• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nodame Contabile dub? (Animax/Crackle)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:01 am Reply with quote
Am I somewhat late in noticing that despite having no R1 disk deals, Nodame Contabile S1 somehow surfaced on legit US streaming websites, with a none-too-shabby English dub, and an "Animax" logo on the website?
http://www.crackle.com/c/Nodame_Cantabile/
(Ie., the second time an Animax dub sounded serviceable enough to watch on a regular basis, while the first's name shall not be mentioned...) Razz

I'm not going to be naive enough to ask whether it's up for disk deal yet, but does this mean that Animax--which is still trying to get a foot in the US/UK door--may be trying to sneak in through the online-streaming route by making deals with the corporate streaming sites, now that there's no hope of coming in through cable/broadcast?
Olliff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Apparently, this is Animax Asia's official English dub, and as you said it appears that Cackle has licensed this show. However, I don't know a whole lot about Cackle, but they appear legit, but let me know if I'm wrong. This is great news since before this site I am pretty sure it was impossible for Americans to legally watch Nodame. Sure, it's not a native English dub, and I am not at all familiar with any of the voice actors, but at least it's something. From watching the first episode, they appear decent enough even though it not quite up to the same level of quality of Funimation or most other R1 releases in my opinion.

I think this is a step in the right direction, and I am glad to see that a few Animax English dubs are actually being streamed legally for the R1 anime fandom. Also, I think it's refreshing to hear entirely different English voice actors for once, Now that this is legally available for R1 fans does that mean fansubs for this show should stop since it is technically licensed?
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone remember the K-On dub of a while back? I think it's one of Animax's shopping titles and won't actually get a DVD release.

That dub is actually not that bad. The voices just don't exactly fit the characters, but it's pretty good. I would be willing to pay about fourty - fifty dollars for a boxset of Nodame with that dub.
EricJ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Olliff wrote:
Apparently, this is Animax Asia's official English dub, and as you said it appears that Cackle has licensed this show. However, I don't know a whole lot about Cackle, but they appear legit, but let me know if I'm wrong. ?

You're not: Crackle.com is Sony's corporate attempt to compete with Hulu.com in ad-supported "legit" streaming download.
They've had good luck getting old Sony movies and TV shows (like "Ghostbusters" and "Bewitched") onto streaming-download and even instant-Netflix--
But it's not the big breakout industry they thought it would be right now, and both Crackle and Hulu are being tempted away from classic catalog titles by the siren lure of "Exclusive original website-only programming!" Smile "

(And if "Exclusive!" means "Animax dubs that haven't gotten to disk yet", that's a good enough sales draw to get me clicking on the website...)

Olliff wrote:
I think this is a step in the right direction, and I am glad to see that a few Animax English dubs are actually being streamed legally for the R1 anime fandom. Also, I think it's refreshing to hear entirely different English voice actors for once, Now that this is legally available for R1 fans does that mean fansubs for this show should stop since it is technically licensed?

No, because the Japanese soundtrack-with-subs has not technically been licensed, for those wanting to make themselves available to that.
(At least, per the gray rules of "good"-fansubbing.)

And yes, Animax's dubs are getting better, since they already have their own distribution, they can pursue a more "pure" ADV-style spirit-of-the-dub...Unlike other companies debasing themselves and cluttering up their audience appeal just to woo the bad-boy-rocker Cartoon Network and get themselves on late night.
(Insert "Animax's Sgt. Frog was better!" comment here. Razz )
Their "Gakuen Alice" wasn't perfect, but it was a good start, and a few steps up from the old "English missionary" days of cheap Philippine dubs.

In trying to create broadcast anime, CN seems to have destroyed Anime On Cable...And although the future of all cable isn't the download of Hulu and Crackle, it's nice to see a company NOT try and shoehorn themselves into a dying cable/on-demand industry like ADV did, just to get on these shores.
Keep going, Animax, show the other bums how to do it! :
twinklestarex

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:23 am Reply with quote
Actually the English dubbed version of Nodame Cantabile was already released on Region 3 DVD since last year:here's the R3 DVD release complete set of Nodame Cantabile season 1 with Animax Asia English dubs in it.

IMHO the English dubbed version of Nodame Cantabile seems like its dubbed in the U.S by those dubbers from L.A and not from Asia.

I doubt that English dubbed version of K-ON! which was shown also on Animax will be released on DVD cause that dubs wasn't that great IMHO.

Most Animax Asia english dubs still suffers from same problems you'll encounter on those English dubs came from South East Asia and Hong Kong(most Animax dubs were produced there) which are always a miscast,lack of dubbers(Animax dubs are done a really cheap budget),bad voice acting and others.
inuyashakagomefa1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
Am I somewhat late in noticing that despite having no R1 disk deals, Nodame Contabile S1 somehow surfaced on legit US streaming websites, with a none-too-shabby English dub, and an "Animax" logo on the website?
http://www.crackle.com/c/Nodame_Cantabile/
(Ie., the second time an Animax dub sounded serviceable enough to watch on a regular basis, while the first's name shall not be mentioned...) Razz

I'm not going to be naive enough to ask whether it's up for disk deal yet, but does this mean that Animax--which is still trying to get a foot in the US/UK door--may be trying to sneak in through the online-streaming route by making deals with the corporate streaming sites, now that there's no hope of coming in through cable/broadcast?

follow here if you really want the difference between animax dubbed and US dubbed.i found this blog not too long ago from a forum on animax-asia.com
here is the link
http://www.animaxdubbed.blogspot.com/
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote
One of the more infuriating things about releases like this version of Nodame is the absence of translations of on-screen text. Right at the outset, there's a billboard with an important message about memories that underpins one of the major story themes. Do we get to see it in English? No. Considering that posting a textual translation on screen is incredibly cheap compared to dubbing, decisions like that make no sense to me.

Oh, and that blog post looked more like a PR release from Animax to me.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh, awesome! I was just thinking about trying this out the other day but when I realized it wasn't licensed I decided against it. So, as long as the dub is good, I'll give this a whirl.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1