• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Berserk ending wot the? *SPOILER*

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:35 am Reply with quote
Recently I watched the whole Berserk series and it was really good and all but the last say.... two episodes got a bit..hmm...psycho, creepy,weird, among other things. spoiler[up to where we found out that Griffith was being tortured it was good and from then on it just got weird. When I started watching the series I was expecting a realistic and fair story about a hero, and then Zodd the Immortal appeared and i was like 'oh that's ok it's just one monster'..... little did i know that all the characters would soon be swallowed up by hell and all gruesomely eaten by 20 monsters!] I obviously misjudged the series but still... don't you think that the creators got a bit carried away, or is that how you like it?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:32 am Reply with quote
Miura wanted to save the bulk of supernatural events till the end, to (what I think he was trying to acheive) a more shocking conclusion. If you read the manga, you'll find it's quite rife with the supernatural. Take for instance the part where they spoiler[free Griffith from the dungeon. As they are getting away, they are confronted by knights. In the Manga, however, they are attacked by Wild, a dog-man rapist who can turn into a gigantic tentacle monster who gives Guts a fair whalloping. It's probably one of the best fight scenes I've seen drawn, considering it last for atleast 70 or so pages. ]

Suffice to say, there's a considerable ammount of differences between the Anime and the Manga, while still retaining the story. The Berserk Anime should be appreciated for it's own merits, but I beleive the original intention for it was a promotional tool for the Manga, which is one of the very few that I'd ever reccomend, ever.
philg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:26 am Reply with quote
Oh yes, I thought there might be some importance of the manga! Thanks, maybe I will read that Wink
gnikdrazil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:04 am Reply with quote
The anime only gives 2 warning signs before the ending: 1st episode and Zodd. The first episode was condensed from 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 manga books. I liked the manga after spoiler[everyone getting devoured], but I never really liked the new characters after.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:27 pm Reply with quote
philg wrote:
Recently I watched the whole Berserk series and it was really good and all but the last say.... two episodes got a bit..hmm...psycho, creepy,weird, among other things. spoiler[up to where we found out that Griffith was being tortured it was good and from then on it just got weird. When I started watching the series I was expecting a realistic and fair story about a hero, and then Zodd the Immortal appeared and i was like 'oh that's ok it's just one monster'..... little did i know that all the characters would soon be swallowed up by hell and all gruesomely eaten by 20 monsters!] I obviously misjudged the series but still... don't you think that the creators got a bit carried away, or is that how you like it?

The first episode should have clued you into the way the series was going. If anything you would be led to believe from the first episode that there would be far more supernatural shinanigans going on than there was.
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I personally see the Berserk anime as nothing more than a 25 episode advertisement for the manga
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Arkard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I personally see the Berserk anime as nothing more than a 25 episode advertisement for the manga

I call it a teaser trailer Wink
They had a good idea - showing one of the most interesting arcs which is Guts past. But the manga is better in almost everyway so you really MUST get it. The superb art, wonderfully paced out story, the superb art, the characters(!) and did I mention the art? ;P
kamiboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, too bad that the English releases haven't even caught up with the end of the anime yet.
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:06 pm Reply with quote
ParaParaJMo wrote:

That line of thought always seemed silly to me. I thought the show was an excellent piece of storytelling on its own. Obviously, it also sold comics. But saying it was simply an advertisement for manga is like saying Toy Story was simply an advertisement for the movie merchandise. They're both money-making machines for sure, but I don't think that takes away from any artistic merit they have. Basically, almost ALL movies and shows are advertising for something. Berserk was too good a show, IMO, to be looked at as soley being gratuitous advertising, and nothing else.

Anways, mostly, simply saying it was just a big advertisement seems to imply you thought the show had no value in its own right, and that buged me. I guess that's all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1