• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Where Are They Now?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:01 am Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:
The old lady behind the counter ended up screaming at me to get out of her library with my, quote, "Chinese Devil Bibles," which remains to this day the best term I have ever heard for manga.

Love the phrase. Would make a great workshop title.

Seriously you should have reported her and asked to speak to a librarian. The counter staff are almost always paraprofessionals who handle the clerical side of library work.

Gilles - a librarian.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
Not that I would be surprised, of course. Grocery stores throw out all leftovers at the end of the day because legally they can't give them to homeless shelters and places like that.
Awesome.

It all varies, actually. My mom used to do inventory control at a grocery store that was visited daily by the food bank to pick up all the 1-2 day old bakery goods that hadn't sold. the craft store I work at throws out merchandise that's gone out of the system, but I know other stores in the chain cart if off to schools and thrift stores. It all depends on local laws, charity afflifiation, and the likelyhood of someone trying to take advantage of the situation to de-fraud the donating company. (by getting stuff from the thrift store and trying to return it to the original company for full cost, for example.)

As much as I'd like to see libraries be a home for rare titles to get maximum exposure, I can't help but remember then time I wanted to get a rare DVD and all 6 library copies were 'reported returned'... which I learned was library code for 'missing and presumed stolen'. I'd be too afraid that if a series I donated did make it into the collection, it'd just get grabbed by some truly evil ebay flipper and never come back. I think I'd have to try and find a good anime/manga club to donate to... I'd be more comfortable with such a group making titles available, while keeping a cap on books walking away. That's just me.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Although I hate to be one of those picky fanboys, I'm gonna be. I'm wondering if it was Angel Dust that Pachy_Boy is referring to or if it was Angel/Dust Neo. I was just holding my copy and noticed it was released by ADV Manga *sigh* and at the time I wondered if there would be another volume. It does, however, refer to Angel Dust from the pages of NewType. After a time I realized there wouldn't another volume. But I agree with the dude, it really was a good book.

I second the motion. I have both Dust books and they're great reads. Speaking of angel manga, does anyone know what happened with Nephylym? Volume 3 has been on hiatus for ages.

If I had to add an obscure OAV that did everything right for me, well you know what I'm going to say: Dragon Century. As for manga, I'd have to put Dragon Wars the Tale of Lufiak Duell as well Beyond the Beyond (which we will never get to see finished anyway).

Last edited by belvadeer on Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Midwestern Tanuki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:37 pm Reply with quote
My first job years ago, was working as a page/book shelfer at a near by local library. While donations of brand new or like new books had better chance of ending up on the shelfs. Most used book/dvd/vhs/etc. donations we recieved would end up either used for a yearly used book sale to raise funds or in the personal collections of the workers. And what didn't sell would end up being sent either to Goodwill/ Thrift shops or passed on to the next nearby library for thier used book sales and what not.
Don't get this wrong, we always gave the people who would drop off/ donate books a slip to use for taxes.

So if you are one thinking of donating say manga or anime, see if there is a nearby high school Anime club that may be trying to build a club manga/anime library.

Which leads to my question of how likely would a publisher/distrubitor be to answering a donation request from a high school Anime club? Since the club that I am a faculty advisor for is in the process of starting it's own manga library for use by the members.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Funimation actually has a way for anime clubs to request screener DVDs (the website is down now but here's the link) and I think Nozomi has something similar, keep meaning to fill out that form for my club actually...
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Hotel was a very interesting read. I love that group, they like to do those really rare and disturbing one shots and series that no one else would do. Especially Inio Asano's work, Solanin and Oyasumi Punpun. Realistic and extremely bittersweet. Wasn't thinking of manga when answering.

Also Miyazaki had a bunch of 1 shots and shorts from his pre movie days. On Your Mark was one that comes to mind. Essentially a music video but by Miyazaki/Ghibli. Very old early work. Good times there.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:44 am Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:

Also Miyazaki had a bunch of 1 shots and shorts from his pre movie days. On Your Mark was one that comes to mind. Essentially a music video but by Miyazaki/Ghibli. Very old early work. Good times there.

Not that old/early. It was 1995. Smile
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:44 am Reply with quote
Well, after reading what usually happens to most donations to libraries, I feel better about my decision to have myself embalmed in my molten DVDs and have my manga and figures entombed with me. Laughing
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:32 am Reply with quote
If you want to share manga with others so badly, why not start your own library like MangaKissa did? Smile
Midwestern Tanuki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:06 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Funimation actually has a way for anime clubs to request screener DVDs (the website is down now but here's the link) and I think Nozomi has something similar, keep meaning to fill out that form for my club actually...

Thanks, my club has been using Funi's Operation Anime program off and on for the past couple of years and that's gone well. Plus, I too have been meaning to look Nozomi over again.

After looking over different sites, so far it looks like Viz is the only publisher that does anything close to manga donations for clubs.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote
My library system allegedly takes donations, but there are big, ominous signs everywhere about how people shouldn't just presume to donate anything without getting permission first. In fact, the outdoor book-drop says that any unapproved donations left there will be thrown away immediately (which seems like a weird thing to do for a library system protesting budget cuts, but whatever, it's only my tax money and stuff). I don't know if they solicit donations from publishers, though.

I have had VERY good luck making purchase requests, however. All I do is log into my online account, fill out a form, and wait for the books to arrive. I'd say 2/3 of my requests are granted, although one of the ones that was not granted was for Goong. They bought a collection of Miyazaki-sensei's essays, though.
Tank252ca

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I have a little note to add about Megazone 23.

Haruhiko Mikimoto only did the character design for Eve. The rest of Megazone 23's characters were actually designed by Toshihiro Hirano of Iczer-One and Dangaio fame.

Ah, Iczer-One, that brings back memories. I still have a copy on VHS stashed away somewhere.

One of my favorite one offs, though, has to be Jaja-Uma Quartet, released as Wild Cardz in the US. I added this to an order an a whim and it was a real treat. Funny, fast paced and plenty of crazy action for a 1997 OAV. I have the US Manga tape, but it was released on DVD as well. The killer is that it consists of two half hour episodes with a cliff hanger ending, and there was never a sequel. Anime cry

Even better was Idol Project which pokes a lot of fun at the idol and beauty pageant genre. Not that well known, but if you are familiar with older anime titles and their stereotypes this can be a lot of fun to watch.
LibraryJoy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I'll throw in my 2 cents on the library issue - because at my library I'm the professional librarian in charge of the manga collection (it's actually why I started reading manga myself, and now I'm an avid reader/collector)! Each local library is different in terms of budget, space, collection policy and donation policy. At our small library we have over 1000 vol. of manga, and I have no more space for more. I have to get rid of series that are not circulating in order to continue adding One Piece volumes or to purchase new series that everyone hasn't already read. This includes some of my favorite series and some that are out of print. In fact, earlier this month someone checked out and lost the first 8 vol. of Chibi Vampire - and I'm pretty sure I can't buy replacement volumes from my book vendor. Most of our manga is purchased, not donated, although I will accept some donations - but only of complete series or only of ones I can find good reviews of and decided I want to spend the money on purchasing from my budget. Most of our unwanted donations go into prizes for the Teen Summer Reading Program or the used book sale. As for the weeded books, I checked with our school library, and they don't have nearly the budget I do, so when I have no more room for the books, I give them to the High School. At least that way our community still has access to those titles.

If you want to donate manga to your library, first find out who is responsible for adding to that collection, and then talk directly and only to that person. Find out what they look for in donations they want to add. Not every librarian is an expert in manga, but they are experts in what will check out in their community. It's what we do. I actually took a whole class on Collection Development for my Master's Degree in Library Science. And visit your library often and check out the manga - if the librarians can prove people are reading it, they'll be willing to give more money and shelf space to that collection.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
LibraryJoy wrote:
And visit your library often and check out the manga - if the librarians can prove people are reading it, they'll be willing to give more money and shelf space to that collection.

The manga are in the separate YA room. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3