• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Platinum End

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I never read Samurai 8 so I can't judge its likelihood of being "axed", but I think it probably would've had a better chance given that the competition is way less severe. Of course whatever "counts" as a success to you is none of my business, I just don't think its appropriate to judge Platinum's End success in terms of audience reception purely on whether it was cancelled prematurely or not because it ran in a magazine where cancellation is not the constant looming threat that it would be in Weekly Jump.

I'd also argue that Platinum End would probably have been axed before completion if it had run on Weekly Jump. At its peak PE didn't break 200k volume sales total (and had fallen to 50k by its 10th volume), which, if you look at Weekly Jump, a series like Phantom Seer was selling around 100k on its first week and still got cancelled so...

*of course this is all hypothetical, as PE would've never run in Weekly Jump given how much R-rated stuff it has
TheBeastAR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:37 am Reply with quote
For those of us who have read the manga, I think we're all looking forward to the review of the final episode of this show Smile

In terms of what others have said about Oba and his previous works, while I will still contend that Death Note and Bakuman are good (warts and all) and they both had pretty fun live action adaptations (The Last Name is a much better ending to the series personally), Oba strikes me as the kind of person who happened to get lucky. While I was excited to read PE and the previous good will I had carried through for the first several volumes, I can't defend the series in good conscience. I'm certain for the final episode review this will come up again, but it bears repeating just how lazy, superficial and empty Platinum End as a series truly is. For the series that could have been a meaningful mediation on religion and spirituality, it wastes that potential and seems quite content to wallow in surface level, edgy, stereotypical rubbish.

And the last chapter (and the next episode) was beyond insulting.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:57 am Reply with quote
Y'all are getting me really excited for the last episode. *rubs hands together*. I'm ready for tomorrow.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:59 pm Reply with quote
TheBeastAR wrote:
The Last Name is a much better ending to the series personally
Truth.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I came back just to see the end of this stinker animated, which is funny considering how many non-animated manga stills are used. Hilarious that they didn't even get anyone to voice the lines at the end while also making the lines move so fast it looked more like some bad, angsty poem, rather than a conversation. Bye bye.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Whelp, the ending was as bad as it was promised to be. Cool.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:49 am Reply with quote
I was never interested in this anime to begin with, I haven't seen a single episode, and I've never read the manga. But I did read the ending spoiler all the way back in the Fall 2021 Preview Guide thread, and based on what I saw in some of the weekly reviews I knew this poor reviewer would go into conniptions at this ending.

All I can say is for a series that seemed to be about overcoming suicidal thoughts this ending seems really insulting. It makes me wonder if Dyspear from Go! Princess Pretty Cure influenced the ending's writing, because "Go and despair" seems to be the message here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:50 am Reply with quote
Man, that ending really does come off as totally unplanned. If the purpose of god was basically just to exist, then Mirai and his do nothing outlook would have made more sense. But edgelord kid was already picked by then, so no take backs, I guess. Then he decides not to just do nothing since the author probably realized that would be an utterly pointless way to leave things. Ironically, I think that still comes off as pointless because everyone is gone, nobody cares that they won't exist, so what did any of it matter? Then the "twist" I can only chalk up to deciding that if a human could become god, then there must have been an even higher being that created the first god. The problem is, I don't think anyone was even asking that question, and dumping it at the very end means that there isn't much point in even dwelling on it.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:48 am Reply with quote
Let me point out first that I absolutely love tragic endings, from light bittersweet to Space Runaway Ideon levels. The feeling of inevitability as everyone hurdles toward the end leaves you breathless, and a really good one will paralyze and stay with you for days.

This show is shit.

It's like the author flew in a plane loaded with so many conceptual luggage yet forgot how to use the landing gear. And missed several fueling stations. And the navigator was drunk. All all the passengers took turns in the cockpit. My aeronautic analogy needs more work. As did this stinkcheese.

Tragedy only works when the audience cares about the characters, and none of them were in the least likeable.

Still, one could pose that the real problem was of reputation rather than design. The creators had one great series (defend Bakuman all you like) and we all had high expectations for what came next. Pretty much like when Trigger after Kill la Kill made Commonplace Longass Name.

But you can't deny that this was a mediocre series, a lame steer that meandered toward the killing floor to seve up discount bull's ass in the grocery store; sure the butcher will insist the meat was cut right, but it was already fargone before it went to market. Again, need better metaphors.

Point being, this was a train wreck, most suited for a group anime binge party with alcohol.

So I'm looking forward to the reaction videos.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:

All I can say is for a series that seemed to be about overcoming suicidal thoughts this ending seems really insulting. It makes me wonder if Dyspear from Go! Princess Pretty Cure influenced the ending's writing, because "Go and despair" seems to be the message here.

Hilariously, I actually think the message is *supposed* to actually be about how invaluable each life is, and I mean that in total seriousness. If God had never killed himself, the world wouldn’t have come undone. But boy do you have to really squint armed with a magnifying glass to read between those times.
Jay_Stone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I only have watched the first episode but maybe the thumbnail can be uploaded without the subtitles? It kinda spoiled it a little bit (at least that is what I think).
Kirki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:46 am Reply with quote
I don't know where to even begin with this. No seriously, I don't. It just looks so much like: "Well this was a failure, I wish those characters never existed - wait, I can actually write it that way!" *poof* Gone.

Nasse was a special being that existed before God... ok well and that amounted to nothing. "But she altered the God election process!" How? How was any result avoided? Wasn't the plan to make it so God would cease to exist anyways? "But heaven can't interfere in human affairs" Are you kidding me you gave people wings and arrows. You have already interfered. Muni wanted destruction... ok, why? But why? And if Nasse was something different, why did she disappear just like all the others? Nakaumi wanted to pass a message to Yoneda and the best way he thought of was suicide... You are freaking God. Write it on the clouds across his window. And the elephant in the room... why does God dying equal humanity dying? Probably because they aren't separate beings. But shouldn't that be the first thing Nakaumi would automatically know when he became God?

Then what should the right choice have been? What is the message? That Mirai should have become God and kept on doing nothing and everything got trashed because he selfishly chose his own personal happiness and that led to everyone's downfall? And for a series that kept on preaching against suicide, it turns its hill and tells us death is necessary and suicide is fine if the other option is to live forever?

Oh no. My brain cells. Have burnt out.
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:45 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Please see my reply above, it's way harder to get axed on Jump SQ than regular Weekly Jump

I don't even think they really "axe" series in Jump SQ or V Jump.

Jump SQ series that are less popular tend to just get shuffled to web serialization or the quarterly special edition magazine (currently called SQ Rise). It's also a bit of a dumping ground for Weekly Shonen Jump series that are prone to going on hiatus.

And V Jump of course primarily exists to market blockbuster legacy IPs, namely Dragon Ball, Dragon Quest, Digimon, Naruto, and Yu-Gi-Oh!, which make their money off licensing and merch.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:27 am Reply with quote
Amaranth Sparrow wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
Please see my reply above, it's way harder to get axed on Jump SQ than regular Weekly Jump

I don't even think they really "axe" series in Jump SQ or V Jump.

Jump SQ series that are less popular tend to just get shuffled to web serialization or the quarterly special edition magazine (currently called SQ Rise). It's also a bit of a dumping ground for Weekly Shonen Jump series that are prone to going on hiatus.

And V Jump of course primarily exists to market blockbuster legacy IPs, namely Dragon Ball, Dragon Quest, Digimon, Naruto, and Yu-Gi-Oh!, which make their money off licensing and merch.

I'm not familiar with how SQ works, but this would make sense to me. There doesn't seem to be a cycle of cancellations and new serializations like with weekly magazines, and as I mentioned above, in SQ the newest series started in February 2021, which means no series has ended (naturally or forcefully) in over a year. And if that's the case, it further negates the notion that if PE was able to complete its run without getting the axe it must mean it was successful
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:10 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
But you can't deny that this was a mediocre series

I can deny it. Mediocre would be a major improvement. I read ending spoilers after giving up on the manga and just now watched the last episode out of morbid curiosity. My expectations for how badly it would be handled turned out to be hopelessly inadequate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8