• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Singer-Songwriter Sayuri Dies at 28

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 8:10 am Reply with quote
No way. What a tragedy.
Elfensjón

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 8:12 am Reply with quote
I was shocked when I woke up and read the news of Sayuri passing away.
She was such a talented singer and I really loved her singing voice.
Rest in peace, Sanketsu Shōjo Sayuri. You will be missed but your music will live on.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 9:23 am Reply with quote
Why are so many talented people dying young this year? Especially when she really only just got married...

Her music was so genuine, sincere, and captivating. RIP Sayuri.
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 9:52 am Reply with quote
A brilliantly talented singer who did work for some of my favorite anime in recent years. The industry and fandom have suffered a great loss.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 10:24 am Reply with quote
Just why, she was way too young Sad I really liked your work, may you be happy wherever you are right now.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Artemis X wrote:
This is not a fatal condition. There is no way something like this killed her. functional dysphonia is a condition of the vocal cords becoming constrained which causes involuntary spasms in the muscles of the voice box. My aunt has it, but it in no way prevents any abnormal bodily functions that sustain your lifehood like lungs, heart, brain. This may not be the full story, its more likely that she died from a different condition

Living with the condition can also cause uneeded stress a lower quality of life due not being able to speak normally. But we may have to find out when more information comes out, if they release the full story.

Yeah this sounds strange. I think there’s something else they’re not saying.
Jacut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 1:51 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Artemis X wrote:
This is not a fatal condition. There is no way something like this killed her. functional dysphonia is a condition of the vocal cords becoming constrained which causes involuntary spasms in the muscles of the voice box. My aunt has it, but it in no way prevents any abnormal bodily functions that sustain your lifehood like lungs, heart, brain. This may not be the full story, its more likely that she died from a different condition

Living with the condition can also cause uneeded stress a lower quality of life due not being able to speak normally. But we may have to find out when more information comes out, if they release the full story.

Yeah this sounds strange. I think there’s something else they’re not saying.

Having followed her career since her pro debut and seen her a few times live in Japan, she was always saying how "she could die tomorrow", "music is the only thing that keeps me alive", "I'm only still there thanks to my fans" and stuff like that, and not being able to do the one thing that she liked was most likely the trigger of what looks like a suicide. Of course it hasn't been announced as is customary in Japan, but it's the only real possibility at this point, except if it as an accident of course, but with her being extremely shy and not going out of her room much, that doesn't look very realistic. She was also quite healthy, and never spoke of any other condition except her functional dysphonia. She struggled with depression a lot though and suddenly decided to marry a musician she just met because she "wanted to feel like a normal girl her age" and "experience being like everyone else", so yeah, as somebody that followed her career from the outside, I wasn't really surprised when I saw this on X this morning. Very sad of course, but not surprised since she talked about her own death so often in public. To be honest, every time she was taking a hiatus from music and public life (which was at least once a year), I was wondering if she was still there or something had happened to her, and her first sentences when "reappearing" in front of her fans was "I'm still alive, sorry to have worried you", so... It is also to be noted that in Japan, traditionally, when the cause of death is an accident or illness, the obituary mentions the specifics, but when it is suicide, the obituary remains very vague like this one. Speculation on the Japanese Internet tends to lean this way also. I'm just glad I saw her live one last time at the end of February in Kawasaki. It was the same day she proposed to her future husband actually, and since he hadn't replied by the time of the concert, she was very stressed out but gave a phenomenal performance and even performed her new (and last) song.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ZetMoon80

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Artemis X wrote:

The funeral has already taken place. I doubt very much that they will reveal the details of what really happened in the future, and understandably so. Whatever the reason, I don't think there is any point in speculating and wanting more details of her death. There is a reason why the family wanted to keep all this as confidential as possible.
k_ozdragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 3:35 pm Reply with quote
This is absolutely terrible. I loved her music the first time I heard it and really enjoyed watching her videos. I was blessed to be able to see her perform at Anime Expo back in 2018. She gave a stellar performance. It's heart breaking to hear her gift of singing was being taken from her by disease. She was so young too. Such a tragedy.
TheOnePieceIsReal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Why do so many people die so young. They deserved better.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Only just saw this. Damn, Tower of Flower is (imo) no lie one of the best OP/EDs of an anime I've ever heard. Like everyone else has said, 28 is nowhere near long enough and I pray for her family.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:26 am Reply with quote
Holy crap! Another unexpected passing. What a bad luck year for Sayuri. She gets married early in the year then after that she gets an illness then.... All in just 6 months. What terrible luck. I feel bad for her. I hope her family and friends can get through this difficult year that started with happiness. I loved her songs in Rampo Kitan and BokuMachi. Thank you for your contribution. RIP

Bonus: I remember when her marriage was announced and it was revealed that she married Amaarashi. I thought it was fate because her first anime song was for Rampo Kitan's (inspired by Edogawa Rampo; commemorating the 50 anniversary of his passing) ED theme and the OP theme was performed by amazarashi. I wonder if she noticed when she decided to start a relationship with Amaarashi. Now, the article posted directly before this is about Edogawa Rampo (celebrating his birthday). The announcement was revealed on September 20th, the day she passed away. It feels like her fate was to be connected to these 2 things because that's a heck of a coincidence.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:50 am Reply with quote
Far too young to be have been taken. At the prime of her life Sad

Condolences to the Family and friends and everyone else effected by it. RIP
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2