• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cowboy Bebop the movie

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Anyone seen it? Its a great movie. I especialy like it when Vincent mentions Purgatory.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I love the movie, I rated it Masterpiece in My Anime. The animation quality is SO much smoother than the TV series, and the music seemed to also take it up just a slight notch, and I loved the TV series' OST enough already Anime hyper.

I basically viewed it as one long episode, but it was fun in that it retained a lot from the series through the characters and an interesting stand alone story. If you're a fan of the series, how could you not feel the same about something that's better in overall production values?

Even my mother likes it, and she just about never watches anime. It's a fun movie and has a lot of energy for those who like sci-fi, action dramas, a really great title, in my opinion.
Shiro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Great, I'm glad that I'm not the only one. It rocked! It was the best...well, second best, anime movie ever! The best that I've seen was bubblegum crissis epasode 8
Dragononi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:10 pm Reply with quote
It was also one of the few anime movies that had a wide spread theater release in the U.S. Great movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tvgood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:15 pm Reply with quote
That really was a great movie and thats why i bought it.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:21 pm Reply with quote
The Bebop movie is awesome, yes, awesome movie to an equally great series. I saw it durring it's release, promptly bought it on DVD when it came out too.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Shiro wrote:
Anyone seen it? Its a great movie. I especialy like it when Vincent mentions Purgatory.

I love crazy-ass badguys like him trying to destroy the world for their own crazy-ass badguy reasons. Vincent is definitely one of my favourite baddies; I also have a brother that once looked exactly like him. I should have taken a picture then, because he cut his hair.
matticans

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Dragononi wrote:
It was also one of the few anime movies that had a wide spread theater release in the U.S. Great movie.

hell ya. the movie theatre surround sound made the movie sooooo incredible Shocked .
i wish i could watch it there again Crying or Very sad .
msi435

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Ya, man everything bebop is awesome! You think vicious is evil, then the guy from the movie (the name escapes me right now) comes around, that dude is fricken' bad mother flippin' ass!!!

On a some what related topic, wasn’t there supposed to be a cowboy bebop prequel umm I think it was called U.T. Ural Transmission or something. It was supposed to be about heavy metal queen and her legendary bounty hunter husband. Are they still doing production on that? Were they ever doing production? Or am I crazy. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Dragononi wrote:

Uhh... no, It was on 29 screens a weekend at its widest.

A true wide release is usually at least 1800 screens at minimum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lazuright

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:32 am Reply with quote
Loved it! I saw it in theaters and i just had to own it! One of the best movies ever to come out!
Billbo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:36 am Reply with quote
I feel So bad now i only saw half the movie Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:33 pm Reply with quote
As much as I loved CB, I was somewhat disapointed by the movie. I was expecting this big hooplah, and new revelation, but I didn't see that. Sure, the animation was great, and the story was good. Like Tony K, I too saw it as 1 big episode, but that's what turned me off. I felt that it didn't add anything relevant to the series. Maybe because the shows ending was so final, this movie coming out afterwards was doomed from the start.

In my opinion, CB had a nice run all the way though, and it didn't need anything more... especially 2hrs of filler. Maybe I'd have thought better of it if it were more of a retelling of the story, ie Escaflowne, RahXephon, Death (Eva death & rebirth). I'd even take adding to the story like Rebirth/End of Eva, or Ah! My Goddess. But because it wasn't anything but an excuse for more Spike Fan Service.

Cowboy Bebop is a great show - one of my favorites, but I don't recomend the movie. It's unnecessary, and servers no purpous. In that regard, it's right up there with (the first) Inuyasha and Yu Gi Oh movies.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:45 am Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:
As much as I loved CB, I was somewhat disapointed by the movie. I was expecting this big hooplah, and new revelation, but I didn't see that. Sure, the animation was great, and the story was good. Like Tony K, I too saw it as 1 big episode, but that's what turned me off. I felt that it didn't add anything relevant to the series. Maybe because the shows ending was so final, this movie coming out afterwards was doomed from the start.

It's meant as nothing more than one big ep. One more chance to see Spike and the gang in action, nothing more. Since the story had already been played to it's inevitable conclusion, there was nothing else it could add. It's a great movie, and I highly recommend it. You just have to go into it knowing that it really IS nothing more than one extra long episode.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:49 am Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:
Maybe I'd have thought better of it if it were more of a retelling of the story, ie Escaflowne, RahXephon, Death (Eva death & rebirth).

It can be a retelling of the story if you want it to be. Just imagine that spike dies after grabbing that butterfly at the end of the move. Lets say he dies from, oh let me see......... brain cancer?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2