• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - The Cockpit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carl Horn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm very fond of Leiji Matsumoto, but I was revolted by "Slipstream"'s putting the words in the mouth of a German scientist that whomever uses the atomic bomb "will be remembered as the worst mass murderers in history." Was it supposed to be, um, ironic? It wasn't even remotely factual. At that point in the war, Germany had already killed several times more civilians than Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined. If I'm not mistaken, the Auschwitz-Birkenau camp alone murdered several times more people than the two atomic bombs.

You didn't have to be a Nazi or an SS member to be complicit in this. Besides outright extermination, a major purpose of the concentration camp system was forced labor to build munitions for the German war effort. I remember a scene in Arcadia of my Youth where Phantom F. Harlock II and Tochiro witness a failed German missile launch, and there's a sense of regret that they're involved in a war, when they should be shooting for the stars. Perhaps so, and no doubt Werner Von Braun often thought so too, but many people don't know his V-2 rockets were also built by concentration camp labor; in fact more people died building them than were killed by the rocket attacks themselves. America used the research of Nazi rocket scientists (and Japanese bioweapons scientists) after the war; you can call that reparations if you like, but at the very least it's highly morally questionable.

I've felt that some (certainly not all--remember, it's the revisionists who tend to make the news) Japanese have a misplaced view of the war; shame that they lost it, but the idea that it was a noble cause. I feel it should be the other way around--it was an ignoble cause, but they shouldn't feel ashamed at having lost--it's not like they were cowards or didn't put up a fight. It took us longer to beat Japan than Germany, and in the end atomic bombs were necessary to allow surrender to become politically acceptable among the Japanese high command--that terrible weapon became a measure of Japan's terrible will. To paraphrase Ol' Dirty Bastard, I love my Matsumoto, but Matsumoto please.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote
mike: I don't really care whether they "like" us, as long as they learned their lesson. Ya dig?

Carl: I'm actually curious if this line was in the original manga. Was there an original manga for this segment? Or is it possible that they used Matsumoto's artwork to tell their own story that time? (Only Fred knows...) Anyway, yeah, I agree that the pot shouldn't be calling the kettle black. Hell, the only reason I agree with Vonnegut about Dresden is because the Germans aren't acting the same way as the Japanese.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I've felt that some (certainly not all--remember, it's the revisionists who tend to make the news) Japanese have a misplaced view of the war; shame that they lost it, but the idea that it was a noble cause. I feel it should be the other way around--it was an ignoble cause, but they shouldn't feel ashamed at having lost--it's not like they were cowards or didn't put up a fight.

From a limited time in Japan (and to dovetail with a point I made in the 'Zipang' thread), I think it's less of thinking the war had 'noble causes' and more of a complete cultural white-wash of the horrendous, organized, and wide-spread war crimes. A big portion of the Japanese like to somewhat 'calibrate' their WWII past along the same line of Germany's WWI war effort; a militaristic leadership leading the country into a pointless colonial war. But it's not the militaristic expansion, however misguided, that stains the Japanese war effort, it's the almost unbelievable savage conduct throughout that earns the shame. Like how the Holocaust puts the Nazi Germany war effort beyond the pale, similarly Japans large-scale crimes against humanity puts it to equal footing, it's just that many people, beyond the Japanese as well, tend to grossly underplay (or are unaware of) the level of atrocities. The revisionist current in Japanese history will cop to an ignoble war effort, but it completely avoids examination of it's brutal war conduct, and that's why I think a lot of these 'war focus' shows leave a (potentially) bad taste in one's mouth.

Quote:
'm very fond of Leiji Matsumoto, but I was revolted by "Slipstream"'s putting the words in the mouth of a German scientist that whomever uses the atomic bomb "will be remembered as the worst mass murderers in history." Was it supposed to be, um, ironic? It wasn't even remotely factual.

'But you dropped the Atomic Bomb!!!' is indeed the great moralizer often used in these efforts, but your right in saying, how ever awful bombing cities was/is, the death tolls were on par with other wide-scale city bombings. The only real difference (outside of radiation concerns) was the damage was done be a single bomb, rather then a fleet of bombers. GATSU alludes to the specter of firebombing, and in many cases that produced casualties to a higher degree then either of the two atomic bomb drops.
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:05 pm Reply with quote
For those who have not seen Cockpit I highly recommend it.

The tales are simply of people caught up in circumstances beyond their control and trying to bravely to make difficult decisions and act on them. No great heroes just people in extraordinary circumstances.
d.yaro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I believe I stumbled across the original print copy of "Onsoku Raigekitai"(sic) in an old manga that was sitting around at the barber's shop I went to in the 1970s...maybe later. I suppose that has contributed to why I enjoyed that segment the most. A friend of mine bought the laser discs and a Japanese magazine special that included decals for the German fighter in the first episode. The impression I got from the Japanese publications I followed in those days: Newtype, Hobby Japan, Model Graphix and Model Art, was that this show was aimed squarely at the military otaku crowd.

Oh yeah. A point on the weapon Nogami pilots in the second episode. The Ohka (Allied codename "Baka" - yes, the Yanks knew enough Japanese to give it that name) was meant to be used to strike Allied warships. I believe the number of Allied ships hit by the weapon is either zero or one. The tactic of colliding purposely in mid-air with an enemy aircraft was employed infrequently by Japanese pilots throughout the Pacific war. But no aircraft was build specifically to carry out such attacks.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I recently read that "kamikaze" pilots were not intructed to destroy the enemy by committing suicide but to successfully hit their targets by any means necessary and then come back, though in reality, they were not expected to return.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I still remember seeing this on fansub at a convention over 10 years ago. No matter what you may think of fan translations, I think their sub did a better job of capturing what "slipstream" was all about. The sub that I think I will always remember was instead:
"The country that uses this weapon will go down in history as the country that sold its soul to the devil."
I found it "humorous" (for lack of a better word) at the time because it was clear that this work was made by a country that was scarred by the use of atomic weapons against it. I think this was a better translation also because at no point did I look at that as "honoring" the Germans, I looked at it more as damning (without doing so explicitly) the actions of America. Whether or not I AGREE with the sentiment is irrelevant, the whole set is seen through the lens of the Japanese side. I respect the work in the cockpit because as much as "Slipstream" chastises America for a decision that was brutal (but possibly "correct"), I feel "Iron Dragon" is an equalizer with a more sanguine "this is what happens" kind of view. But maybe that was just me.

As for Matsumoto, I think the failure of his work to catch hold is three fold. One, his designs are distinctive, love them or hate them you're likely not going to be in a "middle ground". Two, the biggest problem, most of his works are OLD and very few old works manage to catch the new generation. Finally, I think Matsumoto works are the "old school" Evangelion. They're works that really old school fans seem DETERMINED to push down your throat and convince you that it's great even if you don't like it. It doesn't help that some of his work IS thick and hard to digest. Heck, to this day I still dunno why Viz was so hell-bent on running Galaxy Express in Animerica. Also like Eva, Matsumoto's works are often considered to have "deeper meaning". This isn't bad, but while Eva is more visceral and philosophical, I think Matsumoto is more cerebral. Like Eva, people who don't like Matsumoto are often dismissed as "you don't understand", and while that may or may not be true, there are more people that watched "Jerry Springer" than watched "Nova". (I'm not saying that's a GOOD thing mind you)

I wasn't a Matsumoto fan, but some of his stuff was pretty good and The Cockpit is definitely worth a look if you can find it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:07 pm Reply with quote
No, I can stand Matsumoto fans more than Eva fans, simply because they know his stuff doesn't entirely hold up well in a modern context. Plus they don't try to act like there's some cryptic subtext I missed when I don't like a particular anime from him. Eva fans piss me off, because they act like nothing existed before it, and that Anno can do no wrong.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
It's an interesting idea, that Germany nearly had a nuclear weapon ready to strike,

From what I hear, it's true.

It's apparently very debatable, and fairly unlikely, actually.

Carl Horn wrote:
Perhaps so, and no doubt Werner Von Braun often thought so too, but many people don't know his V-2 rockets were also built by concentration camp labor; in fact more people died building them than were killed by the rocket attacks themselves. America used the research of Nazi rocket scientists (and Japanese bioweapons scientists) after the war; you can call that reparations if you like, but at the very least it's highly morally questionable.

See The Nazi Rocketeers: Dreams of Space and Crimes of War by Dennis Piszkiewicz for an account of this. IIRC the Dora sub-camp (which was responsible for building the V-2s) had a mortality rate of over 100 prisoners per day due to the cold, damp, and other poor conditions.

Carl Horn wrote:
It took us longer to beat Japan than Germany, and in the end atomic bombs were necessary to allow surrender to become politically acceptable among the Japanese high command--that terrible weapon became a measure of Japan's terrible will.

It took longer in part because defeating Germany was the priority—Japan was only second on the list. As for Japan's surrender, I highly recommend Downfall: The End of the Imperial Japanese Empire by Richard B. Frank. It is an excellent overview of the events leading up to Japan's decision to stop the war.

d.yaro wrote:
Oh yeah. A point on the weapon Nogami pilots in the second episode. The Ohka (Allied codename "Baka" - yes, the Yanks knew enough Japanese to give it that name) was meant to be used to strike Allied warships. I believe the number of Allied ships hit by the weapon is either zero or one.

According to Wikipedia, their record was slightly better than that—but not by too much. I count six ships damaged.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
DuelLadyS wrote:
I've had this title sitting in my Amazon wish list for well over a year now... never once have I seen a copy become available.

This is sad. Never have I read a review of a Buried Treasure that I hadn't seen and wanted to more than this one yet.
If there ever becomes a way to see this, I certainly want to know about it, I would love to see this.

Just for fun, I went and checked on it... still no VHS, but there's one seller on Ebay with 3 Japan-release Laserdiscs of it (I'm guessing 1 segment per disc.) So, I guess if your setup allows for import laserdiscs... (I know, not much help, am I?)
Curtis W.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:00 am Reply with quote
Carl Horn wrote:
I'm very fond of Leiji Matsumoto, but I was revolted by "Slipstream"'s putting the words in the mouth of a German scientist that whomever uses the atomic bomb "will be remembered as the worst mass murderers in history." Was it supposed to be, um, ironic? It wasn't even remotely factual. At that point in the war, Germany had already killed several times more civilians than Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined. If I'm not mistaken, the Auschwitz-Birkenau camp alone murdered several times more people than the two atomic bombs.

You didn't have to be a Nazi or an SS member to be complicit in this. Besides outright extermination, a major purpose of the concentration camp system was forced labor to build munitions for the German war effort. I remember a scene in Arcadia of my Youth where Phantom F. Harlock II and Tochiro witness a failed German missile launch, and there's a sense of regret that they're involved in a war, when they should be shooting for the stars. Perhaps so, and no doubt Werner Von Braun often thought so too, but many people don't know his V-2 rockets were also built by concentration camp labor; in fact more people died building them than were killed by the rocket attacks themselves. America used the research of Nazi rocket scientists (and Japanese bioweapons scientists) after the war; you can call that reparations if you like, but at the very least it's highly morally questionable.

I've felt that some (certainly not all--remember, it's the revisionists who tend to make the news) Japanese have a misplaced view of the war; shame that they lost it, but the idea that it was a noble cause. I feel it should be the other way around--it was an ignoble cause, but they shouldn't feel ashamed at having lost--it's not like they were cowards or didn't put up a fight. It took us longer to beat Japan than Germany, and in the end atomic bombs were necessary to allow surrender to become politically acceptable among the Japanese high command--that terrible weapon became a measure of Japan's terrible will. To paraphrase Ol' Dirty Bastard, I love my Matsumoto, but Matsumoto please.

Look at that in a different light. Thanks to a few ambitious scientists trespassing on domains they had no knowledge of gave birth a lot of the problems/fears we see today with the Middle East...with regards to who has nuclear capabilities. This is not a new problem either, it goes back to the cold war and the problems faced in China, Afghanistan, and Vietnam. hell even Korea has a rather shady nuclear program. I think that is what he was trying to say.

Also, Adolf Hitler was no where near as bad as Joseph Stalin. It is estimated that during his reign in Soviet Russia, twenty to thirty million people will executed, raped, beaten, starved and tortured by him and his regime. Sorry, one of my degrees is in history...
Curtis W.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:03 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
It's an interesting idea, that Germany nearly had a nuclear weapon ready to strike,

From what I hear, it's true.

It's apparently very debatable, and fairly unlikely, actually.

Carl Horn wrote:
Perhaps so, and no doubt Werner Von Braun often thought so too, but many people don't know his V-2 rockets were also built by concentration camp labor; in fact more people died building them than were killed by the rocket attacks themselves. America used the research of Nazi rocket scientists (and Japanese bioweapons scientists) after the war; you can call that reparations if you like, but at the very least it's highly morally questionable.

See The Nazi Rocketeers: Dreams of Space and Crimes of War by Dennis Piszkiewicz for an account of this. IIRC the Dora sub-camp (which was responsible for building the V-2s) had a mortality rate of over 100 prisoners per day due to the cold, damp, and other poor conditions.

Carl Horn wrote:
It took us longer to beat Japan than Germany, and in the end atomic bombs were necessary to allow surrender to become politically acceptable among the Japanese high command--that terrible weapon became a measure of Japan's terrible will.

It took longer in part because defeating Germany was the priority—Japan was only second on the list. As for Japan's surrender, I highly recommend Downfall: The End of the Imperial Japanese Empire by Richard B. Frank. It is an excellent overview of the events leading up to Japan's decision to stop the war.

d.yaro wrote:
Oh yeah. A point on the weapon Nogami pilots in the second episode. The Ohka (Allied codename "Baka" - yes, the Yanks knew enough Japanese to give it that name) was meant to be used to strike Allied warships. I believe the number of Allied ships hit by the weapon is either zero or one.

According to Wikipedia, their record was slightly better than that—but not by too much. I count six ships damaged.

Germany was 9 months away from having a crude Atomic Device. It was similar to a dirty Bomb. Please for the love of what ever god you believe in don't link to Wikipedia for Scholarly information.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:25 am Reply with quote
Curtis:
Quote:
Look at that in a different light. Thanks to a few ambitious scientists trespassing on domains they had no knowledge of gave birth a lot of the problems/fears we see today with the Middle East...with regards to who has nuclear capabilities. This is not a new problem either, it goes back to the cold war and the problems faced in China, Afghanistan, and Vietnam. hell even Korea has a rather shady nuclear program. I think that is what he was trying to say.

Well, yeah, you could argue that, but it's clearly what's not being argued in the anime.

Quote:
Also, Adolf Hitler was no where near as bad as Joseph Stalin. It is estimated that during his reign in Soviet Russia, twenty to thirty million people will executed, raped, beaten, starved and tortured by him and his regime.

But what Stalin was doing wasn't against a particular minority, and was thus "normal" for its time. Also, if you add homosexuals, gypsies, the disabled and mentally-retarded and the war to the Jews, Hitler did quite a bit of damage-enough to easily trump the Russian commies.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:39 am Reply with quote
Wow, I'd really like to see this. I'm always interested in watching Matsumoto work, which I don't feel gets the right representation in R1, though, as mentioned, that's because of distinctive style and the age of all the better pieces. I guess in a perfect world there would even be a proper bilingual release of Space Battleship Yamato, but at least Voyager's movie boxset is okay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:48 am Reply with quote
Back in 2001, Kiseki films licensed and released (as that rarest of rare releases, a non-bootleg Region 0 release) a double-feature DVD with Cockpit and the decidedly mediocre Digital Devil.

It tanked miserably, it would seem, but I benefitted, because one of them showed up remaindered in a local DVD store, at the very nice price of DKK 25 (= about USD 5). Where I, of course, snapped it up the moment I came across it.

I'm not a great fan of Matsumoto (nor am I an anti-fan), but Cockpit is a showcase of him at his best, and I enjoyed it very much.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4