• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki DVDs Delayed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:36 am Reply with quote
Byron: Why are you surprised? Everyone's known for a while now that Disney hates anime and Ghibli in particular.
phoelixian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:12 am Reply with quote
Whedon/Zac, if it's not a production snafu with the discs, what do you think is going on with the release? Printing problems with the packaging/inserts? What I don't get is if the dvd's are already done and sitting somewhere now waiting for the release date, what could have come up at Disney to delay them?

I work for a Publishing company, printing and distributing magazines. Once something has run the mile, is off press and we get billing copies, that's awesome. If the discs are in the same manner, packaged up and ready to go--could it be a distribution/shipping issue?
JiJi McPaws

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:03 am Reply with quote
Don't blame Eisner, Disneys been our source of income for the last 33 years, never got a good paycheck till Eisner came in Razz

Anyways, I hope, and will even pray that these all still come out. It's really amazing how American animation, aside from Pixar has really taken a back seat, compared to anime in the US. Buena Vista knows what they're doing... I hope, maybe not though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
phoelixian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:19 am Reply with quote
Love your avatar, McPaws! JiJi voiced by Phil Hartman was a blast! I was very happy when Beuna Vista released Kiki, etc. on dvd last year and I'm still very much looking forward to when Nausicaa comes--whenever that is now. . . Confused
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Anyway, I just want the Takahata movies to get released on time, because I was in an interview segment that was used for one of the dvd's, and I want to milk my 15 minutes of fame.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Disney's been hyping these for months - the Porco Rosso premier in NYC, et al - so there's something really wierd going on here. Nothing sinister, I hope

That wasn't hype. THey are required by contract to show the films theatrically. Notice they all get ONE showing and then they toss the print into the vault, never to be seen again.

I'm looking into it,but Disney is a fortress and it takes forever to find out anything. Like I said, it's probably them looking to pair them with Howls, which from what I hear has been fasttracked to come out before the end of the year
YUGI

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Who were you in the interview like cosplay
JiJi McPaws

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:03 pm Reply with quote
phoelixian wrote:
Love your avatar, McPaws! JiJi voiced by Phil Hartman was a blast! I was very happy when Beuna Vista released Kiki, etc. on dvd last year and I'm still very much looking forward to when Nausicaa comes--whenever that is now. . . Confused

Thanks phoelixian, I found this picture a long time ago on some website, lost it, then took about 3 hours finding it again on Google image search. Anyways, Disney IS bringing out some Takahata movies right? I remember seeing bits and pieces of a movie I think was called Only Yesterday, that told a story about a families life during a Summer... I love Miyazaki, but Ghibli's got some great titles by Isao Takahata... What was the one with the antique shop and the wooden cat that comes to life called? Disney has the rights to all Ghibli films, right? Even future titles?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Jiji: If this delay doesn't affect the Takahata movies, then Only Yesterday, Pon Poko and the Yamadas hit dvd in November. The one with the cat is called Whisper of the Heart and has not been confirmed for dvd due to some music license issue. And Disney has the rights to most of the Ghibli library except for On Your Mark. They have a stock in their future titles, not ownership.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:05 pm Reply with quote
They have first right of refusal on future titles, and they have a certain base financial commitment to them
animaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Crying or Very sad Sad Shocked Mad Twisted Evil eisner blows. he's a moron and a jerk. not just for this but for pixar as well. they will come out but late and I thought the timing was great. Hope we find out the new time soon and that its not to big a delay. Geez. This sucks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
C_Brightshadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:37 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Jiji: If this delay doesn't affect the Takahata movies, then Only Yesterday, Pon Poko and the Yamadas hit dvd in November. The one with the cat is called Whisper of the Heart and has not been confirmed for dvd due to some music license issue. And Disney has the rights to most of the Ghibli library except for On Your Mark. They have a stock in their future titles, not ownership.

They were scheduled to come out on November... wow, that's sooner than I thought. For me it's not that the DVDs are delayed but what's going on in Disney. I'll be the first one to scream that "Eisner is evil" but with some justification. Under him a company that was originally made to produce animation works for children (and very very good ones at that too) has now turned more... corporate... focus on profit rather than the magic (slashing the animational staff and selling the rights to the Muppets is the least of it). Better for the company's survival perhaps, but under this we won't get anything close to "The Lion King," "Aladdin," and some of their other great works that we love. I mean... can we name anything lately from Disney that's really memoriable...

Personally, I'm puzzled by this apparent delay from Disney as well as cutting ties with Pixar) because this is where a lot of their income comes from. Hopefully, this delay won't be anything significant and our anime will come out soon.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:07 am Reply with quote
Fasttracking Howl's? Bleh, I hope not. Not that I wouldn't be adverse to seeing the movie sooner, though.

But one of the reasons for SA's success (and to a lesser extent, Mononoke) was that Disney gave the film ample time to plow through the big festival circuit, like Berlin and Toronto, where it picked up hefty awards before coming stateside. If they release the film near-simultaneously with the Japanese release, the only buzz on the film would be based on Ghibli's previous prestige, which is always somewhat of a gamble.

[/tinfoil hat]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:10 am Reply with quote
I don't think they really care if they win with Howl. They just want to have the most slots at the Academy Awards.
JiJi McPaws

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:10 pm Reply with quote
animaniac wrote:
Crying or Very sad Sad Shocked Mad Twisted Evil eisner blows. he's a moron and a jerk. not just for this but for pixar as well. they will come out but late and I thought the timing was great. Hope we find out the new time soon and that its not to big a delay. Geez. This sucks.

Um, as far as I know, Eisner has nothing to do with Pixar, I believe Pixar has a contract with Disney for one more films after the Incredibles, a movie about talking cars. It's too early to know whether or not Pixar will continue with Disney. I mean, if not for Disney's financial support, I doubt Pixar would have become what it is today.

Though they would do well on their own, for Disney's sake, I hope Pixar decides to stay.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3