• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ef - a tale of memories.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I, too, prefer the song from the prologue. I can't even remember what the one they are using sounds like.
Westlo wrote:
I wonder if SHAFT will try to break the eyecatch record they set in one of the Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei episodes.

Wouldn't the record be the 31 from the Negima Spring OVA?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quote
First I'll get this off my chest. I can't get enough of the OP sequence; it's just so cool looking! Heck, the OP song's full length is starting to become one of my favorite songs for this fall season (well, despite the bad Engrish Laughing ).

Now with episode 3, I think this will determine whether you'll continue to watch it or not because this introduce many intriguing plot events that can go either way! For instance, spoiler[the first half of the series actually concentrated on Renji and Chihiro. It also expanded on Chihiro's memory lapse condition which was caused by a traffic accident long time ago. To help coup with the memory loss, Chihiro had to read and write in her diary everyday. The first half ended with Renji feeling bad for making a mistake of not meeting with Chihiro at the station as they promised. According to Yuu, Chihiro considers these promises a way to connect herself.]

The second half introduce some potential romantic tension! spoiler[Especially near the end when Kei found out that Hiro broke her promise in coming to meet her at Christmas Day and instead went out with Miyako. Seems like Miyako has a pretty bad reputation which Kei doesn't want Hiro to get involved in.]

In addition spoiler[more insight on Kyosuke are made especially on the part that he wants to make movies his own way and not to win prizes (creative freedom, FTW!!!). Because of that, he dropped out of the film club he was in.]

I seriously can't wait for these events to start intertwining to one another. It's really fascinating stuff! Cool
ElementSun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Is it possible? They are hinting at a relatively happy ending for the series, but after witness the horror known as School Days, I fear any new romance anime's I get into well end in a nice boat scenario Anime cry.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:15 am Reply with quote
I have to say the intro for EF is now my favorite of the season, which gives SHAFT the two best openings from the last two seasons imo. Hito to Shite Jiku ga Bureteiru from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei being my fav from last season.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I, too, prefer the song from the prologue. I can't even remember what the one they are using sounds like.
Westlo wrote:
I wonder if SHAFT will try to break the eyecatch record they set in one of the Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei episodes.

Wouldn't the record be the 31 from the Negima Spring OVA?

I never saw Negima, I might check out the SHAFT version next month, too much on my plate atm.
s0ju

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quote
I was actually slightly dissatisfied with the artistic approach regarding Ef. The background rendering and character models (except for the 2nd episode at 3:23... yikes) are quite a pleasure to see. It's apparent that the artists take much into account when it comes to visual appeal. However, I felt that continually using those effects over and over again might have been over-doing it. I do understand where the artists are coming from regarding how these effects coincide with the story line and I do admit that it does make this anime unique, but (for me at least) it just seems overdone.

But then again, I still find myself eagerly waiting every Monday so what can I say... ^^"

-s0ju
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 4....oh wow the drama was certainly running high in this episode! For Renji and Chihiro, spoiler[Renji wanted her to assist him in creating a novel; he hoped that this will be a good way to help her since writing stories is her dream. Unfortunately, Chihiro shot down the idea very quickly and thought Renji was making fun of her. The real real reason she did that that is because she's afraid of losing everything like the experiences in writing a story. She's also frustrated about the fact that Renji knows a lot more about her memories than herself. This part of the episode ended with Chihiro rushing towards him and wanting him to hold her a little longer. He then asked her what kind of story she'll like to write. ]

Now as for Hiro, Miyako, and Kei, spoiler[well this episode proves that Kei REALLY sucks at cooking! Laughing

Also the episode gave a glimpse of how Hiro decided to become a shoujo manga artist and it's all thanks to Kei's and Chihiro's suggestion. In addition Hiro has major financial issues so Miyako decided to cook him dinner. Coincidently Kei decided to cook him dinner, and as she opened the door at Hiro's place, she saw her feeding him. Then Kei ran off. After that new ending sequence, Kei started to cry in front of that church.]

Hmmm, spoiler[with Kei being devastated, I wonder this will start the coming events of Kyousuke entering in the stage. I can imagine him comforting her in the near future.]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:07 am Reply with quote
I want to applaud the director's use of odd camera angles and giving us a nice view of Kei's friend's ass. While this show is heavy on the drama it can be pretty darn funny at times too with the whole scene of Kei trying to cook and her friend spoiler[forbidding her from ever cooking again.] And then there are the conversations between Hiro and Miyako.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Ooooo, interesting developments in episode 5! While this episode has been jumping back and forth with each couple, I decided to group each of them. For Renji and Chihiro, spoiler[well, looks like they're going forth with writing the story. Few amusing moments with Renji's mom who's a......cute milf! Surprised

Though Chihiro has brought out an interesting metaphor about a sheep being tied to stake and its world is only that fixed area. She had a similar imagery of herself being chained to that statue with her world limited to the fixed stained-glass area (was anyone getting Kingdom Hearts vibes out of it?).]

Now for the other peeps (and yes that even includes Kyousuke Wink ), spoiler[near the end, Hiro called up Kei to come to his place, and then she was caught completely off guard when Kyousuke actually asked her out! Shocked

In addition, we got ourselves one heck of a "catfight" between Miyako and Kei on what's best for Hiro. Kei said he should stick to his studies while Miyako refuted that it's Hiro's own decision, and he should do what he likes with the opportunity at hand. Also we got to see the events on what really happened to Chihiro and the car accident. Obviously Kei felt guilty about it because she dragged Hiro to the beach when he supposed to meet up with Chihiro later.]

It's a rather interesting development. spoiler[Kei is the one that got Hiro into drawing manga, but at certain times Hiro spent more time with her sister in developing more of the manga. And now in the present time, Kei pretty much nags on Hiro that he should finish up his schooling or risk repeating a grade. It makes me wonder the reason Kei is doing this is for her own satisfaction that she's doing something good for Hiro's well-being. I can almost bet that what Miyako thinks about her at this point and thus attacks Kei's reasoning.]
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:18 am Reply with quote
The last thing I expected was SHAFT doing drama Confused And well I didn't try to watch it pretty much because of the absolutely incomprehensible Engrish this show has a for a title. Until today, now that I have too much free time...

Oh [insert exclamations here] what was I missing out?

Episode 1 was confusing (the twins especially. I thought for a moment she -- that is, they -- has some sort of a double personality =/ ) but the subsequent episodes clear it up.

The drama on this show is actually pretty good. The spoiler[romance-with-continuous-memory-loss] might be a plot that comes up now and then in the romance genre but that doesn't mean the way this anime handles it isn't sweet. Chihiro certainly comes out as a sweet if extremely unhappy girl thanks to her situation -- a loss of identity is I guess a good reason as any to be depressed. And Renji is refreshingly straightforward in his hopes and desires. I mean, usually when the first scene of the series begins with a nice, shy-looking guy pondering his "I am empty" introspective thoughts, it's an indication that he'll be a weak boring generic male character. Instead Renji went straight ahead into the relationship knowing the complication and more than willing to deal with it for the sake of love.

Also, I think the vision and dreams of these two people are surprisingly well fit together, that is: spoiler[Renji's dream of being a knight who would save his beloved his princess kind of goes along with Chihiro's dream of needing to be saved from her shackles. I could already come up with a thousand cheesy lines to carry this plot further, something like "Let me be your memory" or some such Anime hyper]

The love square is also heating up. Ouch Kei!spoiler[ You waited too long with your complicated feelings and your blaming yourself for the fate of your twin that your precious childhood friend got snatched away by a snazzy senpai!]

Although the snazzy senpai herself seems to be hiding psychological problems of her own; loneliness, perhaps, or something more... interesting?

The dreamer-artist-photographer guy doesn't make much of an impression on me though, surprisingly. He seems thoughtful, and I usually like thoughtful characters. I guess I just find other aspects of this show more interesting.

And finally it's a Good Thing they have more than one meaningful male characters involved. Harems aren't exactly the best format to carry out dramatic plots.

I think the way SHAFT handles it, crazy animation tricks and all, helps make the drama more interesting than it would've been otherwise. It also helps diminish that "Hentai Game!" vibe that might've ruined my enjoyment of the show.

I mean, look at Myself; Yourself and its generic, often faulty, execution...

edit: sigh, the forum is acting up again. I lost a portion of my post and needed to retype it.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quote
Miyako was awesome in this episode. She spoiler[took control of Kei's confrontation before it even started. Then she beat down Kei without breaking a sweat.]

Oh, and Renji's mom was great. spoiler["I'm his wife!"]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:11 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Oh, and Renji's mom was great. spoiler["I'm his wife!"]

Yeah, that was awesome.

Chihiro's little sheep probelm was perhaps the most morbid interpretation of a math problem I've ever seen. Also, I liked her comments about cooking. Both, spoiler[I can cook, but it's not safe to eat the result.] and spoiler[women in my family and cooking don't go together.]
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6.....a declaration of war has been set! Twisted Evil

spoiler[At the railroad crossing, Kei and Miyako met, and Kei told her that she'll do everything to get rid of her existence from Hiro's heart. Interesting thing to note that Miyako said to herself that she'll disappear again. I wonder what happened to Miyako in the past. With that declaration in mind, Miyako asked Hiro out on a date, but that conflicted with his plans to go see Kei's basketball game. Supposedly he forgotten about it so he decided to go out with Miyako. Later in the day during the game, Kei got herself injured so Kyousuke contacted Hiro to pick her up in which he stood Miyako up.

After the another new ending sequence (which is about Chihiro now), Hiro's cellphone said it had 99 missed calls. Oh shit! This is going to get ugly fast! Shocked]

Along with that event, other stuff happened like spoiler[Hiro's and Kyousuke's little debate on balancing artistic visions and appealing to the audiences, and Renji wanting to bring Chihiro to his school library for a visual inspiration for their novel. The amusing thing was that Renji questioned why his neighbor Kuze has school girl uniforms in his closet, or even worse why does his mother know he has them! Laughing]

We're in the halfway point and the peeps from SHAFT are seriously delivering this with style! Let's hope they can keep this up because this very intriguing take on a visual novel (and not to mention a feast for the eyes).
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:51 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Episode 6.....a declaration of war has been set! Twisted Evil

It's out!? ZOMG awesomeness!

Edit: I was correct, ZMOG awesomeness indeed!

The love triangle takes a new path in this episode. spoiler[Kei's declaration of war! I love the way Kei regains ground after Miyako's first appearance; at first it appears like she lost (for extra dramatic effect...and great material for the photographer). Miyako is going to be angry. Ouch, Hiro, 99 mails! Also, it seems he hasn't forgotten Chihiro after all.

Lots of promise for lots of drama: though Kei has the new photographer guy pursuing her, I like how they handle it so well that I can't guess who's going to come out on top like I usually can.

Awkward moments with schoolgirl outfits. lol @ Mom knowing the neighbor guy has fetish uniforms. We're also confirmed that Dad isn't dead or divorced (the boy said something about a "married woman").]
Also, is it just me or our Chihiro's knight has a hairstyle that is influenced by the neighbor guy? They both have that long hair thing after all and they seem pretty close in a pseudo-mentor-apprentice relationship. Surrogate dad type possibly, since the father doesn't seem to be around.

Even though the I'm-not-a-pastor guardian is foreshadowing troubles and there are inherent limits to the relationship, I hope the Chihiro-Renji relationship wins out in the end. They're so cute together it's criminal to separate them! Anime smile

There's also an interesting character conflict between the manga artist and the idealistic photographer going on.

And finally, does anyone know how long this will be?

Last edited by Samurai-with-glasses on Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:43 am; edited 3 times in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Shaft delivers again, this time with a new ED.

Wow, Shaft is making some epic confrontation scenes with Miyako and Kei.
jetz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I got a question. Why is it called Ef?

btw, I love the OP, Euphoric Field. They're using the English version in the anime, but I found out there was also a Japanese version. The English version is a lot better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8