• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Berserk OVA?!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote

There's REALLY not anything I can add to that except that I died of happy when I witnessed it. Shocked

Well, it looks like it might start after the eclipse, though maybe not keeping in continuity with the TV series, although it could. (The only reason I say this is because of "madness Caska" here.) I also see Puck, so it might be a retelling. I wouldn't mind a retelling, but a continuation of the TV series would be better. It was a good series as it was, it just...didn't have an ending.

UNTIL NOW!!! Very Happy
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:54 pm Reply with quote
That's so damn surprising. I'm shocked.
Probably the best news I could've heard this year.
The continuation from the tv series would've been better indeed but this ova give us a hint about a possible new tv series.
Zewerr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:01 am Reply with quote
OMG, I so want to watch it. I too am really curious what it's going to be in relation with the TV series. But those screenshots look really promising. After seeing these picts, there's no way it can be anything but freakin' awesome! I can't wait until they release more information on it.

EDIT: I thought I'd mention he's slicing at least FOUR people in half with only one swing!!! What a badass!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote
It shows Puck,so it has nothing to do with the series that came out in 1997.It would be nice to see this made,page by page from the manga.The series is so big at this point it would take a while for the animators to catch up.Though I would fear any filler,Berserk is a definite license to print money.Truly it's greatness should have been animated many times over by now.It's just one of those things.

I'm a huge fan of Berserk,not so much that bastardized anime version though.Puck is an integral part of the main plot.
Ardlien

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:10 am Reply with quote
I'd prefer a prettier retelling myself, I'm not a fan of where the manga headed after the eclipse. That said, cool news.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:02 am Reply with quote
Where did you find these? Can you offer a source or something? Not to say I don't believe you but I'd like to know for sure before I get my hopes up. I really can't think of any anime project I'd like to see happen more than this.

Based on this though it looks like a full retelling. Unless there's something I'm forgetting the first image must be from the initial battle with Zodd in the castle.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:56 am Reply with quote
Wait. JesuOtaku, you can confirm these are screencaps from an actual OVA episode that you personally watched? Because I have just a few small problems believing this.

Reasons why I don't believe that this is legitimate:

--- 1): The first picture looks like a screenshot from a game. The animation (well, the way it was drawn) is different than how the other three were done. Especially the monster.

--- 2): There has been NOTHING about this OVA as far as I can tell. No news, no leaks, so announcements or, well, anything. Which leads me into my third point . . .

--- 3): A second- slash properly done faithful-to-the-Manga-season of Berserk is (very) high on most Anime fans' wish lists. The number of fans who would kill for such a season is probably uncomfortably high. Therefore, for something like to come out of the blue - in the vein of "Hey you guys, we just completed one of Anime's most longed-for products in total secrecy, now we are just going to post it somewhere and have Wikipedia and ANN completely oblivious to its very existence even after we've put it up", well... let me put it this way:

It. Is. In-con-cei-va-ble.

Edit: Ah, I've had some time to calm down. Looks like those shots were just concept art, nothing more. Here I was thinking that they had already completed it; heh. Now, apparently according to the rumours Studio 4C is going to animate it, although in the thread where this whole thing originated there is also a hint that it might be Beetrain. Either way, although I really do hope that this is real, I've had my hopes dashed too many times in the past. I won't believe this until it is confirmed; dealing in rumours isn't much fun when the subject matter is this important.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:09 am Reply with quote
If these are real that's fantastic. I really want more Berserk anime! Heaven knows they have enough volumes of manga material to really produce something now May it be animated well to present Berserk properly in all it's bloody gorey/glory!
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:24 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

It. Is. In-con-cei-va-ble.

Why must you be such a jerk about it? We know how many syllables are in the word "inconceivable."

It's a little early to celebrate, but damn it I'm going to celebrate anyway because unless this is a very elaborate hoax those shots look top-notch. This is how Berserk deserves to be animated, although I would prefer a series over OVAs. The only thing that makes me nervous is that the manga doesn't have an ending yet, so we won't really be able to look for one in any animated sequels as of now.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:30 am Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
Why must you be such a jerk about it? We know how many syllables are in the word "inconceivable."

I don't get it. After all that I wrote, you make a non sequitur and comment on the number of syllables in "inconceivable"? Pray tell, how am I the jerk here?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:40 am Reply with quote
This is where I found it.

It's not like I'm claiming this as official news or anything. (Hence the question mark in the title.) But I'm not one to freak over stupid rumors and cute development art like that stuff for the EVA movie that's never going to happen. These are either from a new video game, or they're fo rizzle. Rumor has it they are fo rizzle.

Although I don't see how these shots are "concept art," by the way, dtm42. To me, they look fully finished cels. Anyway, I don't know anything for certain, I just knew these images were TOO good not to share. The reason ANN and Wiki don't know about is that it was leaked yesterday on little blogs and forums from...I think only one source. I know I originally only found it three places. It's probably everywhere now, though. I just found it earlier than most, that's all.

For my two cents, I don't want the whole manga reanimated faithfully again. That's the pain we're all suffering through with FMA: Brotherhood right now. Rushing through the Band of the Hawk arc until the post-eclipse stuff only to be annoyingly faithful to a manga that should have ended with a Gutts/Griffith final battle years ago? I say thee nay. Let's be creative and give the story a conclusion and its best bits, please? Anime smile (Maybe?)

P.S. If the original anime hadn't removed Puck from the storyline, it wouldn't have functioned as what it was: a much less fantastical and character-driven story. Puck was kind of in the way. The OVA could be different, I'm just talking about what worked for the first series, which I enjoyed save that it had no ending.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
rainbowcourage wrote:

I don't get it. After all that I wrote, you make a non sequitur and comment on the number of syllables in "inconceivable"? Pray tell, how am I the jerk here?

I just thought you were referencing the Princess Bride. I didn't think it was a jerk reaction.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:02 am Reply with quote
Well here's my two cents on it...
1: I tend to not trust sources where the website ends in .biz, too much bad stuff comes from those.
2: They could very well be screencaps from one of the games that never hit American shores, I can't say anything for sure since I haven't played them, which is why I say it's a possibility.
3: I know I said two cents, but that's just a phrase...Until there's a more reliable source citing this, I wouldn't be so excited. I too am a fan of this series, but ifI believed everyone that said there's gonna be a new Berserk within X amount of time, I would have been duped on many an occasion.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:08 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I just thought you were referencing the Princess Bride. I didn't think it was a jerk reaction.

Well, I was (I love that movie), but I wrote the word as if each syllable was its own word or sentence, depending on how you read the hyphens. I could equally have used periods (fullstops) for a similar effect.

Anyway, as to the thorny issue of Puck, they could always pull a Hellsing and just redo the parts we've already seen before getting to the new material Unfortunately, as Berserk was twenty-six episodes long, as opposed to the six(?) episodes we got of the Hellsing series before it caught up with the Manga, that would mean trouble. The options are to make quite a few OVAs for viewers to slog through before the new material appears, or just adopt an Usain Bolt -style speed and rush it, sacrificing plot and character development regarding the old stuff in order to cut down the OVA count. Neither is a very good option. But they obviously haven't left Puck out - assuming this is actually going ahead - so they'll have to make some interesting decisions.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
rainbowcourage wrote:

How does making a joke make me a jerk? I was trying to make my point and keep it light at the same time. It's true, I missed the reference, but my point was and is-- if your post is interesting we'll read it without all the GIANT RED LETTERS and other unnecessary emphases.

I'm just saying, if you're going to shoot something down...couldn't you be a little gentler about it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2