• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist and the Middle East

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bitterbohemian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:18 am Reply with quote
Having only seen the first sixteen episodes of the Fullmetal Alchemist anime, and by no means an “expert” of the series, I’ve noticed a significant number of parallels between the tense atmosphere in the series and the present day struggle in the Middle East. Maybe I’m just looking too deep into the matter, but consider this:

Military/ State Alchemists: Constantly loathed for their interference, possibly a comment on U.S. and United Kingdom’s (somewhat diminished) Imperialistic tendencies.
spoiler[ Ishbal: A fancy “spelling” of Israel.
The Ishbal War and Scar’s hatred of the State Alchemists: The Yom Kippur war and a possible Palestinian? ]

I need to brush up a bit on my history of foreign affairs, but since Ed and Al are part of the military, it wouldn’t be surprising if there is more that I missed. Does anyone have any insight? Please use spoiler tags where appropriate.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:42 am Reply with quote
In one of the past few issues of Anime Insider, there was an interview with a few of the Fullmetal Alchemist production crew, including the creator, director, etc. They were asked if the war was inspire by any actual events, they replied no. That kids shouldn't have to learn about wars from an anime, that it was something that they could watch on TV and discuss with their parents. I don't remember the exact words, but you should pick up that issue of AI, which had FMA on the cover IIRC.

(Actually, I'm sure someone else on the forum should be able to give you the exact issue number.)
biliano

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Ask and ye shall receive! Wink

The issue is Anime Insider #17 (December 2004) and the article is called "Alchemic Drive," which was written by none other than Zac Bertschy (the same Zac that used to be one of the first editors of ANN). The article, which was a great read, can be found on pp. 30-38.

On p.36, the topic switched to the military aspect of the series, which mostly involved the character Roy Mustang and his recruitment of the Elric boys into the militia against the rebelling Ishbala tribe. One of the questions asked to the creators of FMA pertained to them seeing the Ishbala tribe as being a metaphor for an oppressed people in the real world, and was there a specific model they drew from to create the Ishbala and their particular situation. FMA's story editor Shou Aikawa responded: "There's no specific model. I was cautious about that; I wanted instead to combine many images, not focus on one alone." Producer Masahiko Minami added: "Many people watch war on TV, but anime is fiction. I hope our anime encourages children and parents to have a dialogue about these issues and talk about it."

The second question focuses on Roy Mustang himself. In this question, it was asked if there is a lesson the audience should learn from Mustang, who deals with years of guilt for aiding in the slaughter of the Ishbala people. Aikawa responded: "He's one generation older than the [Elric] boys - and thus symbolic of the adult world. Children would wish for adults to be perfect, but in reality when we become adults we realize there's no such thing as perfect. Many people are imperfect and suffering, but continue to live. Roy in this way symbolizes adulthood."

(Source: Anime Insider #17, p. 36)

I see what you're talking about, bitterbohemian, as I also see some parallels to FMA and what's been going on in the Middle East in the last few years. However, I don't believe that the creators of the show intended to use the events of recent years as influence to their series. This reminds me a little bit of the Judeo-Christian influences that Hideaki Anno used in Evangelion; they were there to make the story more interesting, but not to be intended to generate the discussion and the recognition that we have even to this day. This aspect of Fullmetal Alchemist is one of the many reasons why I believe that FMA has the potential to be anime's next great dynasty.
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:37 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
This reminds me a little bit of the Judeo-Christian influences that Hideaki Anno used in Evangelion

I'd say it's more along the lines of pseudo-Judeo-Christianity. I don't know exactly where a lot of the stuff in Evangelion comes from, but I've read little to none of it in the Bible.
totalgeek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I've always figured that FMA is handling issues of war with metaphor, similarly to how Star Trek has dealt with social/political issues down through the years.

To me the Ishbalans are metaphors for the Islamic World.
The State Alchemists/Military are metaphors for the Western World.

The Ishbalans (Scar) feel as though they were threatened and attacked by an outside force for little reason. Scar wishes to avenge the deaths of his brother and his people.
The State Alchemists are on a quest for power (the Philosopher's Stone). The Philosopher's Stone would basically allow the State to destroy any enemy that gets in its way.

I'm not trying to make any political judgements, one way or another. I was just trying to explain the allegories in FMA as I saw them.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:44 am Reply with quote
Looking at the series as a whole, the Ishbala conflict is quite clearly patterned after the Arab cultures vs. the US. Most of the Ishbalans are peaceful and religious, and a few extremists make trouble for everyone, while an outside power acts belligerantly towards them to gain claim over thier "fuel". I think maybe the series slants a bit in favor of the Arab side of the arguement, but it's fairly accurate.
philg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:19 am Reply with quote
Just keep watching......
bitterbohemian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:42 pm Reply with quote
It’s interesting to find out how the production staff handled the issue. You rarely see American Television handle a topic such as that with an “even-hand,” and it is always a good thing when anime encourages discussion about how the world works.
I wonder what Hiromu Arakawa has to say on the subject.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
biliano wrote:
This reminds me a little bit of the Judeo-Christian influences that Hideaki Anno used in Evangelion

I'd say it's more along the lines of pseudo-Judeo-Christianity. I don't know exactly where a lot of the stuff in Evangelion comes from, but I've read little to none of it in the Bible.

Over the centuries many extra-biblical ideas such as Lilith or the Lance of Longinus (sp?) have been attached to the Bible. Considering that these things are not particularly well know even here in America, it's surprising that Anno sought out all these obscure references to put in his creation.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Looking at the series as a whole, the Ishbala conflict is quite clearly patterned after the Arab cultures vs. the US. Most of the Ishbalans are peaceful and religious, and a few extremists make trouble for everyone, while an outside power acts belligerantly towards them to gain claim over thier "fuel". I think maybe the series slants a bit in favor of the Arab side of the arguement, but it's fairly accurate.

I don't think that's "clear" at all. I think you're just seeing the parallel and assuming it's what he was going for. The creator even said that he didn't pattern it after anything. For all you know, he could've based it on the Holocaust. Wartime conflicts of this degree of violence are often similar in how they're started, how they play out, and the motivations of the "bad" side. Just because there happens to be a war in the Middle East right now, I don't think it means that they were going for that parallel.

In fact, if you wait for the tail end of the series, you'll see even more (and different) war images crop up.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Just because there happens to be a war in the Middle East right now, I don't think it means that they were going for that parallel.

I finished FMA months ago, I'm just rewatching it now that it's on tv. My opinion on the matter is based on having watched the whole series. I don't think that the Ishbalan conflict really has much at all to do with the Holocaust, although I suppose some parallels could be drawn. The fundamental difference is that this was not about persecution and predjudice within one's own country (as was the Holocaust), but instead about an unjust millitary occupation of a foreign nation. It might not have been the writer's conscious intent when he wrote it, but the connection is there.
space clam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I noticed something like that too, when Scar was talking with the old Ishbalan, and the old one tells of how the Isbalans thrive, despite being nearly wiped out. (Jews-Holocaust reference?) And for the Evangelion thing, I doubt you could form a solid tie to anything inside it and the Bible. Anno seemed to go for religious writing loosely associated with Christianity, but nothing directly inside its canon of beliefs. (Maybe something like the Apocrypha, I'm not sure; all I know is what I've learned from 17 years of Christian schooling Wink )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and the old one tells of how the Isbalans thrive, despite being nearly wiped out. (Jews-Holocaust reference?)

Or Palestinians, depends on your perspective.

Quote:
And for the Evangelion thing, I doubt you could form a solid tie to anything inside it and the Bible. Anno seemed to go for religious writing loosely associated with Christianity, but nothing directly inside its canon of beliefs. (Maybe something like the Apocrypha, I'm not sure; all I know is what I've learned from 17 years of Christian schooling Wink )

It's based more on Kabahlism and Christian mythology. Generally that stuff is avoided in Christian teachings because it tends to conflict with the official propaganda.
Silverwolf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:47 am Reply with quote
I notised that in FMA they have electrisity, a steam engine, telephone, and of coure alchemy but no cars. did anyone else notice this?
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:07 am Reply with quote
They have cars, just steam cars. What they DO lack is the internal combustion engine, or perhaps oil entirely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2