• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sony Pictures (MOD DVD-R) December 2012 Solicitations

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WTK

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote

http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/upcoming.html

Release date: December 4th

via The Digital Bits
Quote:
Sony has also announced a number of new MOD DVD-R titles for release on 12/4, including Full of Life, East of Sudan, ATF (1999), The Fighting Frontiersman, Legend of the Golden Gun, Bridget Loves Bernie: The Complete Series, Boy in the Plastic Bubble, UltraViolet: Code 44 - The Complete First Season, Kurozuka: The Complete First Season, Viper’s Creed: The Complete First Season and the Film Noir Collection (The Case Against Brooklyn, The Shadow on the Window, Criminal Lawyer, Escape from San Quentin and The Crooked Web).

Buy.com has listed the MOD MSRPs (listed @ VideoETA as well). No details on the language specs. Amazon.com should still be the main retailer (with the December 4th date) and the other online retailers get a later date (December 21st).

Last edited by WTK on Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
wormraper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
refuse to pay for what is essentially an authorized "bootleg"... will never pay for DVD-R's...
Altacia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I've never heard of this MOD DVD-R thing before... Laughing

Is it like Sony burns a DVD copy for you or something? Rolling Eyes

Is there a case with art or just a slip cover? Does it look like my Memorex discs...
Lady_Sage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Darn. I wanted to give Kurozuka a try, but I don't know if I'm willing to pay $40+ for a blind-buy of a series whose set details are still pretty much an unknown. Confused

The burned discs and packaging are pretty much non-issues for me personally, but I do care about whether or not the Japanese audio is included in these releases.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
If they ain't dual audio, I ain't bitin'.

I can already watch the dub for free online. Confused
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Lady_Sage wrote:
Darn. I wanted to give Kurozuka a try, but I don't know if I'm willing to pay $40+ for a blind-buy of a series whose set details are still pretty much an unknown. Confused

The burned discs and packaging are pretty much non-issues for me personally, but I do care about whether or not the Japanese audio is included in these releases.
Well according to ANN its Ocean doing the dub (Link), which surprises me. I thought it would just be subbed only to cut down on costs. Don't know yet if it will be hybrid, but I'm sure the details will get fleshed out. Burned disks and no extras don't bother me as long as quality of image isn't garbage. After all Kurozuka is probably considered a niche title and I'm ok with getting stuff legally that might otherwise never show up on this side of the ocean. Right now Buy.com has it for pre-order at $30. I might bite but I'd like to see a few extra details myself.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm willing to give all three titles a try once there are more details. Assuming there are no technical difficulties with DVD-Rs, I think this is an interesting way to put out titles that otherwise wouldn't get any sort of physical release.
jsc315

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:06 am Reply with quote
wormraper wrote:
refuse to pay for what is essentially an authorized "bootleg"... will never pay for DVD-R's...

They print on demand. That is why is a DVD-R. Adult Swim does the same exact thing with some of there DVDs as well. I'm assuming MOD sands for Movie on demand more know as VOD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wormraper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:29 am Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
wormraper wrote:

They print on demand. That is why is a DVD-R. Adult Swim does the same exact thing with some of there DVDs as well. I'm assuming MOD sands for Movie on demand more know as VOD

oh I know what it is. if it isn't pressed though it might as well be a bootleg. DVD-R's have an exponential failure rate in comparison to pressed media. some last longer but the average expectancy of even professionally copied burnable media is only 5 years.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
If bootlegs made money for the original creators, I'd have no problem with them. Since that is basically what this situation is, I have no problem with it. Might get Kurozuka this way.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
wormraper wrote:
jsc315 wrote:
wormraper wrote:

oh I know what it is. if it isn't pressed though it might as well be a bootleg. DVD-R's have an exponential failure rate in comparison to pressed media. some last longer but the average expectancy of even professionally copied burnable media is only 5 years.

Not always true-if you use shitty quality blanks then it might not even last a year before the dye disintegrates. If you use the best quality media there is it has a lifetime equal to pressed media such as Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden-shit in=shit out.
wormraper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
wormraper wrote:
jsc315 wrote:
wormraper wrote:

Not always true-if you use shitty quality blanks then it might not even last a year before the dye disintegrates. If you use the best quality media there is it has a lifetime equal to pressed media such as Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden-shit in=shit out.

even REAL verbatim's and Taiyo Yuden don't actually have that good a life expectancy. their published specs and real world results are entirely different. I've worked with Taiyo Yudens and while some can pass the 5 year mark most discs will have catastrophic failure on part or all of the disc by that time. I've used them in a professional environment with high end burning equipment too.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
edit

Last edited by Bright_Spear on Tue May 06, 2014 2:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Probably the only anime title there worth buying is Kurozuka. I might go for that one if it includes the dub.

Ugh, I can't believe they're actually trying to sell Ultraviolet: Code 044. Good luck with that trainwreck. Laughing
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote
Language specs is still not really confirmed despite what Amazon.com listings says. I was told that TRSI is planning to sell the MOD releases. We will probably know whether it's (Hyb), (S), EDIT: or (D) soon enough from them.

Online retailer listings round-up. Official release date is December 4th from main retailer Amazon.com. The rest of the online retailers are listing a later date (such as December 21st; DP lists as December 18th).

Kurozuka: Complete Collection | MSRP: $45.99 | UPC: 043396415423

Ultraviolet - 044: Complete Collection | MSRP: $38.99 | UPC: 043396415751

Viper's Creed: Complete Collection | MSRP: $45.99 | UPC: 043396415447

Last edited by WTK on Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2