• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
TRSI's new webpage look

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I instinctively despise change unless the benefits of the change are immediately apparent to me. Therefore, I'm going to hold off making any comments on the new look until I absorb it more.

However, I do have one urgent question: does the new layout still include the New / Recently Changed Items section? I can't seem to find it. If it no longer exists, then consider this my impassioned plea to bring it back. That was indispensable feature for me.

eta: never mind, I found it. However, I don't like the fact you really have to go hunting for it. You have to scroll down to the bottom of the page under the Popular Shopping section, click on New Items and even then the info isn't right there, you have to scroll down the page to find it. I preferred the old system better - the button was right at the top of the page (basically) and when you clicked on it, you immediately were at the new items listing.

Last edited by Blood- on Wed May 23, 2012 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Saiki_Thorn

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised to see that Right Stuf's site had changed. I went here to see if there was any topic about it. It will take me a little to get used to. I doubt I will be bother by it. Also if the New/Recently Changed is gone, I would want it back as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
However, I do have one urgent question: does the new layout still include the New / Recently Changed Items section? I can't seem to find it. If it no longer exists, then consider this my impassioned plea to bring it back. That was indispensable feature for me.

I see it, scroll down to where there's the blue boxes at the end, under popular shopping, it's "new items", it'll link to changed and no longer available too just like last time. Since we know Shawne and his minion read the forum, maybe they'll see fit to move it up, as I found it to be vital too.

Hmm, so I decided to search to see how this site works now, fiddle with it a bit, I kinda miss just a list of text, I really wish that were an option or something. When looking through manga series that are quite long (like Kekkaishi), I like being able to find the volumes I want easily, all on one page where I can simply ignore the "Kekkaishi Graphic Novel" part that's the same and focus on just the number. I definitely see the pictures being useful for some, but for me, I like text. I also don't like having the top 6 things displayed for me, because they are almost never what I want ever, I just want it all to show up right now. I don't mind for things that don't have a ton of products for them, but FMA for example? Tons of stuff, man! I'll admit though, never been a fan of grid block style display, I prefer the picture on the left with description on the right, kinda like what Amazon does. I feel it helps me scan for the info I want faster and can use the picture to make double sure instead of having the picture be front and center.

Also, when I used the basic search for, say, "Kekkaishi Graphic" or "Fullmetal Alchemist Graphic" to help weed out wall scrolls, DVDs, keychains, etc, but when I did so this time, it apparently decided to just list everything with the word "Graphic" as I suddenly had 7290 search results. I would say that it clearly ignored the first word (actually, switching it didn't seem to help at all), that most certainly needs to be fixed.
Saiki_Thorn

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
CZ beat me to it. Why am I not surprised? Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I preferred the old system better - the button was right at the top of the page (basically) and when you clicked on it, you immediately were at the new items listing.

I always just had it bookmarked. Looks like it's the same link but looks... unfinished.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
^^Because I type faster than you, Saiki, that's why you lack suspense

Ok, so now I clicked the "weekly specials", why do they get a nice list like I like so much? Actually, does it only give me those stupid blocks if I use the thing in the upper right corner? When I searched from the weeklies list, it gave me a normal list. Hell, it didn't even give me all the graphic novels this time when I put "Kekkaishi Graphic", wth? Why doesn't the top right search thing do that?!

*edit, actually it does the list thing from any search thing except the one in the top right, also known as the one I'm most likely to use.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Not a fan of the new search engine. You know I had thought I would like images but it makes reading the results take longer and it's not fun with how slow the update is making everything. I can't even cut out the swag and just look for the dvds by typing in say Hetalia and Dvd.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm also not crazy about the fact that now when you click on a lot of buttons you immediately get that long list of categories and you have to click on "skip to content" to get to the section you actually want. I suppose, however, having that list at the top would be handy if you want to go to different sections from the one you are currently in. I guess I can live with that.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I instinctively despise change unless the benefits of the change are immediately apparent to me. Therefore, I'm going to hold off making any comments on the new look until I absorb it more.

A number of requests for this. We'll get it featured more prominently in the store dropdown here shortly.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

Also, when I used the basic search for, say, "Kekkaishi Graphic" or "Fullmetal Alchemist Graphic" to help weed out wall scrolls, DVDs, keychains, etc, but when I did so this time, it apparently decided to just list everything with the word "Graphic" as I suddenly had 7290 search results. I would say that it clearly ignored the first word (actually, switching it didn't seem to help at all), that most certainly needs to be fixed.

The new search is using "OR" instead of "AND" like you're used to.

Here's a link to information on how to really use the new search functionality.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/search/help/

Understand it's a change, but you'll see the new searching is going to give you a lot more options and ability to narrow. Take a look.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
Not a fan of the new search engine. You know I had thought I would like images but it makes reading the results take longer and it's not fun with how slow the update is making everything. I can't even cut out the swag and just look for the dvds by typing in say Hetalia and Dvd.

If you search for "HETALIA AND DVD" or "+Hetalia +DVD" I think you'll get what you're looking for.

This is more like a search you'd use on google would provide, it's looking for any of your search terms. I understand it's different, please read the URL that I provided for search help, I think it will be useful for you.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
^that is a very helpful page, thank you!
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm also not crazy about the fact that now when you click on a lot of buttons you immediately get that long list of categories and you have to click on "skip to content" to get to the section you actually want. I suppose, however, having that list at the top would be handy if you want to go to different sections from the one you are currently in. I guess I can live with that.

This was a style sheet error. It should be corrected now, if you refresh. Like anything, this is a big system and we're watching various places for what people are running into and deploying fixes as we go. We really do appreciate your feedback - our IT team wants to make the site work for you, so let us know anything you have for suggestions on this link:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QDTH2L8
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Made some additional tweaks to search, including switching the default operator to "AND" when you put in multiple terms. Let us know if this helps in your searching. Plus, again, check out the help page I posted for the search above, it makes things really useful when you can do the fuzzy searches and limiting searches.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
If you're taking requests...

Please, please, please, please (I'm begging here) put the search and cart links atop the page (and every page). I can't stress enough how annoying it is to scroll to the bottom of one page, then find it atop another. 99.99% of every website has the search atop the page, and that's where people are used to seeing it.

As for the layout itself, it'll take time to adjust to it, but it seems pretty straight-forward. Though, search is my #1 tool I use on the site (because I keep forgetting I have the search feature added to Firefox Sad).

That's all I have for now.

Thanks for reading. Smile

Hold up... why am I addressing this here? Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2