• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime you wished had another chance?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oo4443

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:46 am Reply with quote
So basically was there an anime that got canned that you really enjoyed but just stopped and/or was treated horribly?

I guess I will go and say Rave Master for sure, I only read the first two volumes but comparing that too the anime, the changes were just way too big. The art style was not exactly faithful either and they changed a whole lot for just two volume worth. Really if they remade the series and followed the entire manga the right way, I think the series would end up liked so much more.

It's bad enough the dub makes it even worse.

i mean either new shows or old shows does not matter which
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:54 am Reply with quote
oo4443 wrote:
So basically was there an anime that got canned that you really enjoyed but just stopped and/or was treated horribly?

Treated horribly? The next time I watch a series, I'll look for cigarette burns, blisters, and whip scars. I've yet to see any so far, but wasn't paying attention.

I don't know of any series that got "canned" as most usually have a run, then stop because of lack of interest. This is common regardless if it's anime or not. Often times, the cancellation has come long after the series retains any enjoyment anyway (Inuyasha, anyone?).

But there are some series I feel didn't get their just desserts to be better than what we got. Specifically, Starship Operators. I really wish a studio would re-introduce this as a 26+ series as it had great potential but was wasted with only 13 mere episodes.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:10 am Reply with quote
There are so many anime that needs another chance. I wish Cyborg 009 on DVD got another chance here. I have seen nearly all of the 2001 series in dub and sub format but the first 8 episodes were the only ones ever released here on DVD. I wish Xam'd got another season or movie or OVA. Though I like the ending in the fact the intended couple got together, I wish they would reveal what happens after the final episode.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I rather wish Kaiba had been given another 13 or so episodes, 12 was just way too short and made the second half seem rushed. With more episodes, they could have not rushed the second half while giving us more of the episodic goodness of their world in the first half. It's a shame they had this incredibly amazing fun to watch world, but we only get to look at it for 8 episodes or so.

And while the first 26 episodes of Mushi-shi are all near perfection, there are more stories in the manga that should get the same treatment. Mushi-shi is one of those rare cases for me where the atmosphere made in the anime is just above and beyond anything the manga could pull off here (music helped a lot too), so I want the rest of Mushi-shi animated.

Cromartie High School is another anime that just got so much of the manga left out (for example: spoiler[were you aware that there are teachers at Cromartie? They're not introduced until the 10th volume at least (I forget) and all they do is talk about random stuff in the teacher's lounge, but there are teachers at Cro High!]). Speaking of Cro High, someone *cough*Yen Press*cough* outta pick up that old manga title from ADV's manga grave and finish up the series!

Phoenix is another, there are 12 stories in the series but only 5 were included in the recent 2004-ish series. I think three of those five were done pretty much spot on (Dawn, Future, and Strange Beings), two hardly compared to the manga and should be redone (Sun and Resurrection) and the rest...well some of them have had movies made, but the 2004 series just looked so damn good that I want to see all the other chapters of Phoenix animated with the awesome visuals that we saw then.

And I just think Fantastic Children should get a good dub. The series was phenomenal as is, and an actually good dub would severely help this (you do not outsource dubs! Not ever!)

The Please Save My Earth anime should certainly get another chance to be remade and remade correctly! I leave the translation of "correctly" to someone else, but you can't fit 21 volumes into 6 half hour episodes (they were able to fit about 7), which made the OVA end on this horrible cliffhanger not present in the manga. And since this isn't a gag series but a sci-fi shojo series with a constantly moving storyline, this is just a crime. And this series was damn popular in Japan (it had it's own unique Otakukin problem it was that popular), I'm shocked it didn't get a full length series right then and there really.

Twin Spica could really use an OVA or a few movies, or just another series to continue where it left off, at, you guessed it, a cliffhanger. We never get to find out about the green-haired girl because the series freakin' ends!
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Baccano Season 2 for sure. The first anime practically screams "sequel!" with spoiler[leaving the viewers in the dark about who the mysterious blond woman with the spear is in episode 1, and Ladd Russo obviously planning to make his escape to Alacatraz (that sounds hilarious out of context Laughing ), not to mention I wanted to see more of Graham Spector who only showed up in the last 3 episodes, as well as finding out what's going to be done with Dallas. And of course, more Issac and Miria is always awesome.]

Ideally, the proper Gantz adaption would have waited until the manga was complete, and Madhouse animated the whole series. Would have been much better than the garbage we got.

Tsubasa and xxxHolic - Production IG animates Tsubasa from the start instead of Bee "slow" Train, they keep ALL the crossovers, don't skip arcs, and finish the series.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - too late with this one. I figured Brotherhood would be our opportunity to get a FULL adaptation, instead we're cutting off scenes (even entire fights!) from arcs that weren't even in the first anime. BONES really dropped the ball here (don't get me wrong, it's a good show, but nothing compared to the manga or first anime. I just expect more from my favorite animation studio).
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Guyver The Bioboosted Armor.
The way they left the truth about the "Creators" aside plus the fight against Chronos. This anime was the same as Berserk, ending when things got interesting (protagonist showing powers by far superior to before).
Oh yeah, there's another answer for Kei's #8 quiz Chronos were both organizations in Black Cat and Guyver.
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I am going to resist the urge to Sailor Moon whine, even if it is a really prominent urge. I am kinda upset about Tokyo Mew Mew's tv run. I mean if your going to mess a series up to no return at least finish the show and release it to dvd! The dub was an edit and not very good and they didn't even finish it. They got half way through the series and just dropped it!

I wish that Hime-chan's Ribbon would get dvd's here. I don't expect them to and I do not want any company to commit suicide over it and I know that even a sub DVD is out of reach. It was such a sweet little series.

Done whining. I am going to be happy about the shows I have, like Princess Tutu.
Chill Winterheart

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:42 am Reply with quote
Brigadoon Marin to Melan!

In a nutshell, it's a robot and a small girl falling in love with each other. [or if you want to be technical a monomakia and a girl] Haha, I'm such a sucker for the impossible Anime hyper

The series is highly underrated, and the story practically drips with hints of a sequel. I guess the problem was because the first [and only] season didn't become popular enough, and that was it...

Which is sad, because watching it is, as one observer put it, "an emotional rollercoaster".

It's not gundam-ish because there are no lame pilots involved and the robot gains emotions along the way. It's not drama per se, but there will be episodes that will break your heart, and it's not comedy per se, but there's a ton of hilarious episodes. The story isnt' stuffed with gooey romance but it makes you want the two heroes [marin and melan] to be together. Humm.... *shameles plug* here's a site about it:

http://melanblue.110mb.com
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:57 pm Reply with quote
My top choices:

Nadia -- Keep the first 22 and final five episodes as well as most of 30 and 31, lose the godawful island/Africa arc. It would flow more smoothly and the characters would be more consistent.

Lodoss War -- Not to replace the OVA or the TV series, but to animate the rest of the story that was left out. There were a lot of loose ends I really would have loved to see resolved.
Johnny_Astro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Host Club

OMG I love this anime to death I've seen both the dubbed and subtitle versions from Funimation and I just fell it love with both casts. This show, is hilarious but it has a lot of heart. Now I know this show didn't get "canned" or "mistreated" but I really really REALLY wish the producers would pick this up and further animate the manga stories (as they are still going on). The ending spoiler[hinted at the romance between Haruhi and Tamaki] and OMG I don't wanna read the manga to spoil a possible season 2 but darntheluck I might just be wishing too hard Anime hyper.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:49 am Reply with quote
I'd say Rurouni Kenshin, His and Her Circumstances and Fruits Basket would deserve shots at being remade. Rurouni Kenshin got forced into filler episodes when it caught up to its manga source which led to a drop in its ratings on TV and eventually, its cancellation. Much like many anime titles based on a manga source, Fruits Basket and His and her Circumstances ran to a limited number of episodes to avoid getting too caught up with the manga, yet the former ended abruptly at a major point in the plot development. Fruits Basket had some major aspects to characters in the manga that were left out of the anime adaptation such as spoiler[Tohru's past with the red-capped boy, hints of Kyo being connected to Tohru's past and Shigure's sinister side]. Considering that the manga versions of all three works are now completed, an anime remake that continues or more closely follows the original source material should be possible without any alterations in plotting and characterization or filler episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jump Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Even though this is a manga. I would have to go with Muddy. It was serialized in Weekly Shounen Jump and then it got canceled and the creator had to end the series really soon. It was a really brilliant manga and really wish it hadn't of ended. Crying or Very sad
Tim Wellman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Elf Princess Rane is probably the only anime that got canned that I wish would have continued (they even beg people at the end of ep 2 to help keep it going). It was funny and sexy and frantic... it would have been fun to see Rane and Riin get back to the fairy world... or at least had a hot yuri scene or two.
Niomo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh, how could I forget? Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino Might not need a new plot, but please, draw the characters like the first season. I understand that the studio changed between S1 and S2, but still, that is no excuse to change hair colors. I spent most of the show going "now who's that supposed to be?" hoping that their name would be said so I'd be able to figure it out quickly and not have to rewatch scenes (which i had to do a few times)

In addition, if they made the girls a bit more android like in their emotions, that might make it better. In the first season they were pretty good. like little android assassins, with small hints of emotion. But in S2, they kinda made the emotions come full on, like humans, and it kind of got annoying. then again, i'm probably just nitpicking, because as their little statement says "this girl has a mechanical body, but she is still an adorable child"

And finally, the plot. It was pretty good, however, I personally enjoyed the less connected missions that season 1 had. They also focused a lot more on Triela too much, i think, instead of all the girls, or even Henrietta (who to my knowledge is supposed to be the Main character?)
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't think that many series got canned as much as they didn't have much left to work with so they made an ending for it. But I agree with a bunch of the series named so far.

Xam'd: I felt the series felt too cramped being 26 episodes long (believe it or not) and would have benefited as a 50 episode series like Eureka Seven. It geared itself as a series with alot of action along side some deep social and mystical aspects. But the action got pushed aside to fit in way too much story and seperate storylines. Very little fanservice (via action... you pervs) after teasing you with all that action in the first 2 episodes.

His and Her Circumstance: It was so well done that you didn't wish it ended. Alot of fans still have hope the Gainax will finish out the manga.

Ouran Host Club: Actually I feel this series will eventually finish once the manga reaches its end. Right now we probably only have a 13 episode sequel with what they have, plus the series is still developing so we'll probably be left on a cliffhanger or "anime" only ending again.

Guyver: I thought it was okay but it really did bother me they way it ended. It kinda had a big battle at the end to end the series but it definitely left alot of questions unanswered or unresolved if you don't read the manga.

Rurouni Kenshin: It will probably never happen but it really was sad that the fillers killed the series off like it did. Not to mention the OVAs were really sad. Good but sad. It would have been nice to see the manga ending in it's entirety. Although the ending with Kenshin's kid was nice.

Druaga: It was really a letdown. You could really see them holding off on the animation budget which really hurt the ending of the series. And the series was so incredible with its unique take on traditional Swords and Magic series and how it blended in RPG elements. I hope they re-did stuff for the DVD releases.

009: Oh man, so bummed the original director/creator died while the newest of the series was running. So sad. Series didn't seem the same since.

And my pick, Genshiken: I loved the manga. I reread it often. I wasn't a fan of the first anime but did enjoy the OVAs and second series. I felt the second series did a nice job expanding on the fantasies and visualizing alot the otaku talk that might go over less hardcore fans even though the art quality simplied itself in exchange to the first series. Although it felt akward with some of the delivery and pacing I like the series and that makeout scene seemed forced too. It be nice if they could finish out the series.

Another series is, H2: It's probably one of Adachi's lesser known manga to anime adaptation probably because it was so horribly made into a anime. This series definitely got canned. It was so different from the manga and Adachi's story telling style. You could tell the series was a victim of the stylized dramas and soap operas of that period of time. I would love if they re-did it closer to Adachi's other animes adaptations like Touch and Cross Game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2