• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spotting Bootlegs

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:42 am Reply with quote
Ever since the 2 links are down, here's a visual example of how most bootlegs look like,
Note that this bootleg has the FX logo and the cover was ripped straight from the LE version of Cowboy Bebop.
There are only 3 discs and the packaging used for the DVDs are not used by companies such as ADV, Bandai, etc.
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:22 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:

.......Scrapped Princess on the other hand.... It's like it was subbed by a 3 year old with a barely working knowledge of English. Many names had ugly chinese-romanized spellings (Pacixuia or something), and it was so poorly translated it was laughable. It was then I learned that I had hong kong bootlegs, and now I can spot them a mile away.

That it has copyright info and disclaimers on the back is beyond ironic.

I also bought a bootleg version of Scrapped Princess. The image quality was so bad, it looks as if somebody recorded entire series straight from TV. The set was bought from ebay.com and it was not cheap.

I find it hard to differentiate between bootlegs and non bootlegs. I won't jump to the conclusion that all region 0 disks are booktlegs because it seems that most DVDs that come out of Asia nowadays are region 0. I wish the Japanese producers themselves can list their legal distribution channels. We do not know the arrangements between the Japaenese producers and their Asian partners. If all region 0 sets are bootleg, the producers sure must have spent a lot of time and resources on making some of these look real.

I am fussy with image and sound quality for anime. Hence, I will scream and kick if the quality suck. For serieses that I really treasure, I will buy from established retailers.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote
ivorymoose wrote:
I find it hard to differentiate between bootlegs and non bootlegs. I won't jump to the conclusion that all region 0 disks are booktlegs because it seems that most DVDs that come out of Asia nowadays are region 0.

1. All Asian countries have their respective region code.
2. Many titles released by Central Park Media are Region 0.
3. You really have to learn the trick about how to tell the difference between the authentic and the pirated product.

ivorymoose wrote:
For serieses that I really treasure, I will buy from established retailers.

Why don't you do so from the start?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:39 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

ivorymoose wrote:

Because I don't value every title I watch equally.

The confusion comes with the region 0 disks. By the time I know it is a bootleg, it's too late. Some region 0 boxsets have very good packaging and cover work, the picture and sound quality is also very good. This is why I don't think that all region 0 disks are bootlegs. I wish I know how to differentiate this. The established retailers do not normally sell region 0 disks.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:06 pm Reply with quote
ivorymoose wrote:
This is why I don't think that all region 0 disks are bootlegs. I wish I know how to differentiate this.

Well, what's ANN's Encyclopedia for? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Jermhatespants

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the information those who gave it. I know at least one store I will not be purchasing products from anymore. I just I had known all this before I bought the stuff I'd bought.
Drazic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
ivorymoose wrote:
dormcat wrote:

ivorymoose wrote:

Because I don't value every title I watch equally.

The confusion comes with the region 0 disks. By the time I know it is a bootleg, it's too late. Some region 0 boxsets have very good packaging and cover work, the picture and sound quality is also very good. This is why I don't think that all region 0 disks are bootlegs. I wish I know how to differentiate this. The established retailers do not normally sell region 0 disks.

There are non-bootleg region 0. But Anime with subs on a region 0 is almost always a bootleg. Anime with subs are rare and it's usually just movies. And if they have subs it's usually region 3 Smile
Auraan

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
Since Amazon seems to be selling bootlegs now, can anyone confirm whether or not the limited edition Haruhi volume 1 they're selling is legitimate or not?
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:10 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this is the right place the ask this question. I recently came across region 0 DVDs which are sold in Malaysia bearing the seal of approval by the Malaysian government. These DVDs are of good image and sound quality. However, upon inspection of the back of the disks, they are not legitimate copies because there is no encryption (bar codes) in the inner ring of the disks.Moreover from my understanding, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia is classified as Region 3 and the only distributor is Odex Singapore. I also find it puzzling as to why the Japanese producers would grant distribution rights or authentication role to the Malaysian government. I am curious about the significance of that Malaysian government seal, is it a seal of authenticity or is that a seal of sensorship approval? Does anyone here knows or has experience this? In order for the government of Malaysia to authenticate the product, they must have some prior agreement or arrangment with the either the legitimate distributor or Japanese companies.

I have given up on differentiating between bootlegs and originals unless I really like the title. This is too complicated. I'm asking this question out of curiousity and nothing else. Nowadays, I have reasons to believe that even Amazon may be sellilng bootlegs either knowingly or unknowingly.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:26 am Reply with quote
ivorymoose wrote:
I recently came across region 0 DVDs which are sold in Malaysia bearing the seal of approval by the Malaysian government.

Ironically, that has become a sign of a bootleg more so than region-free discs. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

ivorymoose wrote:
I also find it puzzling as to why the Japanese producers would grant distribution rights or authentication role to the Malaysian government.

No they didn't.

ivorymoose wrote:
I am curious about the significance of that Malaysian government seal, is it a seal of authenticity or is that a seal of sensorship approval?

The latter.

ivorymoose wrote:
Does anyone here knows or has experience this?

Here and here.

ivorymoose wrote:
In order for the government of Malaysia to authenticate the product, they must have some prior agreement or arrangment with the either the legitimate distributor or Japanese companies.

No they don't. They just care whether the content meets their moral standards.

ivorymoose wrote:
I have given up on differentiating between bootlegs and originals unless I really like the title. This is too complicated.

No it's not. Just a bit more practice and you can do it without fail.
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Dormcat, that was very informative, answered my doubts. Now for those other examples spotted by other fans, I'm shocked by the the Haibane Renmei case where the seller in Singapore dare to misuse the censorship seal of the Singapore government. If caught, it is a serious offense. That is one brave seller. I won't dare do this to my government. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop The problem I think is that Odex distributes only a few titles and Haibane Renmei is not one of them. Hence, there is no reason for Odex to pursue this specific case. Moreover, it would be too expensive for Odex to investigate every bootleg. I was told by a friend in Toronto that unless the official distributor for the title decide to take legal action by filing a police report, bootleggers go free and can sell and do whatever they want openly, the law enforcement agencies won't take action. This is why there are so many pirated DVDs.

All I am certain of is that authentic region 3 DVDs won't play on ordinary North American DVD players and every disk cover or boxset has the official Odex company name, address and contact information printed on the back. The inner ring of disks are encrypted with barcodes. It is region 0 that I am not able to differentiate between real and pirate. If you think about this carefully, it is not worth buying pirated DVDs although they are cheaper because the product has no value. Even authentic VCD boxsets have more value than pirated DVDs.

Well, I forgot to say that I'm surprised that the Malaysian government seal is a cersorship seal because the title I'm referring to happens to be Elfen Lied. As you know, there is a current thread in the main forum discussing the nudity in Elfen Lied! Wow......the Malaysian censorship board is getting liberal. Cool
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quote
ivorymoose wrote:
Thanks Dormcat, that was very informative, answered my doubts.

My pleasure.

ivorymoose wrote:
Well, I forgot to say that I'm surprised that the Malaysian government seal is a cersorship seal because the title I'm referring to happens to be Elfen Lied. As you know, there is a current thread in the main forum discussing the nudity in Elfen Lied! Wow......the Malaysian censorship board is getting liberal. Cool

There are several possibilities:

1. They did cut / mosaic / fog some scenes. Have you watched it in its entirety?

2. They judged it by the cover i.e. thought it was nothing more than cartoon for kids. This happens a lot, such as the Chinese title of Narutaru (星星公主, literally "starry princess") is very similar to that of Cosmic Baton Girl Comet-san (彗星公主, literally "princess comet"), and the former escaped being labeled as "restricted" (i.e. "adult only" in Taiwan). A friend of mine bought a set for his grade school niece; a few weeks later his aunt yelled at him "what the heck you bought for my daughter?!" Anime smile + sweatdrop

3. The label itself is forged.
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

1. They did cut / mosaic / fog some scenes. Have you watched it in its entirety?

I did watch the anime in its entity and all the nude scenes are not fogged or mosaic. Judging from the way fans describe the nude scenes in the discussion thread in the main forum, it would seem that no scenes are cut. Malaysia's censorship board is famous for its stringent checks, it is rumoured that they watch every movie. They could not have missed this. Although the nudity isn't distastful or disturbing, Islamic law will not allow nudity of any kind to be circulated. I am surprised they approved Elfen Lied. The censorship approval seal look authentic.
Fezi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, some time ago I bought a Chobits DVD on Ebay, i wasnt related to import Animes before, it was my first one (there are enouth german licensed anime to spend all of a students money Anime smile)

The booklet says its manufactured by fansnear animation inc. japan. made in japan
in the dvd book is also written: publish by manga animation cartoon DVD inc. email [email protected]

Here are Pictures of the DVD:

http://bagelboy.de/chobits/inside1.jpg

http://bagelboy.de/chobits/frontandback.jpg

http://bagelboy.de/chobits/inside1anddvd1.jpg

http://bagelboy.de/chobits/chobitscomplete.JPG

as you can see on the pictures the dvd is region-code free (ALL) NTSC
synchronisation is japanese and englisch, subtitles are english, chinese and spanish and its „mpeg2“
There are no significant signs from a concern on the DVD, and there are all episodes on 3 DVDs

The seller says this DVD is licenced for asia area and legal imported, and because of my statement in front of paypal, thats a bootleg (i've read a lot of pirate faqs after I found the strange email adress) he put on his lawyer who wants to indict me because of slur on the sellers reputation.
I don't know who is the licensor for chobits tv(it seems so that it isn't kodansha, geneon.co.jp says it is TBS but they haven't answered me yet)
and i really dont know how i can get a proof that this is a bootleg (maybe it isnt at all- then I've a big problem Sad )
Do you know maybe official statements or something like that, which reinforce that this is a bootleg?
Many thanks in advance for your help!
Felix from Germany
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:41 pm Reply with quote
One thing I look for if determining a non-Japanese, Asian release of anime is the currency that that is shown on the DVD. Official, licensed HK DVDs that aren't considered bootlegs (which only sometimes include English or Spanish subtitles) typically would have the price listed in the appropriate currency. When you see yen shown, it is because they simply copied the image of a Japanese dvd and thus is probably a bootleg.

But it's not a surefire guarantee way to be for certain, it is just one of the many clues I use to help out. There are various online stores that you can purchase official Asian market releases of anime, that also have a no bootleg policy. Plus you may be able to find an anime that is not available in your home country and includes the language that fits your needs, AND is cheaper than the Japanese R2 edition. A good example of this are any number of Studio Ghibli films.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 33