathrael

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know the ending was such a big controversy. Forgive me if my details lack a bit, it's been a while since I last watched it.

spoiler[As for Mahoro coming back, yes, she DID come back in a tangible form back to Suguru. I don't remember if he died or not but that last moment when he sees Mahoro is no hallucination. I remember the god/whatever of the alien species sent Mahoro back because she didn't need whatever emotion/experience she got from "being" Mahoro before she died. I'm referring "she" to the god/whatever.][/spoiler]
robhersh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:18 am Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
I didn't know the ending was such a big controversy. Forgive me if my details lack a bit, it's been a while since I last watched it.

spoiler[As for Mahoro coming back, yes, she DID come back in a tangible form back to Suguru. I don't remember if he died or not but that last moment when he sees Mahoro is no hallucination. I remember the god/whatever of the alien species sent Mahoro back because she didn't need whatever emotion/experience she got from "being" Mahoro before she died. I'm referring "she" to the god/whatever.][/spoiler]

I am new to this board, so I don't know if there is a controversy, as opposed to a mere differing of interpretations.

Your interpretations of the very last scene appear to substantially agree with mine. However, I was more motivaed to write my posting to support the contention that the show was neither a contrivance nor a cop-out. Rather it was the result of skillful writing.

I just watched "Mahoromatic: Summer Special" last night. It was a nice postscript for this series, and maybe somewhat of an apology for all those fans angered by the season 2 ending. I do not personally believe that Gainax had anything to apologize for.

Sincerely,
Robert
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1