• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[adult swim] looking into more original anime.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rho

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:45 am Reply with quote
By that, they refer to stuff that was co-produced, like Big O Season 2 and IGPX. Sounds very intriguing, but what? FMA, Bleach, and Kekkaishi are the only active anime on there, so it's probably a title not on Adult Swim yet... heyadultswimcomecoproducesouleaterseason2 -shot-

Anyway, that's some interesting stuff. We'll see where it goes.
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I saw that bump on [as] last night. What I wonder is if they're going to try something with a little more American appeal, like the recent Iron Man or Wolverine series.
smilydude13

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
It would be cool if they produced a season 3 for Big O...

Like really cool.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote
smilydude13 wrote:
It would be cool if they produced a season 3 for Big O...
Like really cool.
If Cartoon Network will not shell out the cash for the broadcast rights to Big O's first season, then I seriously doubt that they will shell out the cash necessary to produce a season by themselves. I think that they would want to pool the risk.
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Sounds interesting. I hope it'll do well for them when they decide to pull it off.
rowsdower

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't think too much about the bump. They probably just said it so anime fans who follow Adult Swim will think that they're being thrown a bone. After all, didn't Adult Swim say that they had acquired 3 anime series to premiere this year? They've aired two (FMA: Brotherhood and Kekkaishi), and the schedule for the remainder of the year doesn't list anything.

Getting involved in an anime co-pro is pretty much a 180 degree turn from the strategy they've had for a couple of years now, even without this tricky economic climate. If even licensing anime for broadcast is too much of a loss gamble, why on earth would they get involved with producing it?
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
In other news, one of the bumps on [as] had a comment some guy made about anime the other days:

"Thanks for getting rid of anime. It got nobody laid. I love vagina."
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
rowsdower wrote:
After all, didn't Adult Swim say that they had acquired 3 anime series to premiere this year? They've aired two (FMA: Brotherhood and Kekkaishi), and the schedule for the remainder of the year doesn't list anything.

Nope, [AS] said that they had 2 for sure, and maybe 3.
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
rowsdower wrote:
After all, didn't Adult Swim say that they had acquired 3 anime series to premiere this year? They've aired two (FMA: Brotherhood and Kekkaishi), and the schedule for the remainder of the year doesn't list anything.

Nope, [AS] said that they had 2 for sure, and maybe 3.

And it's pretty obvious why they said "maybe" to 3. They probably thought Viz would have the Final Act dub ready by the end of the year, Apparently that's not the case.

I also wouldn't take that AS bump comment too seriously(especially since their not really meant to be taken seriously to begin with), after all, AS has known for YEARS that they would probably get better ratings on Saturdays if they axed their anime slot, and yet they have not done so, meaning they must obviously like having anime.
TakishidoKamen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:36 am Reply with quote
The problem I have is that they keep having long breaks on series and then I lose interest half the time.

Play it all at once or don't play it.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote
I thought The Boondocks was rather good. I'd like to see more stuff like that.
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:

I also wouldn't take that AS bump comment too seriously(especially since their not really meant to be taken seriously to begin with), after all, AS has known for YEARS that they would probably get better ratings on Saturdays if they axed their anime slot, and yet they have not done so, meaning they must obviously like having anime.

Depends. Bleach might be a bit of a loss for them, since it usually gets viewers in the high 300,000/low 400,000, but they could probably slash all their other anime and not lose much in terms of ratings (provided they had something to fill it with).
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Guardsman Bass wrote:
Divineking wrote:

Depends. Bleach might be a bit of a loss for them, since it usually gets viewers in the high 300,000/low 400,000, but they could probably slash all their other anime and not lose much in terms of ratings (provided they had something to fill it with).

True, true. My point is that if the guys at AS were really that determined to make an extra buck or two, anime would more or less be gone from the slot, because the difference in ratings has more or less been blatant over the last couple of years. Obviously they still see some potential in anime(or could more or less be waiting for the next big hit to come by...).

If they want to add or create their own original anime productions, then more power to them. Who knows? It could help to bring anime back into mainstream culture, though that's just wishful thinking.
Scormio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote
They've had no trouble axing or moving back shows that don't perform well in the past. And yes, they would probably get better ratings if they didn't air anime, but the people who decide what to air usually know what they're doing. Most of them are probably fans of the shows themselves. I mean, how many times have they re-aired Cowboy Bebop now? They could probably fill in its time slot with reruns of Family Guy or American Dad and get better ratings, but they don't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1