• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Attack on Deadlines

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
There's an odd undercurrent of homophobia in yuri fanboys from their distate of actual lesbian characters...

Umn, yuri fanboys don't hate lesbian characters. It's clear from the part of your post I quoted... well, from your entire post, that you have a very strange definition of "yuri fanboys." You've created this weird boogeyman group of fans that absolutely hate yaoi and treat yaoi fans like crap, have a massive amount of influence on the anime industry and are thus responsible for any problem yaoi fans have, and now, apparently these "yuri fanboys" also hate yuri and are homophobes.

It sounds like your entire problem is with juvenile, homophobic anime fans, and for some reason you've decided to attach the label of "yuri fanboys" onto them even though it makes no sense. People who dislike lesbian characters are not yuri fans, any more than people who dislike gay characters are BL fans.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote
That's not what I'm talking about. Take this following quote:

Quote:
As much as I love it, BSP only helps to illustrate the contrary: while series that tease lesbian undertones are liked well enough, actual yuri series(y'nkow, the ones with girls openly wanted another girl) have universally done badly. Had Marika decided she was gay, preorders would've tanked instantly.

I'm talking about these fans. The ones who don't want the girls to ACTUALLY be lesbian. Yaoi has/had this problem too I'll admit (cf. the mildly infamous "They're Not Gay They Just Love Each Other" phenomenon), before you mention it.

There are MANY men in the world who hate gay men but love lesbians because "girl on girl is hot". It's a (sadly) common belief.

If you're going to do a yuri series, go big or go home.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Quote:
As much as I love it, BSP only helps to illustrate the contrary: while series that tease lesbian undertones are liked well enough, actual yuri series(y'nkow, the ones with girls openly wanted another girl) have universally done badly. Had Marika decided she was gay, preorders would've tanked instantly.

I'm talking about these fans. The ones who don't want the girls to ACTUALLY be lesbian.

Not sure if Bodacious Space Pirates was the best example for that person to use anyway since spoiler[there is a kiss scene between two lesbian characters, and Jenny and Rin's relationship is more or less supported by all of their clubmates].

Then again, I actually like lesbian characters like Kuuko on Nyarko-san and Mugi from K-ON! I haven't really seen any hostility from yuri fans towards yaoi fans.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I haven't really seen any hostility from yuri fans towards yaoi fans.

Do you not go on anime forums?

Were you not on the internet when Free! was announced?

Where have you been these past few years?
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

The answers to those are: Yes, I frequent here, on Crunchyroll's forums(under different name) and on AS.

And yes, I was. I was more angry that Free! is taking KyoAni away from making more Haruhi since that is a zero-sum thing where if they are making one show, they can't really be working on a different one due to how KyoAni works. In fact, I've felt far more anger from moe fans towards Free! and its ilk than yuri fans. And I think yuri fans are more likely be LGBT than yaoi fans since yaoi exists for women and is not intended for gay men. (yuri tends to be by women for women).
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I've seen this arguement before for Noir and it was just as far-fetched then. Too much reading between lines that were just not there.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In fact, I've felt far more anger from moe fans towards Free! and its ilk than yuri fans.

And most yuri fanboys are moe fans, so you kinda just proved my point there.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
What about all the yuri fangirls? No, I guess those cannot exist.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about yuri fanboys, and not fanboys of actual yuri but the faux-yuri "They pine after each other but nothing ever actually happens" fanboys.

You know the ones who believe that everyone in Madoka is gay (when Sayaka is at the very least bisexual and Kyouko is debatable as well) or who wish that there's yuri teasing (that will never go anywhere) anytime a show has more than one important female character.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about yuri fanboys, and not fanboys of actual yuri but the faux-yuri "They pine after each other but nothing ever actually happens" fanboys.

Then stop calling them "yuri fanboys" if they don't like actual yuri.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
They're the ones who say they like yuri.
jree78

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Why are people getting upset over Digimon of all things? weird. I must be in the twilight zone. Shocked
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:13 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

Where have you been these past few years?

Free isn't yaoi. Maybe it has some yaoi subtext, but it wasn't announced as a full yaoi series.

And the people screaming about it weren't just yuri fans, or even primarily from what I could tell.

EDIT: Forgot to respond to this.

Chagen46 wrote:

Quote:

I'm talking about these fans. The ones who don't want the girls to ACTUALLY be lesbian. Yaoi has/had this problem too I'll admit (cf. the mildly infamous "They're Not Gay They Just Love Each Other" phenomenon), before you mention it.

There are MANY men in the world who hate gay men but love lesbians because "girl on girl is hot". It's a (sadly) common belief.

If you're going to do a yuri series, go big or go home.

I think BSP was a poor example, regardless, people who would purposely avoid a series that has lesbians are not yuri fans.

I don't understand you. It's like any time anyone on the internet says anything bad about an anime series you like, you assume it's a yuri fan badmouthing yaoi. It makes no sense.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:37 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Uh..most fans of "faux-yuri" as it's called--the ones who are far larger than fans of actual lesbian manga, hate male characters and want them gone. I don't have a problem witu real yuri, I have a problem with fans of "girl-on-girl is hot BUT NO LESBIANS" stuff and the inordinate influence they wield.

That and they have some ugly beliefs like how "lesbianism is childish" and how they don't want "real" lesbians" ('cause you still gotta self-insert ya know!). There's an odd undercurrent of homophobia in yuri fanboys from their distate of actual lesbian characters to their psychotic hatred of yaoi.

THOSE AREN'T YURI FANS YOU CONDESCENDING TWIT

Jesus [expletive] christ could you at least attempt to understand this basic point?!

You have basically said that anyone who likes yuri/lesbians is homophobic if they don't show the same devotion to gay male couples, which is bonkers. I don't expect yaoi fans to love yuri pairings, why should they? They're there for the gay men. The same thing with yuri fans.

That being said thare are several yaoi pairings I quite like (Maou/Ashiya OTP) and I count Prunus Girl as one of my all time favorite Manga. So please stop this ridiculous ranting against PEOPLE WHO ARE ON YOUR [expletive] SIDE.

Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
In fact, I've felt far more anger from moe fans towards Free! and its ilk than yuri fans.

And most yuri fanboys are moe fans, so you kinda just proved my point there.

As a general rule, yuri fans are moe for lesbians.

Out of curiosity, since you also spend a good amount of time ranting about /a/, have you ever, possibly, just maybe, considered visiting /u/ and seeing what the 4chan yuri community is like?

Or would you prefer to just keep beating up these strawmen yurifans you have created?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You have basically said that anyone who likes yuri/lesbians is homophobic if they don't show the same devotion to gay male couples, which is bonkers.

That is not what I said at all. Like, AT ALL.

I don't expect them to LIKE yaoi, but I do expect them to not treat me and my fellow Fujoshi as some kind of overweight freaks, and I do expect them to not rabidly bully any of us out any anime forum, which they do. Admit to being a yaoi fan on ANY anime forum like MAL and there WILL be jackasses coming along and calling you an overweight fujoshi whore who will never get laid. They'll call you a deluded sick woman (even if you aren't actually a woman) and slather on epithet after epithet AFTER EPITHET. They will continue this bullying until you leave.

I know this because it's happened to me.

Quote:
THOSE AREN'T YURI FANS YOU CONDESCENDING TWIT

THEN WHY DO THEY CALL THEMSELVES YURI FANS

See I can yell too.

Last edited by Chagen46 on Sun May 19, 2013 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7