• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A morbid question.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
So I've been thinking about this for a while. Whats going to happen to your anime collection when you die? Seeing some of you guys have collections that could fill entire houses, have you made plans on whats going to happen to it when you're gone. Are you going to pass it down to family, have it sold off,be buried with it?

Its just a weird question I have for most obscure hobbies and collectibles.

Most likely I'll never figure out what I want done with mine so my family will probably just throw all mine away.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to have all my DVDs and BDs melted down and my corpse encased in them, ala Han Solo. My encased body will be put in my tomb along with all my manga, and my figures will be placed in there to guard against tomb robbers. Each one will be connected to various traps, so trying to remove the guardians means certain death for all who try.

In other words, no, I have no serious plans of what's going to happen to it all yet.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Donate it to the library, it never had any, but after I die it will have the greatest anime selection ever!

Either that let any interested relatives take it.
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm not gonna die.

In 50 years, we'll have the technology to essentially transfer our consciousness between containers. It's all part of a little something called singularity.
Nico87

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
I'm going to have all my DVDs and BDs melted down and my corpse encased in them, ala Han Solo. My encased body will be put in my tomb along with all my manga, and my figures will be placed in there to guard against tomb robbers. Each one will be connected to various traps, so trying to remove the guardians means certain death for all who try.

In other words, no, I have no serious plans of what's going to happen to it all yet.

I envy your creativity. God bless and thanks!
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I shall have my body modified into a working BD player; I request my figurines to be bury alongside me and my collection of anime titles encased in a box next to my coffin.

. . .

Actually, thinking about this reminds me of a certain Psycho-Pass arc and this idea creeps me; I still have many years to live (I just set my own deathflag here, woo!) so I'll answer seriously in maybe half a century.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I certainly do not have 50 years left so I have given some thought to the need for this. No good solution yet.

The problem is that if you die young and/or sudden you probably will not have any plans in place. Unless the family knows someone who wants it a yard sale or Good Will is the likely result. If you die old and/or slow odds are you will end up getting rid of most of your "stuff" long before you die.

I suppose it the doctor gave me one of those "you have ___months/days left statements I would have to come up with something. Probably just give it to one of my online friends.

@PrecisionCrab
Good luck with that. Mr. Green
bahamutzero89

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I would write a letter, stating my stuff is actually really worth some money, duh, and would ask them to sell it to pay for the funeral and give the rest to my little sister.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
We have transcended the mortal plane, and the collection and the human owner have fused into a gestalt entity. Sublimation is the ultimate goal of all sentient lifeforms.

...By the time I am dead, anime and physical media will be seen as a joke. "You mean you have to put it into a machine to play it? That's a BABY'S TOY!"
gsilver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
My folks are incapable of throwing anything out, so if I die before they do, they'll put it in storage and keep it forever... just like they've done for other passed away family members Anime dazed

I worry about what I'll do with their stuff... Especially my dad's book collection. It's huge, and he'll probably have elaborate instructions about what to do with it.

...It makes my DVD collection look like a drop in a bucket... and I've got a lot of DVDs.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:56 am Reply with quote
Do a Brewster's Millions on my child(ren?). If they watch the entire collection and pass a test on the contents, they get to inherit... the DVDs themselves?
I haven't thought this through.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
On the off chance I die before I achieve immortality of the flesh(unlike PrecisionCrab I refuse to upload my mind to a datacenter that relies on the goodwill of the remaining fleshies to keep me from dying), I have no plans. That's what grieving family's for. Twisted Evil
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@PrecisionCrab
Good luck with that. Mr. Green

:< Luck's got nothing to do with it. Look at the rate technology is expanding.

In 10 years, we went from this:

http://cfnewsads.thomasnet.com/images/large/006/6127.jpg

to this:

http://www.kurzweilai.net/images/google-glasses.top_.jpg
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
@ Precision Crab

What you wish for is certainly in the area of possible, though I wouldn't necessarily call it probable.

I agree that technology has changed greatly. I go back to the days of 78rpm records and black and white TVs with only three networks available. From my point of view the rate of change has accelerated. However, technology has a tendency to go by fits and starts with great gains in one area and little or none in others. Inspite of many predictions we still don't have computers you can talk to naturally like in Star Trek. It is improving but not there yet. On the other hand communications have improved dramatically. None of the science fiction writers of the 40s and 50s that I read expected the first moon landing to be televised.

I can think of several probable road blocks to what you want, but like I said, technology moves funny. It is not impossible. So, good luck with that. Wink

Oh, I ment to add: I can't answer for the microscope, but the monitor and keyboard in the first photo look more like 20 years ago than 10.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
My cousin has already called dibs on mine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2