• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Reflections, Director's Cut

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animalia555

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Does any body know if Samurai X (Rurouni Kenshin) Reflections, The Directors Cut, has any new footage.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Well seeing as how the first copy was listed at 60 minutes running time, and now the Director's Cut at 98 minutes, I suppose they did add something, unless they just carelessly added the interview footage and such as a part of that extra 38 minutes...

I used to own their first version, but I got rid of it since I didn't like it all that much. I did, however, enjoy the interviews with the seiyuu and found it to be a very enlightening perpsective on how they felt re-portraying their characters.

And now, this new version apparently also includes interviews with the dub cast, something I'll be sure to avoid since I feel both "Samurai X" dubs are terrible, in fact, as bad as the TV series. But that is simply my opinion..

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:17 pm Reply with quote
scince on the topic, how about the Trust and Betrayle directors cut, anydifference in those and the origionals?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Perfectsword wrote:
since on the topic, how about the Trust and Betrayl Director's Cut, any difference in those and the originals?

Tsuioku-hen Director's Cut is basically all 4 OAV episodes merged into a 2 hour movie format. On top of that, they also made it widescreen, though to me it looks more like they just cut out parts of the top and bottom portions of the screen (kind of tacky looking, actually).

I believe they also added some footage (of a fight scene I don't remember right now) and took out the music when:

spoiler[ Kenshin was fighting Tomoe's fiance (whatever his name is).]

The subtitles are (unfortunately) the same as in the original OAV format (big letters, skinny font, and oddly spaced apart, but still with a decent translation). I don't care for the dub, so I didn't even bother listening to it. I'm not sure if it's any different.

Aside from those, nothing else really comes to mind. Oh, and it's cheaper to buy than the OAV set, but I'd still recommend the original OAV because of its, ironically, better continuity.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
but I'd still recommend the original OAV because of its, ironically, better continuity.

Yeah, the transitional animation inserted into the Director's Cut really doesn't add enough to the story to warrant its even being there. The OVA version flows better, and it keeps Taku Iwasaki's masterful musical score the way it should be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:16 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

IOh, and it's cheaper to buy than the OAV set, but I'd still recommend the original OAV because of its, ironically, better continuity.

What do you mean by "Better continuity"?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Perfectsword wrote:
What do you mean by "Better continuity"?

Pretty much what Nagisa said. The original OAV was supposed to be in an episode format with ending credits after each episode.

In the Director's Cut version, they eliminate the credits, but in a way where the transition from one episode to the next isn't as smooth because they just joined all 4 episodes together.

On top of that, some of the scenes on the Director's Cut are missing the music, which in my opinion is a no-no since it did such a great job contributing to the overall presentation.

To me, as strange as it sounds, I like going an episode at a time, rather than watching the entire thing without breaks in two hours. It just seems easier for the story to sink in.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:37 am Reply with quote
My sister and I were disappointed in the director's cut of Trust and Betrayel. There wasn't enough footage added to make it worthwhile. The change to widescreen was REALLY ANNOYING.

Unfortunately we bought it before we read "Shelf Life". Bamboo didn't recommend it either. If you already own the originals, it's not worth the money to buy the director's cut.
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:30 am Reply with quote
Well, i have the Box set alredy. I just needed to know the difference.

It must suck not having that gret music in it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1