• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal: Season III

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
@whiskeyii

Interesting statement, and how Junko and Sayaka have similar thoughts. Smile

To be honest though, I still feel Haruka was done better in S, I agree, the whole thing with the "knightly love" feels poorly executed and feels a bit contrived honestly.
ChatxKilluaxNoir

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so I'm not completely caught up on Sailor Moon Crystal yet, so no spoilers please. However I'm curious to know whether Tuxedo Mask has used the power of his called "Pink Sugar Tuxedo Attack" in Sailor moon Crystal yet like he used "La smoking Bomber" in the anime, if someone could answer it would be much appreciated, thanks? Also how prevalent have his physic powers been so in this adaptation, thanks? Question Smile

Last edited by ChatxKilluaxNoir on Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fallenmessiahx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:45 am Reply with quote
I know in the manga (and now in Crystal) Haruka dresses in both masculine and feminine attire but I kind of miss the 90's version where she only wore mens cloths. Does anyone else agree? Very Happy
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Fallenmessiahx wrote:
I know in the manga (and now in Crystal) Haruka dresses in both masculine and feminine attire but I kind of miss the 90's version where she only wore mens cloths. Does anyone else agree? Very Happy

I dunno, there was a lot to love about Crystal's black miniskirt get up. Very suave. ;D
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
@Fallenmessiahx

I agree, but I did find a shot in Crystal of her wearing a business suit.
Collectonian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote
ChatxKilluaxNoir wrote:
Ok, so I'm not completely caught up on Sailor Moon Crystal yet, so no spoilers please. However I'm curious to know whether Tuxedo Mask has used the power of his called "Pink Sugar Tuxedo Attack" in Sailor moon Crystal yet like he used "La smoking Bomber" in the anime, if someone could answer it would be much appreciated, thanks? Question Smile

No. If I remember right, that should be something that will appear in season 4 (presuming we get it), in the Dream arc.
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote
If you have a problem with the story, take it up with Naoko Takeuchi, not the anime. The anime did it's job - adapt the manga as faithfully as possible with improved art. I have to at least give it credit for that.

If I remember correctly, there's two more arcs after this, right?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, there's only one thing to say after watching this final episode and it's very important to point out:

Someone make a repeating gif of Usagi shaking those maracas! XD
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
SailorNaruto wrote:

I disagree. I don't think Haruka has romantic feelings for Usagi at all. I've never really been partial to her, but I do understand her actions from time to time. I think what she feels towards Sailor Moon is affection, just not the romantic kind. She, like the other Senshi, have a great amount of affection for their princess. She's their light, and it's their duty to protect that light. Now the kiss..... I have no explanation for that lol. I just chalk that up to her being a huge flirt.

No worries, even Haruka and Michiru's current VAs have a similar headcanon, equating Haruka's actions as "knightly" rather than romantic.

I just have a lot of baggage with how Naoko handles Haruka, from the way she plays up Haruka presenting as male but stops once Haruka is "revealed" to be female (which strikes me as a badly handled tease rather than a continuing part of Haruka's character), the romantic "floaty-bubbles" that pepper almost all her scenes with Usagi (and "floaty-bubbles" are usually shorthand for "this scene is romantic"), a lot of the poses Usagi and Haruka strike (like the separated door scene) that seem coded pretty romantically, and of course while the kissing is a big part of my interpretation, I think Mamoru's reaction is more telling, since he reacts as if Usagi was "cheating" on him (and that language gets repeated in the make-up scene of the manga). Plus, the manga juxtaposes Mamoru's reaction to Usagi's sacrifice with Haruka's reaction and makes her seem much more devastated than the other Senshi, even compared to the Senshi who've known Usagi for longer.

I do ultimately think that "knightly love" is what Naoko probably intended by the end of the arc, given that she describes Haruka as "the female best friend and the fairy tale prince one", but I don't think it was executed well. We got less "knightly ideals" and more "love triangle drama". It also seems to buy into some really unpleasant stereotypes about butch lesbians, but that's probably better left for another discussion. ^^;

I'm surprised they have a similar headcanon.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately I've got to agree with Rebecca; season 3 of Crystal feels like it petered out and fell flat on its face at the end.

The art and animation were good, baby Hotaru was cute, and I also did love some shots like the shots of the Inners looking up at the sky and such. But unfortunately, that's all I can say for the good points. Sad

Compared to the manga/S's finales, while the final battle began in an epic way, it unfortunately finished in a way that felt very rushed and anti-climactic, and the entire episode felt like it was thrown together hurriedly. All that pretty much happened here was Moon came out, the Inners and Outers get super forms for no reason (that didn't really leave an impact on the plot either), Saturn seals Pharaoh 90 away with the help of Pluto, the Outers leave with baby Hotaru, and that's pretty much it minus the other part which could hint at a fourth season...we don't see the Inners finding the Outers' empty apartments nor their helicopters flying off, signaling that their duties are done and they are now heading for their new life with Hotaru...

The whole thing with the destruction and such really felt non-existent compared to the manga and S (which had a better ending than this one also). Apparently Toei can't show people dying now, in the manga it felt real because we could see the people dying and the city being destroyed before being revived, in S, we could see the roadway and Mugen Academy destroyed during the final battle, and we got the sense that Moon had to make a tough choice and that everything seemed to be all for naught there before Moon saved the day, whilst the Inners had to fight without Sailor Moon by themselves (and I'm willing to bet the places they guarded like a suspension bridge Mercury was on were destroyed too) but here, it's like only a few buildings got destroyed, no people were there in Tokyo at all other than the Sailors during this whole final battle compared to what we saw in the manga/S (which had hypnotized students in the episode before the final battle)...were they all on summer vacation or something? The stakes just didn't feel that high compared to the other two versions. Sad

Usagi didn't even develop here also, just felt like a perfect hero who saved the day, and I don't know why the Inners and Outers got their Super forms here, to me, it feels like they leave no impact also. Sad

And whilst the ending/beginning of Dead Moon arc was kinda charming and it was funny seeing Usagi and the others being hilarious and finally in high school, it really felt tacked upon and nearly forced, almost like how season 1 ended/2 began, with Chibi-Usa just coming out of nowhere. This ending didn't really feel like an ending, and the way it was executed, it felt that season III ended up building up to a letdown in a way. In my opinion, they made a mistake for putting the cliffhanger in the episode 12 and probably should have just ended it with Saturn appearing and then have her attack and such in the final episode. At least we may be getting the Dead Moon arc which was far better than the Infinity manga arc and the best of all five manga arcs.

Despite this lackluster ending, season 3 of Sailor Moon Crystal was still good/decent, I enjoyed it and consider it the true first season of Crystal and I give it a final score of 6/10. Could have been better, and a good amount of the time, its flaws outweigh its virtues, but it's still enjoyable and I can recommend it. I just hope season 4, if we get it, is way better. Neutral

What do you think? Agree, disagree? If you disagree I respect your opinion as long as you respect mine.

Unfortunately what's just as annoying is those annoying Crystal fanboys/fangirls still going around disrespecting others' opinions, I saw one guy spamming this today: "This was a great final battle. There, I said the truth. 90's fans should take off their nostalgia goggles, and I'm one of them. The Sailor Moon series was NEVER meant to be a Dragon Ball Z series where sailor senshis are blasting the final boss with energy beams yet Toei also gave us that as a bonus. Sailor Moon bosses were always meant to be defeated in symbolic ways and if that comes across as "flat, disappointing, and/or lackluster" to some of you then there's nothing we can do about that -- it's your own peogative. I, however, felt this was a great finale to wrap up one of my most favorite and action-packed arc of the Sailor Moon series."

See what I mean? He claims that "it's your opinion" at one point though at yet before he claims he's "telling the truth" like his opinion is fact and only his matters, plus that stupid "nostalgia goggles" excuse already has been old. Evil or Very Mad

If you have a different opinion, it's fine, but if you have to insult others and claim they're being "blinded by nostalgia", that's another story (no pun intended) Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Sailor Sedna on Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
it was not toei not wanting to show people die as much as it was chiaki kon saving budget by avoiding animatting groups of people, that was here since her first episode.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
@maximilianjenus

Really? Well, then I don't think it was a good idea to save the budget there. Sad
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:59 am Reply with quote
In a very, very weird way, this episode reminded me of the last episode of Classic's Infinity arc, which also sort of petered out into "whoops, gotta' wrap up loose ends and throw in some forced conflict".

I will say, Season 3 of Crystal did give me the one (okay, two) things that I really wanted out of it: clarity, and a Saturn transformation. I dunno' about the rest of you, but I feel like the manga's rendition of Saturn's destruction of the earth and Sailor Moon's subsequent revival of it actually has LESS context than what Crystal gave us. (Not to mention the discussions about whether Death Ribbon Revolution was the actual attack that ended the world, or if Saturn just using her glaive in a particular way did that. Glad to finally put that to rest.) But yeah, context.

So, Saturn's motivations in the manga basically amount to a "scorched earth" policy in that she's obviously clearing the whole darn planet so new life can spring anew. Which is fine, but what they don't hint at is why Saturn suddenly decided to send herself and Pharaoh 90 into space-time-limbo. For me, the anime at least cleared up that Saturn seems to realize that so long as Sailor Moon is alive, Saturn cannot truly end the world, since it's still got a fighting chance--or at least, her destruction doesn't extend to the "also wipe out all life including the Senshi" variety implied during the destruction of the old Silver Millennium. I think PumpkinMouse had the right of it when they said that the apparent death of Super Sailor Moon was what triggered Saturn's "oh shit, gotta' destroy the world now" button.

(Whether or not Saturn also destroyed civilization is up for debate; the manga shows quite a lot of the world being devoured by the sea, and NQS's revival seems to revive people as well, rather than just the surrounding architecture, but I'm getting off-track here.)

So, while it was ultimately a pretty uneven ride for me, at least I actually enjoyed being on it this time around. I definitely can't say that for Seasons 1 and 2 of Crystal, so credit where it's due and all that. I'm actually looking forward to the Dreams arc, which was my least favorite of the Classic arcs, both because of Chibi-Usa herself, and because of the reeeeeally unpleasant rape-y undertones with all those Dream Mirrors. Yeesh, Ikuhara, pull back on the Nightmare Fuel!

EDIT: I'd also like to add that far and away, I thought that this Season's comedic bits were some of the stronger parts of the season. They just do a really, really great job of breathing life into the characters when they aren't swarmed by melodrama and world-ending catastrophes. More maraca-waving Usagis, please!
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:30 am Reply with quote
I disagree; I adored this episode; I think it was amazing. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see sticking too close to the source material as a bad thing. If anything I enjoy it. I mean that is the point of Crystal, right? Although I really wish they'd kept the scene where the Inners rush to the roof of the condo to find the outer senshi taking off In their helicopter. But oh well. Animation wise, it was gorgeous. I particularly loved how beautifully done Sailor Moon's transformation into Neo Queen Serenity was. I'd say this episode was a 9/10. Very Happy
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:38 am Reply with quote
@whiskeyii

I never felt S petered out, sure it did have those two extra episodes, but at least episode 125 had a final battle and it felt like the continuation of one.

Here, it didn't feel action packed, and it didn't even feel like a battle, kinda as if the battle ended the previous episode...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 20