• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dungeon People (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:04 am Reply with quote
I'm one of the rare deviants who didn't like the first episode of Delicious in Dungeon and then cycled off Netflix swearing to give it another chance someday, but I have found myself flashing back to Campfire Cooking in Another World, an anime about using monster ingredients for Japanese recipes that grew on me and became one of the few foodie shows I watched all the way through. Come to think of it, I think I read somewhere that it's getting a season 2...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 10:59 am Reply with quote
While I did not fall in love with the first episode of Dungeon Meshi it did hook me after a few more and has not let me go since. I am a sucker for a dungeon as the setting and especially so if the show tries something fresh/interesting. You may indeed want to try it again later Edjwald, especially since Meshi and Campfire Cooking are not that different in how they approach food and the enjoyment of it.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 2:26 pm Reply with quote
While Dungeon People is a chill show most of the time some of the episodes/segments very much remind you that the dungeon is not a kind place. The way the invader was dealt with (in brutal fashion) made that clear but the explanation about the recycling of corpses was also a tad dark. I was worried that Clay might find her father as a zombie on the lower floors for a moment but the show was quick to address that.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I think that the show is making me look at dungeons differently as time goes on, especially so after episode 8. Things like designing the dungeon and being lazy with parts of that, adding unique gimmicks plus using the boss door as a waiting sign... it makes for fascinating material.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

I agree. It's a brilliant premise. We've all seen a ton of fantasy shows with dungeons, but we just take the dungeons for granted. The genius of this show is posing the question... if dungeons really existed, how would they actually be created and maintained? As this show has proven over 8 episodes so far, there is a ton of content that can be mined from that simple idea.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:22 am Reply with quote
Yah, I think it's a different approach and pretty refreshing to watch too. The thing that struck me while watching the last episode was how this scenario would be the wet dream of anyone who's designed dungeons for an RPG table top game. It reminds me a little of a Korean web novel called Dungeon Defense though this anime is more centered on the nuts and bolts and ramifications of day to day dungeon operating, which is part of its appeal.

I am a little curious about what kind of being the DM is here.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Another interesting bit was added to the dungeon lore this week, the dungeon truly is connected to many facets of the kingdom it is located in. It keeps the nearby town and its citizens alive economical wise, has ties to the guild and even a contract with royalty with them plus some trading/selling

As for the fight: nice try yet not nearly good enough.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2024 3:36 pm Reply with quote
This contract arena was a fun episode on several levels. As much as I've enjoyed the behind the scene explanation of the dungeon mechanics, it was was in danger of becoming formulaic. It was cool watching the show step out of that comfort zone and flex a little. I was also entertained watching the MCs acting out of their comfort zone Bellehara trying to be a soul crushing symbol of fear and looking cute and hapless while administering a beatdown.. Clay decked out as a maid and trying to be unobtrusive. Fun stuff.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2024 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Another interesting episode this week, though it left me with two things I am unsure about. First is the main conflict surrounding Clay's adoptive father. The hints about him and how far he has gotten in the dungeon, his nickname that does not fit his usual fighting style... something is up and I am unsure about what exactly.

Secondly there is the matter of the goblins. The goblins being grown makes sense in a practical way but when it is stated that they have chosen to do so because breeding them by capturing female adventures was unrealistic.... it fits the sometimes dark bits of the show I suppose.
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2024 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Why do Japanese insist on the idea of goblins being rapists? Is this something like how they associate goblins with oni and oni with ogres, despite quite a separation existing between species in the west. Something in the way they write their names and categorise them together.

This series really likes slipping in some casually horrible details among all its cuteness. EG previously talking about rapist adventurers and talking about all the monsters who have been killed by our main character.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:01 am Reply with quote
Yeah, while not reaching Made in Abyss levels of darkness (for which my tender little heart is grateful) this anime about a kid whose parent went missing in a dungeon does have a weird edge that pokes out at weird times. But that's one of the things I like about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2