• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cheap releases.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 11:25 am Reply with quote
I was browsing at a DVD store the other day, and I noticed that lots of old stuff, like Ed Sullivan shows, are being released in relatively inexpensive boxed sets. I suppose older stuff is cheap to license, and if you keep the bells and whistles to a minimum you can afford to put out material that will make up in price point what it lacks in trendiness. So as anime becomes more mainstream, what are the odds that old shows will be scooped up and released in the West in low-cost formats? Lots of old series couldn't sustain a premier release, but the hard-core fans might be able to sustain a series of low-cost boxed set of vintage shows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I would love to have DVDs of some of the shows that were shown for a while, and then axed. I remember watching a somewhat recent (5 years ago?) series by Chris Carter called Harsh Realm that my friend and I loved, but it withered away, and I'd love to have a copy now.
I'm just happy they finally released Better Off Dead on DVD! Very Happy

But anyway, back to the point~ I think they would start releasing anime more cheaply. They already do. Like, with all that old stuff like Ninja Scroll and what not. Last time I checked the video stores, they were selling them for quite a bit less than what it used to be at. I guess for now, though, anime is still a semi-novelty, and even if they do re-release old stuff, they throw in an extra 3 minutes of footage, or a tin box, and mark it up $10 extra. Heh, maybe some day though. But by then all the good stuff people would've already bought. But I guess it'd be for the new generation of fans then. (I swear to God I always feel old talking about anime. Grrrrr...)
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, I was thinking more about old stuff that hasn't been released over here, stuff that's too old to reach as large an audience as the newest, slickest anime, but that could still sell to some of the old-school anime fans. Shows from the sixties through the early eighties that are good shows of their times, but look too old to get a broad release. There's a bunch of them, and I'd like to see some of them in legit releases. But for cheap releases of these shows to sell over here anime has to become even more mainstream, so there are enough people willing to buy anime other than whatever's this week's hot title.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:06 pm Reply with quote
The problem is that there are many fewer "old skool" anime fans than there are "old skool" hollywood fans.

As the market grows, you've got more and more interested Anime Fans, but the "old skool" fans will remain relatively few.

Hopefully we are enough to get companies to do this, but there are certainly many more "I Love Lucy" fans in North American than "Ge Ge Ge no Kitaro" fans.
caulfield

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:35 pm Reply with quote
At least some old american cartoon series are being released in sets. Even GI Joe is coming in 2003. Maybe after that they will release sets of Conan, Dark Water, The Mysterious Cities of Gold, and Spartacus and the Sun Beneath the Sea.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Yow, Spartacus! I've been trying to remember what that show was for years! Caulfield, you're the wind beneath my wings.
caulfield

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Don't flatter me... Seriously, I don't deserve it. I'm less hip than I am outright pathetic. I've only mentioned above the shows I am proud to have been a fan of in my youth. Here are some others I also watched regularly but am not so proud of:

-Jem
-Beverly Hills Kids
-My Little Pony
-Hulk Hogan's Rock & Wrestling

And these are just the ones I will admit to watching.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 5:03 pm Reply with quote
caulfield wrote:

-Hulk Hogan's Rock & Wrestling

I was bored in class one day so I drew a cartoon of Zombie Hulk Hogan. He was gnawing on somebody's skull and saying "Now I'm eating your BRAINS, brother!"

But anyway. There is a bit of interest to be had in some of the older, Tezuka-era shows. There's the recent Gigantor DVD boxed set, and I hear Right Stuf is going to do something neat with Kimba later on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Truly outrageous. Truly, truly, truly outrageous.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 5:52 pm Reply with quote
That was 'Beverly Hills Teens'.

What's worse? That we watched that horrible garbage or that I corrected you on the name?

You decide.
-Zac
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 6:15 pm Reply with quote
No, "Truly, truly, truly outrageous." was Jem; it was the theme song they used for the first 2 or 3 seasons before they switched to "Me and my friends are Jem girls. Jem! Jem is my name! Exciting adventures, fashion and fame, once you're a Jem girl you're never the same, come on, come on and be a Jem girl, Jem! Jem is my name!"

Lyrics to every Jem theme song.

I don't remember Beverly Hills' Teens but I did watch Maxie where the theme went "Surfside High School by the sun... (something, something) have fun, there's a girl who's one of a kind, a friend like her is hard to find. Maxie, Maxie, her own TV show. Maxie, Maxie (something, something). Good things are happening in Maxie's world."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 6:19 pm Reply with quote
ADV seems to be on the right track for the moment picking up a bunch of titles (though mostly non-anime) and attempting to slap 6 or so eps on a DVD for cheap. I forget what titles the were doing, but I know they're doing the US Megaman series and I heard they were also doing the US Darkstalkers series (god that was an awful show). If someone did a release like that with Voltron I would die a very, very happy man! Very Happy

Let's not forget the ADV Robotech and Ronin Warriors releases, those had a pretty good #of episodes/price ratio going on. Rhino's release of Transformers, while not anime, is also great, 24 episodes and special features for $50-60 is a great deal all on a 4 disc box set with booklet, animation cells, and great looking folding box. Wish more box sets came like that.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cgoten

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I heard they were also doing the US Darkstalkers series (god that was an awful show).

I used to get up at like 5:30 to watch that show! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Cgoten wrote:
Emerje wrote:
I heard they were also doing the US Darkstalkers series (god that was an awful show).

I used to get up at like 5:30 to watch that show! :D

Darkstalkers...

... like, as in... THE darkstalkers? The same Darkstalkers as in the fighting game Darkstalkers? :p

Oh well, musta missed that one. i'd almost consider hunting it down just for the "it can't be THAT bad, can it?" factor...

... except that if you thought anime pirates were vicious -- 80s cartoon traders are even worse... $30+ for 2 hours of 5th gen VHS 80s cartoons isn't unreasonable, in the 'old school' cartoon trading circuit.. the stuff that was only in limited syndication can go for some pretty high prices on eBay. :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Slim Shinji
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
Oh well, musta missed that one. i'd almost consider hunting it down just for the "it can't be THAT bad, can it?" factor...

Oh trust me...it CAN!

Cookie wrote:
... except that if you thought anime pirates were vicious -- 80s cartoon traders are even worse... $30+ for 2 hours of 5th gen VHS 80s cartoons isn't unreasonable, in the 'old school' cartoon trading circuit.. the stuff that was only in limited syndication can go for some pretty high prices on eBay. :p

This is kinda off-subject (and maybe even belongs in the "Full Circle" thread) but if Disney's so desperate to make a buck these days why haven't they taken notice that people are paying upwards of $100 for bootleg VCDs of DuckTales and other 80s Disney toons?? They could make some quick, fast cash if they slapped some of the old Disney Afternoon shows onto discs.

DuckTales rocked. I defy anyone to say otherwise!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2