• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Too old for anime?

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lancerest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:20 am Reply with quote
As I sit here and type this, I look around my room. Several posters and wall scrolls adorn my walls. (At least in my computer room!) Love Hina, Ranma 1/2, Excel Saga, Phatasy Star, old Sega Master system posters, etc. My Anime collection grows bi-monthy (That is, when I get paid.), and I make it a point to watch at least two half hour episodes of SOMETHING anime related each day. My computer desktop has Pacifica Kasull staring cutely at me, and I find myself humming theme songs to countless series while doing paperwork at my store.

The point is, as I've mentioned in at least one other post, I'm 28. This makes me technically an adult my most standards. But when I watch Anime, or see it in any medium (such as in magazines, or just on my walls), I feel... comfortable. Maybe even ageless, if that makes any sense.

Few things in life give me the same pleasure I recieve when watching, say, Blue Seed. When I watch it, I feel such a bond with the characters that in some ways generates the feeling that they are more alive than the people around me. Maybe that is not the best description for this particular emotion that I have towards anime, but that is the best I can do with the words the English language provides me with.

I've often wondered how things will change five or so more years down the road. Will I still feel the same? Will that feeling intensify? Have I peaked and am now just riding the wave, so to speak? I really don't have an answer. All I can say for now is that I appriciate the fact that it's there.

I never once considered myself too old for anime. Many of my employees are teen-agers that find it somewhat odd that I have such a deep love for the artform, but they respect the fact that that is what I like. In fact, a few have told me that it probably makes me easier to get along with. I pondered that for a moment. Does anime inspire a child like innocence, something that makes you see things maybe just a little bit differently, allowing you to approach any given task from a non standard viewpoint? I think that maybe it does, even if it's just a little. I know from experience that I'm a happier person at work if I watch something anime related before going in.

My point to all this? If more adults gave it a chance, I bet they would all be better people for the experience. They might have been created for a younger audience, but I think that there is definitely something there for everyone regardless of who you are...

Just out of curiosity, how many 21+ year old people out there consider themselves avid fans? How does it affect your life view?
dannavy85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:35 am Reply with quote
I'm 36 and who's "too old" for anime? I grew up with Tezuka's works, Battle of the Planets/Gatchaman and Star Blazers/Yamato. I think these had a great influence on my life, I don't think I would have joined the Navy or had such a great experiance in Japan had it not been for anime.

I play it during breaks at work and end up attracting a few people my age who say the usual..." I remember that! I haven' seen this in..." They bring a smile and some of the new stuff gets them hooked.

I doubt the enjoyment will end any time soon.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:29 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm almost 29 Sad ... but I'll be asking for the first season Sailor Moon boxset for my brithday in a couple of months. Very Happy

But... of the 4 siblings in my family, I'm the oldest, but I'm also the least independent and mature Evil or Very Mad , so, while I still like anime (and Disney films), I don't exactly consider myself a model for other late 20-somethings to follow. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kodocha3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:34 am Reply with quote
I am 31, but my circumstances are a bit different. I am not an old school anime fan. I enjoyed anime when I was younger, but didn't differentiate anime from cartoons. I have always enjoyed most types of animation, domestic or otherwise.

I blame my husband for my current anime watching habbits. I am catching up on several older series that I missed and am watching several new series as well. I am absolutely hooked, I watch at least one episode a day, many days I watch 1-2 hours of anime a day.

I now watch virtually no 'regular' television other than the news.
I am frequently left out of conversation when we hang out with our non-anime friends because many of them watch reality shows - ugh - and what I consider to be other crappy television shows.

To your question,
Quote:
In fact, a few have told me that it probably makes me easier to get along with. I pondered that for a moment. Does anime inspire a child like innocence, something that makes you see things maybe just a little bit differently, allowing you to approach any given task from a non standard viewpoint?

I don't think it is so much that watching anime inspires a childlike innocence, I think it just makes us adults seem less judgemental and opressive than a 'typical' adult who thinks anime is 'evil' and 'bad'. I ran into something similar a couple years ago when working part time at a pizza place. A high school guy who never paid any attention to me was 'singing' a couple lines from an obscure Beastie Boys song. I love the older Beastie Boys stuff so I finished the line for him. After that I was no longer some wierd older (I was 25 at the time) woman, but someone he was comfortable talking to.

edit: I didn't realize I was so long winded...sorry Sad
dannavy85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't think it is so much that watching anime inspires a childlike innocence, I think it just makes us adults seem less judgemental and opressive than a 'typical' adult who thinks anime is 'evil' and 'bad'.

I've experianced that. It's made connecting with the younger generation of Sailors much easier.
Dark Nero

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:20 am Reply with quote
yea Im 20 and I see myself watching anime for a very long time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:30 am Reply with quote
I'm 24 and I dunno how long I will still be into the medium. I already went through one "burn-out" period when I was 22, I doubt if I go into a second "burn-out" phase (if one ever does happen) that I will leave anime for good.
I have to say, when I first turned 21, I did feel kinda embarassed by all the Gundam models/posters/anime videos in my room not to mention all the anime-related stuff on my desk at work. But now, I'm like "Whateva". Must be a sign of maturity.
Anlushac11

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:35 am Reply with quote
Cool

I am 41 years old and I love Anime and I constantly find new titles I like. I also seem to be ageless when I watch anime and get into the characters. In fact my being wrapped up in what happens to the characters is one of the deciding factors of whether I consider an anime ok or great.

When are you too old to watch anime? I'll let you know if I ever get there.
Yuki555

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:05 am Reply with quote
I don't think there's any restrictions when it comes to what you like (only if it's illegal). Anime could be a good thing in our lives sine it sometimes contain a message we need to know.

I hope this sound good since I'm only 16 Razz
I spent 5 minutes carefully typing this thing.
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:18 am Reply with quote
So, I'm 27 and married.

I've sort of recently reinserted myself into anime. Used to watch it in high school, Robotech, Bubblegum Crisis, read Akira and Nausicaa.... But it was just so damn difficult to get any of it out in the boonies where I lived.

Later on, as a "grown up", I'd watch it now and again-- take my wife to see Princess Mononoke, that sort of thing. And then the Robotech DVD's came out last year, and I got ahold of those and it's been a great ride since-- Macross, Escaflowne, Bebop, Spirited Away, Ghibli in general, and a whole host of shows that were just as crappy as they used to be 10-15 years ago.... Wink

However, one of the harder things has been finding shows that focus on, well, a more "mature" audience. I remember falling in love the first time too, and it _is_ sweet, but I'd like to find more shows that focus on well, being an adult/young adult or revolve around more adult emotions. Can still have giant robots, magic, ninjas, etc.-- just with a greater depth of emotion, and with the characters being a bit older. I like Ghibli too, don't get me wrong, I'm just looking for more variety, say ... something more in the Macross, Bebop, Jin-Roh, Perfect Blue sort of range.

Anyways, I just thought I'd bring that up here-- perhaps I should bring it up in the larger forum.....??

As for being 21+, sure it makes it a bit odd, socially, but I find I'm a more discerning viewer now too, and of course there *is* great anime out there, you just have to hunt for it. And I have definitely pulled in some of my other family members by showing them the best stuff-- my older sister and younger brother. Say, Perfect Blue, Jin-roh, Spirited Away, Bebop..... and that has been cool. Now I have someone other than my wife that I can watch anime with !! Smile

Steve
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:29 am Reply with quote
no, you're never too old for anything. Except for being young. You can never truely be that again.
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:38 am Reply with quote
I'm 24 and while I do go thru phases of being burned out from watching too much (when you watch a full series every day for a week well... Very Happy ) I always bounce back and start watching again.
Yuki555

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:34 am Reply with quote
You know, I think there's a benefit for being 18+ and still like anime. You can buy all the anime you want since you can have a job. Of course I can work, but I wouldn't have as much money ^^
molloaggie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm 26 and I'm married. My husband has to put up with my anime addiction. We have completely different tv habits and fight constantly. He claims I'm ignoring him cause I watch anime instead of joining him nightly to watch Simpsons and the latest Made for Men movie special.

I don't get to put up wall scrolls because we're married. Sad However, I do get to enjoy all of them when I hop over to my single, 24 yr old sister. I wonder what is going to happen when she gets married!
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm 29, and I like the anime. I think a lot of anime serves as an effective aesthetic narcotic, thus the comfortable feelings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 16