• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L0ken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Perfection, as expected from 100gf! Bibury just doing amazing job with the series
elior1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:31 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
This was one of the best pool episodes of all time and one of the best episodes of a Harem romcom of all time.

All the girls got moments, deepened their relationship with each other, got moments with Rentaro, got actual character development, Rentaro got to really shine as the perfect boyfriend, and we got plenty of great swimsuit fanservice.

And it only gets better from here!
yes what coming next week is going to be insane. in fact i say this was the last normal episode
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:25 am Reply with quote
What this series does is make me laugh THROUGHOUT and the pool episode was a shining example. Every girl had a LMAO moment and to point them out would be diminishing each; they were all A+. BTW, the girls have the best eyes in anime....
L0ken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:36 am Reply with quote
I absolutely love Kusuri, this cute little ball enthusiasm and memefaces that also transforms into smoking hot lady, her intro really opened the door for many insanity and creative things that could happen, this episode really gave us a tease of what's to come. Anime adaptation went hard and enchanced so many scenes, especially transforming small blurb with Hakari into hilariously animated monster of horniness. Next week is Kiss Zombies arc, looking forward to some particularly bits.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:21 pm Reply with quote
There's one thing that irks me about this segment, and did even when I read the manga…

Drugs McDrugs wrote:
Male libido makes boys want to get physical, bump uglies. But female libido seeks intimacy, emotional pleasure— that is kissing!

I'm no expert on sexuality, but gender essentialism like this really doesn't seem to fit with Hyakkano's brand of wholesomely (?) open-minded chaos. There's only one other point that comes to mind when the show's drifted in that direction -- the bit in the premiere where the God of Love said women Just Know when they get the soulmate shock, and guys take a while longer to figure it out. (Which isn't even really necessary, given how receptive Rentaro always proves to be when it happens.)

There's certainly other great details I like, though -- one that wasn't mentioned in the review was the brief Kana Arima-esque flashback Kusuri had when she thought "Gone and done it again… Keep messing up!", with people walking away from her. Because of course she's the same as Shizuka underneath it all. This harem is a haven for the weirdos who couldn't find love anywhere else.

One thing, though…

lossthief wrote:
She's got a bizarre speech tic, a prehensile ahoge, has canonically made meth, wears (and uses) diapers to avoid wasting time on bathroom breaks, and accidentally gave herself the Detective Conan treatment while trying to make an immortality drug.

I'm confused about this bit. You posted this dialogue from the manga on Twitter last year:

"Meth is a good example, aye?"
"You know what meth is like?!"
"Is an interesting chemical. Had to experiment."
"Not even once!!!!"

And the anime subtitles mostly say the same (modulo censoring), but Kusuri's second line is changed to "Honestly interesting chemical. Want to try." So while I don't know who's translating this for CR, they're clearly drawing on M. Fulcrum and M F Mackenzie's work for the manga -- but this one bit is changed. Was the Japanese dialogue changed? Is it ambiguous? Is one translation just in error?

The manga's Japanese line is… uh, the kana's hard to read, but it looks like "正直、化学部として興味は…"; the anime's line sounds like it's almost identical. My Japanese still isn't great, but I guess I can see how it can be interpreted as either "am interested" or "was interested", though the animation suggests the former more. Rentaro's later line "大丈夫、シャブはまだだって言うから" ("It's fine. She says she hasn't tried meth yet.") also seems unchanged, and I don't quite understand "mada datte", but I think it's accurate.

…Though it just occurred to me that "she's made meth, but hasn't gotten the practical experience she was talking about" is also a possibility.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:24 pm Reply with quote
There is pre-Kusuri 100 Girlfriends and there is post-Kusuri 100 Girlfriends.

We are now post-Kusuri. And all the better for it.

Took me a second to realize she was voiced by Clara from Iruma-kun.
quentntarantado

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Yes, you're right. The lolli part is disturbing for me, I have one foot out the door.
Assuming it's this coeur or next coeur, spoiler[Hakari's mom is girlfriend six. I have bad feelings about that too. ]
I do wish that this polyamorous relationship will welcome the whole LGBTQ+ range. I suppose this is not the manga/anime for that. Will have to look elsewhere.
Ryuu14

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:00 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned (or noticed?) that all of the character's names are puns, based on their person.
"Aijou Rentarou" - Ai and Ren are spelt with different Kanji for "love", Aijou also means "feelings of love".
"Inda Karane" - The name sounds like one of the ways that Tsundere characters like to end their sentences with when they're being Tsundere ("It's not like I like you, or anything!" - "suki janainda kara ne").
"Hanazono Hakari" - Hanazono means "flower garden" (not sure what it's supposed to reference, maybe flower euphemisms for sexual stuff?) and Hakari means "scheming", probably referencing how she always tries to make plans to be naughty with Rentarou.
"Yoshimoto Shizuka" - Yoshimoto means something like "likes books", Shizuka means "silent".
"Eiai Nano" - that one's obvious.
"Yakuzen Kusuri" - Yakuzen means "medicinal meal" and Kusuri means "drugs" or "medicine"
spoiler for the next girlfriend spoiler[the next girlfriend's first name is "Hahari", Haha means "mother".]

I think it adds to the hilarity of this show.
Ryuu14

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:24 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
There's one thing that irks me about this segment, and did even when I read the manga…

Drugs McDrugs wrote:
Male libido makes boys want to get physical, bump uglies. But female libido seeks intimacy, emotional pleasure— that is kissing!

You really shouldn't take any of the pseudo-science from Kusuri seriously. It's about as scientifically accurate as getting convulsions from overdosing on love.
Gnarth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:52 am Reply with quote
Yeah, not sure I like this new direction just yet... I found the show funnier when it was a bit more "grounded" and the absurdity lied more in the setup and personalities rather than predominant fantasy dynamics. On the other hand, with a premise this insane, this is probably needed to avoid repetitiveness; I just would've liked the tone to transition more gradually, as this episode did feel a bit too much and actually reminded me of some hentai... dunno if that's a good thing.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:33 am Reply with quote
Gotta say Nick, really appreciating the images! Like they say, Show, don't Tell... but someone please tell me what that girl is doing to protag-kun... Shocked
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hakari and Karane's extended makeout session raises the possibility of perpendicular ships within the larger harem

Oh yes, we get a lot of that. At this point I feel almost every character in the harem is basically bisexual aligned. You mentioned it in the review but Nano and Shizuka's relationship is extremely cute and you can't help but ship them (but in a different way to how one can ship Hakari and Karane).
Sometimes it gets hard to figure out who to ship with who because there's multiple great ships within the harem... Though of course I ship everyone with Rentaro first and foremost.

Ryuu14 wrote:
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned (or noticed?) that all of the character's names are puns, based on their person.

I love how blatant some of the puns are. Within the anime characters Nano is most obvious but there's ones later that have as much pun subtlety as a brick to the face.

re: hanazono I think there's a term in Japanese where someone who daydreams a lot and is a bit spacey has a "flower garden" for a brain. I recall it being used in Shadows House and Spy Classroom.
freebird1994

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:39 pm Reply with quote
This harem series is becoming too powerful. We need to stop it before it transendes spacetime itself and renders all other harem series, both past and future, obsolete. Quickly, we might only have a matter of moments!!!

This was my favorite chapter to read and now it has become my favorite episode. We talk about things that are one way so much they loop around to being another(i.e. something so bad it loops around to being good) but what happens when someone just doesnt stop looping?
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:51 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
It creates a bizarre dichotomy where accidental, unwanted, or purely fetishized physicality through fanservice is the only kind of contact the characters are allowed outside of the occasional holding of hands.

Hence, of course, anime/manga fandom's done-to-death joke about handholding being lewd (and not just how Makima does it). Clannad After Story features the lead couple getting married and having a kid, but the most we see even after they're married is sleeping on adjacent futons while holding hands. Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible had the audacity to end with spoiler[the lead couple holding pinkies in the last panel, after the standard mutual confession earlier in the final chapter], that's how chaste it was.

(In the same magazine as Hyakkano, mind you. And Kaguya-sama, which has basically no fanservice but makes it clear that some of its high-school cast are sexually active and some have, uh, interesting kinks. Seinen manga has a lot of breadth.)
Bertrandou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:02 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Quote:
Hakari and Karane's extended makeout session raises the possibility of perpendicular ships within the larger harem

Oh yes, we get a lot of that. At this point I feel almost every character in the harem is basically bisexual aligned. You mentioned it in the review but Nano and Shizuka's relationship is extremely cute and you can't help but ship them (but in a different way to how one can ship Hakari and Karane).
Sometimes it gets hard to figure out who to ship with who because there's multiple great ships within the harem... Though of course I ship everyone with Rentaro first and foremost.

Ryuu14 wrote:

I love how blatant some of the puns are. Within the anime characters Nano is most obvious but there's ones later that have as much pun subtlety as a brick to the face.

re: hanazono I think there's a term in Japanese where someone who daydreams a lot and is a bit spacey has a "flower garden" for a brain. I recall it being used in Shadows House and Spy Classroom.

It's hanabatake, and translate to flowers field. It is used to refer to someone who is too optimistic or too easygoing and overtly pacifist, so much that people wonder if inside that person brain are filled with beautiful and serene mirage like field of flowers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6