• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Further Complications

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucca_Ashtear

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:51 am Reply with quote
It's nice to see a little retrospective dedicated to the Megaten franchise and it's role in gaming history. So much attention has been focused on the Persona games (and deservedly so) but the series as a whole has so much to offer.
Just a minor nitpick:
Quote:
Atlus can release three different versions of Persona 3 in North America, and every Shin Megami Tensei game stands a good chance of coming here. Well, except for the PSP version of Soul Hackers.

Atlus has yet to announce a port of Soul Hackers, in the US, Japan, or otherwise. You're probably thinking of the PSP port of Devil Summoner which purportedly didn't get a localized release due to the lack of added content. I find that to be a rather odd decision on Sony's part, given that the English version on the Saturn never saw the light of day. Soul Hackers is held in very high regard by fans and so one can only hope that we may see it on the PSP at some point in the future.
Kazenokishi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:00 am Reply with quote
There actually is precedent for getting out of your Wanzer and going around on foot in the Front Mission games, albeit in a gaiden title: Front Mission Gunhazard for the Super Famicom. Its gameplay is very similar to games like the Assault Suits series (released here as Target: Earth and Cybernator) and the aforementioned Metal Warriors, but with RPG stat-building, overworld, and shop elements.

It seems like Front Mission Evolved might very well turn out to be a conceptual sequel to Gunhazard.

Last edited by Kazenokishi on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Axle911

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:12 am Reply with quote
Kazenokishi wrote:
There actually is precedent for getting out of your Wanzer and going around on foot in the Front Mission games, albeit in a gaiden title: Front Mission Gunhazard for the Super Famicom. Its gameplay is very similar to games like the Assault Suits series (released here as Target: Earth and Cybernator) and the aforementioned Metal Warriors, but with RPG stat-building, overworld, and shop elements.
It seems like Front Mission Evolved might very well turn out to be a conceptual sequel to Gunhazard.

You could also eject from your Wanzer, and get into other people's if you had killed the pilot in FM3 (my fav in the series)

I still wish we would have gotten fm5
sfried

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
So few comments on Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey.

Strange Journey. STRANGE JOURNEY! To hell with you highschool teen-filled RPGs! It's all about adults and dungeon crawlan.

Edit: Also lol'd at Todd's Shadow Complex comment.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I hope FME turns out okay. The series needs a good action game, to sell the sweet universe it has developed.

I'm sure many people would have liked another strategy romp instead, but strategy rpgs don't sell very well. Square want a dose of the same market that invested in stuff like Batman AA (which I'm sure they enjoyed profits from), and action games have largely eluded them over the years.

If FME and Nier can both do well, Square won't have to rely on rpgs as much, which will be a good thing for all.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sfried

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Something I stumbled upon in the Platinum Games forums:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/slsj/index.html

Pheonix03 wrote:
First up is the mysterious The Last Story (pretty close to 'Final Fantasy', heh), which is going to be an RPG co-developed by Nintendo and Sakaguchi-san's MistWalker. The Last Story will have a story with the theme of the universal feelings held by people. The Last Story is most likely the game that MistWalker has been teasing for a long time, and is for the Wii system. Nintendo and MistWalker aim to create a new form of RPG with The Last Story. The Last Story is slated for release sometime this year.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/sx4j/index.html
Pheonix03 wrote:
Next is another Wii RPG named Xenoblade, it is developed by Monolith Software and the latest game from Xenosaga's Tetsuya Takahashi. Xenoblade is slated for release in Japan in Spring 2010.
Raoh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Rogue Galaxy wasn't so much a space opera as it was more so a space drama.

To be honest, I have been waiting for White Knight Chronicles for many years now. I've been following its development for many years before its japanese release in 2008.

I think people should be excited about this. Rogue Galaxy was easily one of the best RPG's I have ever played. I put well over 140 hours into it. A friend of mine hit over 200.

Funny side note, we found out that the save file will only say he has 199.99 hours. Although the ingame stats will say how long he has played. Guess they didn't expect anyone to play that long. Very Happy

White Knight Chronicles will be great, I have no doubts about that. Hopefully I can finish it in time to play Bioshock 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3