• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Death Note GN 12

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:58 am Reply with quote
The principle behind what he was doing was sound. Its really not any different from any system of Justice. However like all Justice systems, it lacked the ability to execute it correctly. The ability to punish people and get away with it easilly, is relatively minor. Wether it is provided by magic like here or by govenment power is unimportant. An absolute knowlege of what crimes people had commited is much more important. Again, the lack of this makes both his and all systems of Justice somewhat flawed. However a system like ours is much less flawed than his because we have a much better ability to determine who is guilty than him. Also his ability to punish is weaker than that of the Justice system, since his is all or nothing which causes problems in the case of minor crimes.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
By your logic, we would never have full-length reviews of most titles because they all get covered by one person in the review columns.

Aww. . . come on. Just look at the manga and anime release schedules. I know that many companies have had to downsize, but still. . . there's enough goodness to go around.

Quote:
I want a diversity of opinion here, not one person's judgement on everything. So we have a large reviews team.

And as if to prove your point, we have two reviews on The Third today - LOL. Most of the other publications that I read The New Yorker, Anime Insider, etc. have different writers, but don't review the same book/film/etc. more than once, unless it's something really controversial or the story has been released in a different format. That said, I respect your decision to have more than one opinion on a title. I really enjoy this site and it's obvious that a lot of other people do to, so you must know what you're doing.

I'm extending the olive branch out. I hope your week is filled with lots of fluffy and cute animals.

Last edited by here-and-faraway on Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
brichibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:38 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I disagree, however, that Near and Mello are appendages of L. That's largely a fan reaction to spoiler[the death of their beloved L[/spoilers].

I actually like Near and Mello as characters. I think that they had a lot of potential. What I meant in the review is that lots of people (including Light in the manga) pretty much brush them off as parts of L, and the manga itself treats them as such. It got irritating when Light just chalked Near and Mello as "fighting L all over again." I mean if he wants to do that that's fine, but the Light in the beginning would still be super cautious and worried about his opponent no matter who it was. I mean, seriously, what happened to the Light who put a mini-tv in a bag of potato chips? What happened to all that intelligence?

penguintruth wrote:
[spoilers]I think a lot of people who dismissed the second arc entirely were simply heartbroken over L But I feel it was fitting that Light should be taken down not by L, but by phantoms who were L's sucessors that would knock Light off of his tower, a place he had worked so hard to climb to, because he didn't take them seriously enough.]

I was upset about spoiler[the death of L, but you know, someone had to lose.
]
. I thought the second half had a lot going for it, but it also lost a lot of good things too. But I agree with you, spoiler[it was fitting that Light was taken down by L's successors, it makes it seem like L was already prepared even after he died].

penguintruth wrote:
I only wish the epilogue had been in the anime series.

Yes yes, me too.
brichibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:48 am Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:
ANBUx3 wrote:
Super Ska Master wrote:
Art graded a B? What the hell? Death Note has the best art I've ever seen in a manga series. ESPECIALLY in the last volume. The final scenes of the ending are breathtaking. This review lost all it's credability with that score IMO.

I agree. It has a level of detail that very few works have.

I also concur an the art being given B which it rightfully doesn't deserve. I was very impressed at the detail of the art, especially for a series that was serialized weekly and Takeshi Obata deserves some major props for this effort. IMHO the art quality of Death Note is up there with some of the monthly seinen series.

I didn't mean to make anyone think that I didn't like the art. I really like the art in Death Note. At the same time it's really hard to grade something like art or writing. As one of my professors said (and now it's time for me to sound like a nerd), "I hate grading your stories because it's hard to grade creativity." She also said when grading our work that she didn't want to give A's out, because when you do that you think that it's perfect and there's nothing to be fixed or no room for improvement.

So... I gave it a B. But I think the art is awesome. I also think that in this huge world of anime and manga that I've seen breathtaking art (Gankutsuou, for example) that makes it hard to give everything I go, "Oh pretty," on an A.

It's hard to make everyone happy with the grades. If I give it an A someone would find a reason why it needs a lower grade, or even an A- would get picky people. I only went with a B because I felt that the art was good but, you know, being into anime for about 14 years has made me see series do better (but Death Note did great, honest!)
W-General

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:02 am Reply with quote
The manga was interesting at first, but the ending did it for me - it's just not what i was looking for. I generally agree with Light that the current justice system just isn't working - we need to have something that can just go out, and bring justice to a criminal who is on run and cannot be caught. If the justice system is working, then why are there still so many out there on the run, why are there still so many people out there suffering?

To me, I think Light's downfall is still the fact that he tried to bring too much attention to himself - he tried to shape himself as a god. That's bringing too much attention such a powerful tool as the Death Note. I understand that power can bring corruption to a person, but I think he was determined to become a god the moment he got his hands on the notebook. Maybe you can say from there that he was a less an ideal choice for the notebook.

If I get my hands on the Death Note, I'd certainly be doing what Light did - making the world a better place by bringing justice to the guilty - like writing some of those terrorists' names down who are still on the run. This is why Death Note, while being a very good series, was never among my favorites.

Just 2 cents from an anime fan's who's disgruntled with the state of the world.
groggy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:48 am Reply with quote
Light had good intentions (at least in the beginning) but that doesn't make what he did right. However, I can, at the very least, have some sympathy for him; it's hard to imagine what the temptation to use that book might be like. Your first instinct would be to destroy it (at least mine would be), but you might keep it around 'just in case'...and who knows what could happen?

Those people who have written in support of Light are those who take the saying "The end justifies the means" to heart. The mentality of "The result is the only thing that matters - I don't care how you get it".

While I'm not religious (although I was raised Catholic), one of the overriding themes of the story seems to be that no one person, no matter how intelligent or perceptive, is ment to have that level of godlike power. As bad as Light became, there are people who could have inflicted even worse turmoil upon the world (a point the manga itself makes with the Teru Mikami character). The only possible way the Death Note could work in humanity's favor is if it were integrated into the police or military and used in a manner that would be decided by 100% objective, incorruptible governing body. This is, of course (Surprise!! Surprise!!) completely impossible. Twisted Evil

W-General wrote:
The manga was interesting at first, but the ending did it for me - it's just not what i was looking for. I generally agree with Light that the current justice system just isn't working - we need to have something that can just go out, and bring justice to a criminal who is on run and cannot be caught. If the justice system is working, then why are there still so many out there on the run, why are there still so many people out there suffering?

To me, I think Light's downfall is still the fact that he tried to bring too much attention to himself - he tried to shape himself as a god. That's bringing too much attention such a powerful tool as the Death Note. I understand that power can bring corruption to a person, but I think he was determined to become a god the moment he got his hands on the notebook. Maybe you can say from there that he was a less an ideal choice for the notebook.

I see this more as an inevitable fact of life than anything else. Evil deeds can't be eradicated without the total removal of free will, and at that point life wouldn't be worth living anyway. It's not that the justice system isn't working - it's flawed of course, but if it truly wasn't working, things would be a hell of a lot worse than they are. Putting power in the hands of one fallible, selfish, egotistical
person with his own agenda won't change that. And, as GATSU pointed out earlier, we have no idea if crime itself was reduced, or was it just forced deeper underground, out of the limited public gaze that Light has. Corruption will always exist; it will simply adapt to the environment.

As for the second paragraph, there is NO ONE who would be a good choice to have the Death Note. This is probably why Ryuk brought it to Earth in the first place: he was bored, and he (being A GOD OF DEATH and all) wanted to see some chaos and destruction. Light's extreme intelligence and boundless ego just gave him a longer run than most other people would have had. Although it would have been more daring if the book spoiler[had allowed him to succeed, I really enjoyed how scared and pathetic the ending made Light look, and how much pleasure Ryuk took in doing the job he was destined to do.
]

Just by the level of discussion on this board you can tell why the series has struck a nerve - people are having diverging responses to the exact same material and debating each other about it. That is what art is supposed to do (not that Death Note is on the level of fine art...although I liked it just fine anyway Smile)
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:28 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
britannica:
Quote:

is it not true that a large group of offenders repeat the same offense when freed?

No, but facts are usually fudged to make it look that way.

I disagree. It happens a lot more than people like to admit but it does. I don't know if its shame in seeing the justice system fail or that fact at seeing some people are just messed up in the brain and no amount of counciling or taking away their freedom is going to change them.

GATSU wrote:
britannica:
Quote:
how many times does the same individual have to touch someone inappropriately or harm people before they're deemed unfit for soceity?

Even if they're "unfit", that doesn't automatically mean they deserve to die.

I think if you can do that to a child on several occasions and not feel guilty when you do it again then....

GATSU wrote:
britannica:
Quote:
I think spoiler[ if light had got a bit more time] everything would have settled down and the world would have gotten even better.

Or it could have just turned into another Spanish Inquisition...

But what would non-criminals have been put on trail for?

GATSU wrote:
britannica:
Quote:
But I still think light's overall reasoning and goals were correct.

His reasoning is that he has to kill anyone he can to insure "peace", even if it means people who want the same thing, but who don't believe in his methods.

If you weren't commiting any crimes you had nothing to worry about. It's like people who say they hate the cops- why? If you're not doing anything wrong then why hate the people who protect you?

GATSU wrote:
britannica:
Quote:
it's also questionable as to if Bush believes he's right.

Anyone who claims Jesus wanted this war clearly believes he's in the right.

Or he just said what he thought people needed to hear in order for them to listen and believe without questioning.

GATSU wrote:
britannica:
Quote:
I think he knows he's wrong- but he's fucked up so badly he can't admit it.

I wish that were the case, but everything he's done to keep the war going says otherwise.

i think he's just trying to cover his butt. He may be an idiot but he knows when he needs to act. And wiggle his eyebrows.

GATSU wrote:
britannica:
Quote:
I think that a good majority of the world would be happy to live 99% crime free.

A majority of the world would be happy to not have to worry about starvation or global warming and other more pressing issues. We're the only country paranoid about crime.

I think if they could save a few billion dollars they could work on starvation in not only our country but others. That money going to "fight the war on terror?" could be used to feed hungry kids in Africa.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Some sides of people are coming out in this thread that I never expected to see. Here's how I felt about the series and the ending. I was a guy who liked Light and the fact that he had one of the best game of tag matches I have ever seen with L. But when it got to the second arc of the series, things did go a bit downhill from there, because I did not like Near, and couldn't say much for Mello either. I mean, come on, Light spoiler[was outsmarted by guys who were what, at least five years younger than him. What the hell is up with that? Rolling Eyes So Light in the end was revealed for what he truly was, a guy obsessed with ruling the world, and creating a so called Utopia that would abide by his rules. After Light's death, people questioned whether having Kira gone was such a good thing, because crime in the world increased yet again. And in the final scene of the series, that girl was NOT Misa. She committed suicide after hearing of Light's death. ]
Jing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote
To clear things up.

No it is not Misa on the last page, she committed suicide after Light died.

L's real name Al Lawlier.

All this stuff is in Deathnote Volume 13. I don't think it will release here.

Hope this cleared everything up
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Jing. wrote:
All this stuff is in Deathnote Volume 13. I don't think it will release here.

Yes it will.

February
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
groggy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote
[quote="britannicamoore"][quote="GATSU"]britannica:
Quote:

GATSU wrote:
britannica:
Quote:
I think spoiler[ if light had got a bit more time] everything would have settled down and the world would have gotten even better.

Or it could have just turned into another Spanish Inquisition...

But what would non-criminals have been put on trail for?

GATSU wrote:
britannica:
Quote:
But I still think light's overall reasoning and goals were correct.

His reasoning is that he has to kill anyone he can to insure "peace", even if it means people who want the same thing, but who don't believe in his methods.

If you weren't commiting any crimes you had nothing to worry about. It's like people who say they hate the cops- why? If you're not doing anything wrong then why hate the people who protect you?

Near the end of Vol. 10, when Teru Mikami is relaying his words of Kira to the world thru Light's ex-girlfriend/reporter, he gives a message about Kira not only killing criminals, but also people who don't properly contribute to society. What is Light's mental response? That this is a good idea, but that it is too soon to enact it (I lent the volume to a friend, and I don't have it to directly quote from, so pardon me if I'm making a mistake here). In other words, once Light had enough control of the world, he'd be fine with killing those that he thought were merely not using their talents properly, and it could have gone farther...
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quote
W-General:
Quote:
If the justice system is working, then why are there still so many out there on the run, why are there still so many people out there suffering?

There will always be crime, but that doesn't mean we should be taking things into our own hands.

Quote:
If I get my hands on the Death Note, I'd certainly be doing what Light did - making the world a better place by bringing justice to the guilty - like writing some of those terrorists' names down who are still on the run.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter...

britannica:
Quote:

I disagree. It happens a lot more than people like to admit but it does.

No, you're just brainwashed into believing that that's the case.

Quote:
or that fact at seeing some people are just messed up in the brain and no amount of counciling or taking away their freedom is going to change them.

If they're messed up, then it's not really their fault.

Quote:

I think if you can do that to a child on several occasions and not feel guilty when you do it again then....

There are some people who just don't understand what they're doing. That has nothing to do with how they feel; it's just their perception of reality.

Quote:

Sometimes, people are falsely arrested and convicted of crimes.

Quote:

Or he just said what he thought people needed to hear in order for them to listen and believe without questioning.

If he just said what was convenient, he wouldn't be using the guy to bail him out of his drinking and cocaine problems.

Quote:

i think he's just trying to cover his butt. He may be an idiot but he knows when he needs to act. And wiggle his eyebrows.

He's clearly not smart enough to cover his butt.

fighter: Near and Mello are supposed to be prodigies, which is why L chose them to succeed him.
population_tire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I don;t really think not revealing what happened to Misa deserves a negative rating, but I agree with everything else. My only real problem with Death Note is they never showed the Shinigami King.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:06 pm Reply with quote
groggy i'll check that out when I get back my volumes back.

GATSU wrote:
britannica:
Quote:

I disagree. It happens a lot more than people like to admit but it does.

No, you're just brainwashed into believing that that's the case.

RO
An example
Repeat
a small % of criminals are responsible for 70% of all crimes

More?

GATSU wrote:
britannica:
Quote:

There are some people who just don't understand what they're doing. That has nothing to do with how they feel; it's just their perception of reality.

I highly doubt that. Besides the law doesn't care if you know about it or not- and if you break it your still pay the time. Time doesn't seem to help everyone. As with the examples I stated above.

GATSU wrote:
britannica:
Quote:

Sometimes, people are falsely arrested and convicted of crimes.

Can't argue there are the Justice System sucks.

To the last two parts:
Just think of all the things you and I don't know about. Jesus is always a matter of convenience for some. Wheter you're giving speeches about the world, need a favor, or just need someone to talk to for a view minutes. Another sad but true fact.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
RO
An example
Repeat
a small % of criminals are responsible for 70% of all crimes

The fact that most of these statistics are presented by interest groups and not actual law enforcement only reinforces my comments.

Quote:

I highly doubt that. Besides the law doesn't care if you know about it or not-

It does in some cases. Plus there's the issue of whether they're sane enough to stand trial...Or do you think children who kill should also be tried as adults?

Quote:
Jesus is always a matter of convenience for some. Wheter you're giving speeches about the world, need a favor, or just need someone to talk to for a view minutes.

True, but anyone who believes he was "chosen" to invade Iraq clearly believes in a higher power.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4