• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crazy Q about UK manga books compared to US manga books OR Finding OOP mint manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
truanifan678

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been to these forums in forever, so please keep that in mind as I fumble my way around.

m( _ _ )m

Back story: I'm an insanely particular manga collector on par with your stereo-typical comic collector. Mint conditions with certain covers and everything.

I found a listing for particular manga edition/volume which I think is exactly what I'm looking for, but it's from the United Kingdom and I'm from the United States.

My Real Question: What differences are there between UK manga books and US manga books? Are the US books imported to the UK and unchanged? Are they printed there with differences? The book in question is a Shonen Jump Advance book from 2007.

Optional Question #2: Do you have any suggestions on finding OOP, certain manga editions online? Any oddball and reliable stores I've yet to try? I've scoured eBay, amazon, Abe Books, Robert's Anime Corner Store... So far.

Any input and/or advice is greatly appreciated. I turn to you vast manga readers who converge upon this forum.

Also, I know I'm in the minority of manga readers/collectors with my pickiness; so please don't make fun of me. ^^;;
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm not to sure about all UK manga books. I once had a friend send me a few from the UK and they were the same as the US books from Tokyopop but priced in Pounds. But I would imagine it would vary from publisher to publisher.

As for finding out of print books there are a few places to try. Local comic book stores (a lot of time manga might sit in the store forever), used book stores, craigs list, manga trading sites (mangatude, some LJ communites). I don't know where you live but if you can ever make it to a Bookoff (NYC, and several in the LA area) they are great places to find obscure and OOP manga.

Also, the "manga buddy" system can work wonders. If you have a couple of other friend into manga let them know what you are looking for. If they happen to see titles you want in their travels they can text you and let you know they found a book you wanted and you can let them know you still want it. I've gotten a lot of stuff this way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
the VAST MAJORITY of manga over here is US imported, we did have 1 or 2 companies a while back releasing stuff like Eden: its an endless world, air gear and school rumble but they were the same translation, typeset, covers everything so that all got phased out and now the UK manga industry lives a kind of parasitic existence.

Chances are good if you've spotted a book for sale over here it came from over there originally.

as for your second question I tend to try to find online sites of low key comic stores as some of them have come up golden for me in the past. also check the foreign language amazon sites using the ISBN number of a book you're looking for as I've found US and UK marketplace seller selling the same book they're offering on the English language sites for significant price reductions, for example i found a copy of air gear 15/16/17 that was on sale for £100 offered for £15 on amazon France site. When i quizzed the seller they just said "different marketplace demands" and sold it to me regardless.

Aside from that play the waiting game and keep a regular check on your usual hunting grounds such as ebay as there are always folk who are "getting too old" for manga and selling it on so you may find people selling rare stuff cheap.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:

Also, the "manga buddy" system can work wonders. If you have a couple of other friend into manga let them know what you are looking for. If they happen to see titles you want in their travels they can text you and let you know they found a book you wanted and you can let them know you still want it. I've gotten a lot of stuff this way.

This works well, a couple of us have been doing this on here and its helped us get some titles.
truanifan678

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, I live in Central Florida where manga and comic stores don't get along. Remember that Winter Park store story? Or how about that one where they were trying to ban manga from libraries because they thought it was detrimental to their kids' mental health? Yeah. That's the area I live in. :/

No Bookoffs near me. Do they have online stores or are they willing to ship to Florida? I'll internet search, but does anybody have experience with them?

I'll look into "mangatude" and see what pops up. I've never heard of that before. Thank you!

Please keep input and advice coming! I've never heard of a lot of this before!

Thank you!!
truanifan678

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
brand wrote:

This works well, a couple of us have been doing this on here and its helped us get some titles.

I'm going to haunt these forums more often then. I'd love to talk more manga. Everybody around me in RL looks at manga like the plague. Really though I show them manga and they instantly dead fish stare it. XP
-Ushio-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
truanifan678 wrote:
Back story: I'm an insanely particular manga collector on par with your stereo-typical comic collector. Mint conditions with certain covers and everything.

If you're massively particular you might be interested to know that if the UK price isn't printed on the back of the book, Viz place a small £6.99 price sticker over the dollar prices. It's insanely difficult to remove and is basically neater to leave on untouched. Wouldn't mention had you not emphasised your preferences. Smile

If it's listed as a Viz book then it's the same book that you get in the US. They're shipped over here directly and they hit the shelves at pretty much the same time too.

The only exceptions have already been mentioned. Titan used Dark Horses materials for a couple series, and Del Ray had a UK arm know as Tanoshimi for a short time. You shouldn't have a mix up as they're listed as different publishers. Other than that yeah we just get the American imports (which is essentially everything).
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Well we all love to jibba-jabba about manga on here and we should help each other out when we can too because its become a tough hobby to facilitate, cant say id recommend collecting it to my friends.

had a friend come to stay for a week and he got a glimpse into my collecting life lol, he did get inspired to finish off collecting the Urotsukidoji manga though so some good came of it.

hate to say it but wanting mint condition stuff will only hurt you if you're after Out of print manga, i recently haggled down a copy of Ai yori aoshi 15 because there was a chunk of the back cover missing but im still glad to have gotten it.
truanifan678

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
the VAST MAJORITY of manga over here is US imported, we did have 1 or 2 companies a while back releasing stuff like Eden: its an endless world, air gear and school rumble but they were the same translation, typeset, covers everything so that all got phased out and now the UK manga industry lives a kind of parasitic existence.

Chances are good if you've spotted a book for sale over here it came from over there originally.

as for your second question I tend to try to find online sites of low key comic stores as some of them have come up golden for me in the past. also check the foreign language amazon sites using the ISBN number of a book you're looking for as I've found US and UK marketplace seller selling the same book they're offering on the English language sites for significant price reductions, for example i found a copy of air gear 15/16/17 that was on sale for £100 offered for £15 on amazon France site. When i quizzed the seller they just said "different marketplace demands" and sold it to me regardless.

Aside from that play the waiting game and keep a regular check on your usual hunting grounds such as ebay as there are always folk who are "getting too old" for manga and selling it on so you may find people selling rare stuff cheap.

That's some great information! I've always wondered about the manga market over there. So how does the whole pricing labeling thing work then? I've noticed some newer manga being released with UK prices on the back, but older don't have that. How did/does that work? (Sorry, manga geek mode questions. ^^;; )

I'll also look into foreign site portals of Amazon and such. Never knew about "same books, different locations" selling.

Thank you!
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
the pricing, well usually they just do a straight exchange rate swap. If in a larger book store the price was entered into the computer system, if a smaller comic store the guys in there either are well up on exchange rates due to all the American comics or have a chart that is pretty constant

Its like all the US comics i have, a couple had the prices for the US and UK on em but most of em just had US prices on and the seller work it out and either stuck their own label on (as -Ushio- says) of just take a look and quote you a price at the till.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
truanifan678 wrote:
RAmmsoldat wrote:

That's some great information! I've always wondered about the manga market over there. So how does the whole pricing labeling thing work then? I've noticed some newer manga being released with UK prices on the back, but older don't have that. How did/does that work? (Sorry, manga geek mode questions. ^^;; )

I'll also look into foreign site portals of Amazon and such. Never knew about "same books, different locations" selling.

Thank you!

no worries, amazon is handy as your amazon.com account will log you into any amazon site
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
As others have said, 99% of the manga we get here are US imports, and the few UK publishers we did have were subsidiaries of US ones and most if not all have died a death now and we just get imports, which isn't really a bad thing, as the US releases tended to be much nicer. Most shops tend to have a standard price of £6.99-£7.99 for normal Viz releases, slightly more for other publishers. (around £8.99 usually) Omnibuses are around £10-£15, depending on size.

As a tip for removing sticky marks from price stickers, Goo Gone works well, or if you don't have any of that, acetone free nail varnish remover works like a dream, just be careful you only get it on the cover, not the inside pages.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
i'll need to get me some of that, the ex librabry books i get always have a half dozen stickers on em.
truanifan678

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow, wow, wow! This is some fantastic information! Thank so very much! Anime hyper

I now have more options and some reassurance about buying the listing from the UK!

About removing sticker residue: how does that work on matte covers? I'd be scared of rubbing the finish/texture off the book. Have you tried it before? It doesn't mess up the cover?
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:50 am Reply with quote
I've only tried it on a glossy cover (For reference it was an old ICEKunion book, Antique Gift Shop 1) so I don't know how it would affect matt finishes.

Rammsoldat - You can get acetone free nail varnish remover in Superdrug, it's just their own brand stuff and it's about £1 a bottle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2