• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
C79 doujinshi on Tokyo Ordinance, permits free file sharing

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
einhorn303

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
By Nogami Takeshi et. al, the book is entitled "The Idiot's Guide to Tokyo's Harmful Books Regulation." Like his previous doujinshi, the entire book carries a simultaneous English translation by Dan Kanemitsu. And presumably, like before it'll also be available for international purchase on MangaPal or similar sites. But unlike his previous doujinshi, or any others I've seen, it has a very unique copyright notice at the end:

Quote:
The book has received the copyright protection under the Japanese Copyright Act and international treaties such as the Verne Treaty. However, taking into consideration the contents and purpose of this book, the authors of this publication provides expressed permission for others to reproduce, share, redistribute the contents of this publication so long [sic] such activity does not result in financial or material compensation for the agent conducting the activity.

You are free to spread the word, but please don't rip us off.
If you would like to reward our efforts, please attempt to buy this book in its physical form at doujinshi consignment shops or Nogami's online doujinshi mail order service, and find out more about the other books we publish.

http://nogami.firstspear.com/?cid=45296

That's awfully unique. I'll still try to import a printed version of the book, since I love collecting Nogami's doujinshi. But that's a great way for it to reach a wider audience in a legal, author-sanctioned way. Not only that, I think it's fascinating to see people using doujinshi to try to make real social change.

(There's a number of preview images on the blog post. It looks pretty well-done, especially on such a short notice.)
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The book has received the copyright protection under the Japanese Copyright Act and international treaties such as the Verne Treaty. However, taking into consideration the contents and purpose of this book, the authors of this publication provides expressed permission for others to reproduce, share, redistribute the contents of this publication so long [sic] such activity does not result in financial or material compensation for the agent conducting the activity.

You are free to spread the word, but please don't rip us off.
If you would like to reward our efforts, please attempt to buy this book in its physical form at doujinshi consignment shops or Nogami's online doujinshi mail order service, and find out more about the other books we publish.

Copyright law can not be waived just because the artist says otherwise. Their only recourse in this situation is to not sue, which is clearly evident in the bold statement above there is no guarantee no lawsuit will be filed against violators (especially if the web site generates ad revenue, which violates the compensation clause to distribute).

If anyone here plans on distributing this material on their website, especially those which are financed by ad revenue, it's in your best interest to have a legally signed and notarized contract on file stating you have the right to distribute for "free".

Don't take the chance. Not in today's "IP" world.

Just free advice from an experienced professional.
poilk92

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:11 pm Reply with quote
This isnt unique, though I have never seen it in anime or mange. And, for PetrifiedJello's edification I think I might add the intent of the clause you were speaking of is almost certainly telling people not to sell bootlegs and pirated versions and just give them out for free. The message is they want to get the word out, I doubt they would mind if the site you use to spread it has adds on it. Honestly just read the next sentence "please don't rip us off" i.e. don't take credit for or sell bootlegs of their work. Oh and fyi, an artist can add clauses to their own copywrite or void it entirely.

Anyway back to my original point, this has been done a lot with indie films and music. But its nice to see that something intended for social change is using file sharing for maximum exposure. Its very interesting and now of course I have to check out this doujinshi
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1