• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Offers Unedited Sankarea Replacement Discs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
While I haven't purchased this, I'm a bit miffed by Funi's terse response. Not even an apology, just passing the buck that they used what they were supplied with and implying that it's not at all their fault.
For Funi's part, looking online at comparisons some of the scenes are hard to tell that they are censored, ie no blinding bars of light, but there are a few scenes which should have at least raised an eyebrow or two by their QC.
While these kinds of things can happen, I think Funi's public response was poor and as a customer of their other products, leaves a negative impression on me.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love the double standards on these forums.

FUNimation messes up one of their releases that costs around 40 dollars, everyone's like "BURN THE HEATHEN!! THROW THEM UNDER THE BUS!!!"

Yet when Aniplex messes up a release that costs 4 times as much, suddenly everyone's like "It's okay, everyone messes up sometimes. :3"

Pssh. Rolling Eyes
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:38 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who is actually happy that they released the edited version of the show. I personally LOVED the show to pieces but I did not want to be forced to watch the show with more obvious perversion to it.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:43 am Reply with quote
daughterofashes wrote:
labmember001 wrote:
Why don't they just ship them out to all the customers who bought it, without requiring them to find out about it and mail in? I remember reading an article here a week or two ago about a disc needing to be replaced and the company just sent them all out (don't remember quite who it was).

I bet you're thinking about Sword Art Online DVDs. Yeah some discs had incorrect content on them or something like that. I know if you'd ordered them through Rightstuf replacement discs were sent automatically.

Yeah I'm kind of surprised that Rightstuf isn't automatically sending the replacements for this since that's what usually happens. But I'm also wondering if they will just change their tune in a couple of days and announce that they will be doing it anyway. We'll just have to wait and see.

Because at this point they have probably started charging a lot of doing that and rightly so because everyone complains to the place they got it from not the publisher.
(Says the person who has dealt with SAO customer compliments on amazon for almost an hour each day for a month).
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:48 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

FUNimation messes up one of their releases that costs around 40 dollars, everyone's like "BURN THE HEATHEN!! THROW THEM UNDER THE BUS!!!"

Yet when Aniplex messes up a release that costs 4 times as much, suddenly everyone's like "It's okay, everyone messes up sometimes. :3"

Pssh. Rolling Eyes

Except Aniplex publicly issues out statement, immediately tells retailers (basically Rightstuf) does recall, sends out replacements to everyone.

I don't think Funi should be crucified, but it is definitely more annoying as the burden is put on the consumer being aware and making a request, and they won't issue out a stop shipment and do a recall, delaying the release, which they could have done a week before official release of Oct 1. As acknowledged by Rightstuf, the fact that they will continue to sell the bad stock seems pretty sneaky to me.

I think part of the blame really belongs to the production committee as well. I share Zalis's suspicion that this may have been intentional to discourage reverse importation. If that's the case, I'd be even more pissed off at the JP licensor.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:30 am Reply with quote
Talk about blunder to the highest degree.

Especially when they know that otaku community would throw a hissy fit if the DVD sets arent the unedited versions.

If more blunders like this happens , i wont be surprised they would compare them to 4kids.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Running Wild

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:19 am Reply with quote
Boy meets girl... girl turns into zombie.

what.
BL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
I think we are all over looking something here and that is, it is easy for Aniplex to send out replacements via Rightstuf because they are the ones who mainly handle their releases. In Funimation’s case however, many different retailers handle their releases. Therefore, they probably thought it would be easier to centralize everything and have the customer send them proof of purchase so they can send a replacement out. Another thing to consider is that the way Funimation is handling the replacements is no different from the way other Manufacturers/Distributors have handled recalls in the pass. It is very common to have the customers communicate and receive replacements directly from the Manufacturer/Distributor and not from the place of purchase.

Last edited by BL on Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Pssh. Rolling Eyes

That is not true. Not everyone was saying that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:59 am Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:
Boy meets girl... girl turns into zombie.

what.

Yeah, I know we've seen this a million times before, but still...
lem

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Ah it is sooo worth it to read of news like this in a timely fashion. Thank you Thank you Thank You ANN. You Rock.
Quote:
We will be receiving additional home video masters. Customers who wish to receive the unedited version may do so by emailing [email protected] along with a copy of your original receipt, and a physical mailing address (no PO Boxes please).

Do you seriously think every one has their snail mail delivered to physical addresses nowadays?

*cancels pre-order, starts to wonder if R1 is okay with being something of a crap shoot of late*

You do know that it's okay for you guys to delay stuff? I'm more than willing to wait for a professional release that has had quality control applied in copious amounts.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
BL wrote:
I think we are all over looking something here and that is, it is easy for Aniplex to send out replacements via Rightstuf because they are the ones who mainly handle their releases. In Funimation’s case however, many different retailers handle their releases. Therefore, they probably thought it would be easier to centralize everything and have the customer send them proof of purchase so they can send a replacement out. Another thing to consider is that the way Funimation is handling the replacements is no different from the way other Manufacturers/Distributors have handled recalls in the pass. It is very common to have the customers communicate and receive replacements directly from the Manufacturer/Distributor and not from the place of purchase.

It's fine that Funi is handling this themselves. But the problem is:
The official release is Oct 1. They could have notified all their retailers to stop shipment a week ago, issue a recall, promise to automatically send out replacements for early shipments, and delay the official release. Like what Aniplex did.

The significant difference is that they're still allowing bad stock to be sold. I can see a mix of censored and uncensored versions floating around, both new and used, listed under the same SKU, perhaps still mistakenly even if Funi uses different product codes.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Pssh. Rolling Eyes

SpacemanHardy plugging in a diss to Aniplex USA in thread completely unrelated to Aniplex USA? I applaud your creativity sir.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Pssh. Rolling Eyes

SpacemanHardy plugging in a diss to Aniplex USA in thread completely unrelated to Aniplex USA? I applaud your creativity sir.

In this particular case, it's less about dissing AoA and more about pointing out the obvious double standards.

The same point can be made with NIS America. They have some of the worst quality control in the business and are always messing things up, but everyone seems to take the "It's okay, you did your best" approach with them while throwing FUNi and Sentai under a bus every time they mess up.

Am I saying that FUNi isn't at fault in this matter? Not at all, they definitely could've handled it better. But I don't see why so many people are acting like they just murdered their firstborn when the fact remains that every company out there makes mistakes from time to time.
lem

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:

and I his wonderfully ever so charming consistency. lol. Shocked Very Happy Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5